It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Burninghamz90
Newborn
Newborn

My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  Empty
PostSubject: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 10:03 pm

I just got my first husky pup and people keep telling me she is mixed with something. Any ideas on maybe with what ? I bought her as full blooded
Back to top Go down
Burninghamz90
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 10:06 pm

My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  20190313
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 10:12 pm

She looks like a big eared, long legged Husky puppy to me ... it's interesting that a lot of people know so much about Huskies and have never had one in their lives.  Ignore them.

btw - big ears and long legs, give her a while and she'll grown into them.  Pretty puppy!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 10:36 pm

Looks like a husky i have to remind myself every time i take spider out in public i get a wide range of what is spider. Most people think fluffy husky. Husky people seem to bitch about me having a wolf/husky in public. The point being most people dont know what they are looking at just agree with them and move on. In about 2 years there will be no mistaking you dog for something else
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 11:52 pm

That's just big ol' baby husky ears. She'll grow into them. What a beauty!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 1:09 am

Cute puppy, how old is she?

Her eyes are very large and round, my first thought was if she actually is mixed, possibly it's with Malamute but that'd be about the only Malamute thing I see in her. I've always been very particular when it comes to ears on my Huskies, I don't recall any of them being as large as the ones your pup has (they are not ginormous though, and one of the reasons I asked her age) but, she also isn't a very fluffy Husky and fluff can hide just how big ears are so I could be wrong there, too. IF she is mixed with anything, I'd bet it's further back in her lineage. She is very pretty, and looks very much a Husky. I'm sure you love her to death no matter what, so don't worry about what other people say.
Back to top Go down
Sasha_in_FL
Puppy
Puppy
Sasha_in_FL

Female Join date : 2019-03-15

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 9:34 am

Arctic_wind, she is 11 weeks old. people keep telling us she is mixed with German Shepard. They like to point out her bark as well as how narrow her snout is, is why they assume she is mixed.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 10:07 am

Lots of people with lots of opinions. Wink We had a guy in our obedience class tell me that our boy "HAD" to have some wolf in him. And another person say he "HAS" to be part Malamute.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 7:40 pm

[quote="Sasha_in_FL"]Arctic_wind, she is 11 weeks old. people keep telling us she is mixed with German Shepard. They like to point out her bark as well as how narrow her snout is, is why they assume she is mixed.

Sent from Topic'it App[/quote

Wow, some long legs for only 11 weeks! I'm not seeing German Shephard. Her snout doesn't look to narrow to me and from what I've noticed in my huskies is that females generally have a more fox like face. She is a cutie for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sasha_in_FL
Puppy
Puppy
Sasha_in_FL

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 7:46 pm

Funny you say fox like, my dad joked saying she was mixed with a fox! I love her with all my heart regardless, it's just funny to hear everyone's opinions of my own dog not realizing they might just sound dumb.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 7:53 pm

Smile

My last boy husky before the two I have now, had one blue eye and one brown eye...I had a person tell me he must be mixed because both eyes weren't blue My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  1625187496

Back to top Go down
Sasha_in_FL
Puppy
Puppy
Sasha_in_FL

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 8:00 pm

Hahaha!! That's so funny. When we first got Sasha and my dad and sister in law saw her, they both said she's not full husky because her eyes are brown and according to them, huskies can't have brown eyes!
Back to top Go down
Burninghamz90
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Getting bigger    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 9:07 pm

She is 7 months today . For the longest I thought she was mixed for some reason . Do she look full blooded Siberian to you guys and is she good size for 7 months ?My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  Collag10
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 9:22 pm

Hmm too much of a stop for a gsd. Big ears. Opinions are useless people see what they want to see. Someone told me i had the worst bred husky he had ever seen. So now spiders breed in public is "badly bred husky"

So i was speaking with someone today who told me despite the dna test, spiders mom is a husky. She was a DNA verified mid content wolf with only husky mixed in. The thing is she was an f7. At what point does a wolfdog become a dog? And at what point would the breeder i got spider from be breeding wolfy looking huskies instead of wolfdogs. I think with foxes its like 7 or 8 generations.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 10:00 am

She's still looking like an awkward husky puppy. Some take a while to grow into their ears. Some lower quality dogs never really do. My big white male always makes people think he's a white GSD but he's been DNA tested pure.

