It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kona_18
Puppy
Puppy
Kona_18

Male Join date : 2019-01-04

husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? Empty
PostSubject: On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?   husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 12:27 am

As we close the wettest winter since '83 here in SoCal, we go head long into WIND season.

On Kona's walks, we often pass within view of a Coast Guard station. Today it is flying two red pennants: It's a gale. Since adopting Kona in August, I've found that regardless of weather, he wants to get out at least twice a day.

Today, the temp is nice - high 50's, but the wind is about 30 mph and carrying mist from the breakwall.
(This time of year, our temps vary - 27 and still the other morning, 55 and WINDY today.

Wool beanie - I'm a bald guy so protection and insulation are necessary
Wind/Rain Shell - Warm and dry start here
LS Tee Shirt - a tucked in base layer is important in the wind - in the morning I use a mid layer hoodie
Jeans - are appropriate for 99% of our walks
Bare feet - We do 2 miles in the sand - Kona loves to dip his paws! The last 1 is on pavement. I hose off all 6 feet with fresh water before we go inside. My work boots or UGG boots are my usual morning foot wear.

What gear do you use on your adventures?
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?   husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 1:04 am

Depends on where our adventure is but usually hiking pants, trail running shoes (I don't run, but they are great for hiking). Almost always my Columbia Silver Ridge shirt. Fleece zip up and beanie if it's cold. I bring a rain/ wind jacket in case I need them.

I bought some snow boots in anticipation for our snow hike over the weekend and was glad I had them. North Face Chilkats.

Normal walks are usually jeans, t-shirt etc.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?   husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 1:49 am

I'm in San Diego, so we are usually on the tail end of any storm in the winter, and the rest of the year, the seasons kinda just blend into each other. I mostly wear jeans and a t-shirt or my sweat pants, and unless it's unbearably hot, a hoodie. It can be a thinner hoodie when it's warmer, or the thicker Sherpa lined hoodies when it's cold but I always try to wear one. It's been my thought process that if I get too warm, that means it's too warm for the dogs too, so it's time to turn around and go home. Shoes I need to be comfortable, so it's either my Nike Jordan's or my DVS skateboarding shoes. Both are light, and comfortable. When I take my two on the mountain, hiking boots are helpful but not necessary so my shoes are what I wear there too.

As cold as it's been lately though, I'm wearing two hoodies and a jacket, haha.
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?   husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 9:35 am

I'm unfashionable, I never wear jeans for dogwalking...I am in sweatpants and Nike running sneakers. (like to run with my dog.)

Plus a shirt and a light fleece hooded jacket.

Then, on top of it all, my LL Bean Squall Jacket (when it's really nasty out)...beloved jacket - windproof and waterproof and makes me impervious so I can just stand there in the cold rain while he sniffs a bush!

In my pockets, two poopy bags and the keys.

@Kona_18  Wow you are brave to walk with bare feet! That is very SoCal of you. Cool
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

PostSubject: Re: On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?   husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 9:40 am

Ha ha, and should we get kickbacks for all these outdoor brand names we have mentioned. Very Happy
So far: North Face, Columbia, LL Bean, Nike, UGG, DVS.
Show us the money! wave
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?   husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 am

Shepsky13 wrote:
Ha ha, and should we get kickbacks for all these outdoor brand names we have mentioned. Very Happy
So far: North Face, Columbia, LL Bean, Nike, UGG, DVS.
Show us the money! wave

Don't get me started on brand names... when I get a hobby, watch out. Very Happy Last few years it's been backpacking (besides the husky hobby, of course). So much gear, so little time. lol!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?   husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 11:47 am

I wear normal clothes. Got a pair of Keen hiking boots I always wear and then jeans since I need belt loops. I attach my dogs to a walking belt so that my hands are free if I have two dogs. If I'm walking all 3 three by myself then I still can at least have one hand free. Sunglasses and wallet. I pack heat too since we do deep woods hikes and drug deals aren't uncommon to run into out in the forest sometimes, as well as bears and off-leash dogs, which is another reason I wear jeans. I don't fuss with much extra unless we are really going far, then I have a pack with water, extra everything, knife, first aid, utility gear, solar charger, trekking poles and food for me and the mutts.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?   husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 10:57 pm

Daily walks around the neighborhood = poop bags in the back pocket and off we go. Keepin' it simple.

Trail hikes are pretty much the same except I wear hiking shoes instead of regular sneakers.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?   husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 10:58 pm

You had to ask, didn't you. First off, were the finger lakes NY. That's a clue. Winter,? January? Expedition weight base layer. Wool socks. Snow pants. Fleece vest. Fleece balaclava. Knit neckwarmer and hat. Polypropylene glove liners. Insulated Carhartt analog hooded jacket. Insulated ski mittens. Either Sorel 40 below, high pac boots or Merrell high top hikers. YakTrax as needed.

Shed layers the seasons progress. Ultimately, down to capris, tee shirt, thin sports socks and Vasque low hikers. Or sweat pants and tee shirt. But then I need an apron for pockets.

husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? Kimg0010
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?   husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 12:26 am

Most of the year i do everything in teva sandals shorts a tshirt. Winter my carhartt overalls boots hat sweatshirt under armor and one of my jackets. Im in the rockies it gets cold and i always carry extra stuff incase the weather changes.
Back to top Go down
Kona_18
Puppy
Puppy
Kona_18

Male Join date : 2019-01-04

PostSubject: Re: On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?   husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 12:45 am

@artic_wind - I'm adopting the hoodie idea - makes perfect sense!

@Shepsky13 - I'm a life long surfer in a mostly rocky area, my feet are probably tougher than oak sole leather lol. I do wear shoes for pavement walks though.

