It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy aggression

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
little_blonde_chick7
Newborn
Newborn

Puppy - Puppy aggression Empty
PostSubject: Puppy aggression   Puppy - Puppy aggression EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 8:53 pm

I have a ten week old puppy and the last couple days she has shown some aggression in the form of growling and yipping at me when I tried to grab her gently by her collar so I could get my hand around her to pull her out from under the couch (she had crawled under the recliner foot part and she was trying to chew on a stray Bobby pin that had fallen under it) I didn't want her to chew on it and choke on it I finally managed to grab her body and pull her out and she also has growled at our nephew and nieces when they grabbed her head gently to pet her or hug her. We have corrected the kids on how to properly love the puppy and we watch the baby around her but she's only 10 weeks old so this is concerning to me. I don't want her to grow up being scared or hating kids because we always have kids around and our nephew lives with us and someday we want kids of our own so we definitely pay attention but I am concerned this could get worse and she might bite a kid or something. We want her to be really good with kids and love them like our pit bull does but we aren't sure what to do about this situation. We can't have a dog that will bite kids so if there is any way we can fix this now I would love some advice so it doesn't escalate, it just makes me uneasy because she just seems too young to show aggression. If you guys have any advice as to how I should handle this one would appreciate it greatly. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Puppy aggression   Puppy - Puppy aggression EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 11:02 pm

Hm... let's see. One comment is that a 10 week old puppy can't show aggression, what she can show is displeasure. It's like she's saying "I don't like that!" in the only way she knows how.

My first suggestion as to a "fix" is to not allow a little puppy as much freedom as you apparently have been. Try keeping an "in house" leash on her - a regular leash will work, but it's probably longer than you want or need. When she crawled under the settee, it would have been a simple matter to easily coax her out if you'd had a short leash on her. This also allows you to monitor her for those times when she's telling you she needs to go out or ... well, a whole slew of things. Oh, I didn't say but keep the other end of the leash attached to you or someone else who's responsible.

You don't say how old your kids are, but if they grabbing her and she's growling, then she's doing the right thing. She's saying "Don't do that!" and, I'm sorry, if one of your kids gets nipped then it's their fault for not listening to her. (( I can hear it now, "Al!!!!!!" )) I seriously doubt she'll bite, but she might nip if she's pushed - - puppies will nip each other when one puppy gets carried away with itself - we go from growling ( I don't like that! ) to a nip ( I said stop!! ) to normally just walking away ( If you don't want to play nice then I won't play ) It's when a puppy can't get away that they're more apt to nip and maybe draw a little blood - but this is a Looooonnnnggg way from a true bite and is not aggression by any stretch.

Huskies are, almost without exception, loving dogs. They'll tolerate a lot but they want you to listen to them. You don't want her to be aggressive - then don't set her up to be aggressive!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
little_blonde_chick7
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Puppy aggression   Puppy - Puppy aggression EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Thank you that is some good advice, the kids are ages 1 1/2 to 13. We are definatly going to teach the kids what is ok and what is not. What you said makes a lot of sense that that's the only way she knows how to communicate and since she's so small she can't really get away if a kid is holding her. I have leashed her in the house before but I don't do it all the time, only when she's not listening and settling down, because I was afraid of making her hate the leash. Idk if that can happen or not. I have been using a retractable leash so I can keep her close if I want her close or if I want to give her a little more when she is being good I can. It sounds like I can benefit by keeping her in he leash more if I need to do things around the house it would make it easier if she's right there so I can watch her. It's been a while since I've had a puppy and the first time I've had little kids around one that wasn't already grown so I have to relearn all this. Thank you so much for your input and advice.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy aggression   Puppy - Puppy aggression Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy aggression

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1