I do not believe there is a hard and fast cutoff where a hybrid goes from being a hybrid and just a dog. Those kinds of cutoffs are determined more by your state. Here, it's 10%. Over 10% content then it is a hybrid and requires paperwork and permits. Depending on the ego of the WD community representative you speak with on any given day they may say anything below 10% is just as dog as well. Some places say any detectable content makes it a hybrid. The embark DNA test has detected down to less than 2% content. That was on a dog whose content was 9 generations back. To be legally safe it's best to consider any detectable content to still be a wolf-dog, because it is.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 3:07 pm

Colorado goes purely off looks. If it looks like a wolf its a wolf if it looks like a dog its a dog. Where i am, legally i could have a tiger in the backyard and not need a permit. Wolfdog groups seem to be more of an ego thing then an actual being helpful thing. Also spider is an anomaly (low content high percentage), and the person that said her dam being an f7 made her half dog, also said the anomaly was impossible. I consider spider a wolfy husky. When people ask if she has wolf in her i dont lie about it but if people dont ask i dont advertise it i just call her a husky mix.
Back to top Go down
dekiai
Newborn
Newborn
dekiai

Male Join date : 2014-09-12

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptySat Jul 20, 2019 11:02 pm

She looks like a regular husky to me. A little big on the ears, but a wide-eyed bright little pup!

Trust me, it stings whenever people tell you that your dog isn't a husky when you know it is. People used to always ask me if my Lightning was a full husky just because they'd never seen a sable coated one before. Always brought up the odd conversation of explaining my dog's 'unique' coat color. Don't mind them and keep on keeping on. You and your little one will be fine. Even if she weren't a full-blooded husky, I pray you'll love her all the same!
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptySat Jul 20, 2019 11:15 pm

Yesterday someone asked if squirt was part corgi lol. Of course they also accused me of being mean to her because she was so happy to go to dodge to get my oil changed and then i took her to the vet My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  20180813
My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  20181011

Both mine are mixes
Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 12:19 pm

my Kiki is gsd and husky and those same types tell me I must be mistaken, she has no gsd. just ignore them.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 2:16 pm

I really get a kick out of people when they ask me what type of dogs I have ... my response is simply "Huskies"

That really riles them since I have on large, brown/white (Alaskan) Husky; one black/white husky Siberian Husky; and one 'typical' silver/grey/white Siberian Husky.

Normally the "discussion" stops there and turns to how they manage to live in the Texas heat (it was only 105 yesterday - they were all crashed in the house, like I was!)

I've found, in the long run, to let people think whatever they want. I'm comfortable that my two Sibes are close to purebred and my Alaskan is - well - an Alaskan. If I DNA'd any of them, it'd be the Alaskan, 'cause I am curious what some breeder put together in his makeup.

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 10:00 pm

Id like to dna test my terrier. I think hes some type of terrier/schnauzer mixed with poodle?he is long wire hair
in front and short hair on back with the eyebrows and mustache/beard Doesnt explain being red merle though. Hes cute anyway and its fun to guess. Whatever he is he is the most hyper dog ive ever owned and phenomenal with livestock. His name is splinter after master splinter the rat from ninja turtles. Theres amazing resemblance
Back to top Go down
Raze
Newborn
Newborn
Raze

Female Join date : 2013-08-25

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyWed Jun 17, 2020 9:07 pm

I have a mix, mum was pure husky (silver), dad a pure Belgian Groenendael (black). People either think he's husky/GSD mix or ask me if he's mixed with wolf which I think is hilarious since you can't import wolf/wolf dog mixes to Australia Very Happy

My Avatar was him at 6 weeks, this one is approx 4 or 5 months (looking a bit more like the Belgian side)
My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  Camera10

Now at 6 years
My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  Chilli12
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyWed Jun 17, 2020 9:17 pm

Okay, I didn't say this on your other message but what you have is correctly called an Alaskan Husky. That's a mixed breed used for racing but I've also seen it used to simplify the "What is he?" question ... if they know what an Alaskan Husky is then that answers the question, if they don't well, you've still provided a simple answer (for some of the simple people!)

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyWed Jun 17, 2020 10:27 pm

We simplify squirts breeding by calling her a Navajo husky. Explaining the difference between the designer naid and the naid village dog is tiring
Back to top Go down
Nicole Raslich
Newborn
Newborn
Nicole Raslich

Female Join date : 2016-12-02

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  EmptyThu Jun 18, 2020 1:23 pm

Looks like a husky to me, ours has that same buff colored face and almost a Shepard saddle so everyone says he must be a mix too. Our last male (our 1st husky) everyone thought was a runt but he was actually perfect breed standard and our 2nd husky, a female, everyone thought had to be part wolf. People are crazy. They think all huskies are supposed to be large, malamute size and black and white.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something    My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something  Empty

Back to top Go down

My first husky and people keep telling me she is mixed with something

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1