@amymeme - That's what I figured - the dogs MUST walk LOL

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?   husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 2:24 am

[quote="Kona_18]

@amymeme - That's what I figured - the dogs MUST walk LOL

[/quote]

I've learned there is a limit, though. Worst night was low single digits, driving wind and heavy snow. Coming home, I began to get disoriented, couldn't see 2 feet in front of me. Finally, just trusted Ami and let him lead the way till we got to our house. Never again!!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?   husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 8:44 am

Ha! Amy, my limit is 20's. I refuse to go walking below 30 degrees.

I used to kill myself trying to get those "required" walks in regardless of weather. Once the kids came that went out the window. If the weather isn't good enough for me & the kids to go walking then we don't go. Dogs have to make do with the backyard.

This thread has me cracking up as it reminds me of the lengths I too used to go to. Not anymore! If I can't throw on boots and a coat it ain't happenin'!

We typically bottom out in the teens in winter here.

Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?   husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 9:35 am

We've been out as far down as -5. I will add a hat and gloves for that weather to my normal jeans, boots and carhartt winter garb. Don't usually spend too long out at that temp because I'll have a nose bleed after about a half hour but I'm fairly cold tolerant when I'm moving.

Now hunting season is a whole different story. If I'm sitting in a stand it's coveralls, over a hoodie and my carhartt coat with boots and two layers of socks with a full face mask and beanie under another hat, along with gloves and the shake hand warmers that I lay on the back of my neck while my propane buddy heater is tucked under my chair. I put way more effort into my clothing layer choices during deer season. But it's a lot harder to sit for 8 hours in 20 degrees than it is to walk for a half hour in -5. lol.

Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

PostSubject: Re: On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?   husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 10:15 am

@amymeme - I like the Snow Ninja look!

@TwisterII - agreed about the activity level. I'll start out on a jog/walk with Rumo when it's 17 degrees out (about the coldest it gets here!) and about 10 min into the walk I'll be sweating lightly - have to take down hood, unzip top of jacket! I figured out that if active, the best calculation is to dress so that you feel a bit chilly starting out...
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?   husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 11:30 am

Id rather the cold then the heat. You can always put something on but you hit a point when you cant take anything else off. Why i moved from Houston to nm then Colorado
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?   husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 1:46 pm

I have to admit, my threshold for NOT walking has gone way up since my last fall, some of you may remember - the epic fall with 2 dogs on long lines attached to waist belt 1.5 years ago? Forgot my flashlight, turned dark and....critters in the woods? Bad enough what it did to hip/back (nothing broken, just seriously bruised, possibly rearranged Rolling Eyes and face/hands bloody, gravel in my belly button....) Since then, my DIL had a concussion just from bumping her head on the trunk lid. And has resulted in 6 months of post concussion syndrome difficulties, headaches, concentration, focus, fatigue. And then, our mechanic had a stroke and died, my Mom's stroke and death...makes me acutely aware of the devastating nature of head injuries. And, since my meds give me capillary fragility, I'm a bit shy regarding any more falls and the possibility of a brain bleed. So - as long as the roads are clear, temperature/winds are not a problem. But snow on the roads? Nope, not anymore. Damn stuff hides the ice, I've taken one too many womps on my butt.

Makes me sad, though. They so love a good walk...and the colder the better for them.

As for the Sherpa lined hoodies? Love them for spring and fall. And...they have POCKETS. What's the big deal with pockets, you ask? First - my sweat pants don't have them. Second...stupid, stupid me, went out and bought 4 pairs of capris that fit, were inexpensive and very comfortable. AND DID NOT HAVE POCKETS!!! I need to carry my phone. Tissues. A place to carry the ecollar transmitter. A treat or two or three. Poop bags. Cough drops (my asthma meds give me dry mouth, the cough drops help a lot.) Girl needs her pockets. So pockets are not an issue in winter/spring/fall - a light jacket or hoodie, both have pockets. But come summer? Growl growl growl. Which is why you may see me walking the dogs wearing a bright orange vintage homemade apron I found at an estate sale!

I should also mention, if it is dusk or later, I do wear a lime green safety vest - I was driving down our road one late afternoon and my neighbor was out walking his german shepherd. The light was such that I did NOT see him until I was almost on top of him. The dark dog, his dark clothes...even though it was not quite even dusk yet, he just blended in with the shadows and the dark road. With no sidewalks out here and the cars, though infrequent...are FAST. Typically low 60's but some, I swear, are close to 100! So...safety vest it is!

And the final accoutrement, at least in summer? The ubiquitous fanny pack. Makes my kids eyes roll. But the thing is useful - with my bee allergy, I have to carry epi-pens if the temps are over 40 in spring summer and fall - bees will be flying. And, if a longer walk or hike, the big fanny pack that will also carry 2 water bottles. One for me, one for the dogs. I have a pack for Ami, too. Probably should get one for Z'ev. Been looking, but I want pink for him. And not too keen on spending 70 for a ruffwear pack so...still looking.

Long post. Sorry. Well, not so sorry lol!
Back to top Go down
Lycan1
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?   husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2019 12:37 pm

I go out 365 days a year twice a day. The only weather I'm carefull of is if it's hot. I still go out just make it earlier on the morning and later for evening to avoid the sun. My dog is not bothered if there are high winds or rain. I wear hiking boots and good waterproof trousers and jacket. In winter I have thermals. I keep my legs covered In summer as i live in a rural area and the grass is full of ticks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?   husky - On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out? Empty

Back to top Go down

On the 2 legged side of the leash - how do you outfit for taking your Husky out?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1