It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hunting and fishing with squirt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

Hunting and fishing with squirt Empty
PostSubject: Hunting and fishing with squirt   Hunting and fishing with squirt EmptyThu Apr 11, 2019 10:17 am

Squirt is a phenomenal hunter and during rabbit season i run her like a sight hound where shes leashed until we see what we want as a target and i release her.
Yesterday i got a ticket from the game warden after squirt got 2 trout. She herds them into shallow water then snags them when they jump out of the water. Apparently i need a fishing license for squirt to go fishing. Ive never heard of a dog needing a fishing license (shes registered with cpw as a hunting dog) but then again ive never known or heard of a dog fishing.
Historically the chukchi dogs were left on their own during warmer months. And the Navajo naid ran in packs and was used to hunt big game for the Navajo people. So with the cross the hunting seems normal but fishing????? Does anyone elses dog fish
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Hunting and fishing with squirt   Hunting and fishing with squirt EmptyThu Apr 11, 2019 10:53 am

Sounds odd. I suppose it's like having hunting dog where you'd still need hunting license? But, unless you're keeping/ eating them, I don't see why you'd need a license.

Our dogs eat fish... is that close? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Hunting and fishing with squirt   Hunting and fishing with squirt EmptyThu Apr 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Got it fixed had to amend my hunting with dog permit to include fish Lol. Usually i keep the ones she catches and we share them
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Hunting and fishing with squirt   Hunting and fishing with squirt EmptyThu Apr 11, 2019 4:22 pm

LOL now Squirt has official permission to catch fish out of the river! Good for her!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Hunting and fishing with squirt   Hunting and fishing with squirt EmptyTue Apr 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Here fishing with a dog would be no different than hunting with a gun (they are a tool for hunting if you are knowingly letting them herd, catch, kill game. Especially if you are seen handling the game), only for certain game it is illegal. I can't use my dog to take down deer or turkey. Though we can use them to take down hogs. Anymore you have to be very careful using them to track downed game. We've had to take dogs out to track wounded deer before but have to be careful. Luckily we don't hunt public land though so easier to get away with tracking without having to try to convince a game warden that's all you are doing.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Hunting and fishing with squirt   Hunting and fishing with squirt EmptyTue Apr 16, 2019 7:17 pm

Here there is a difference between using a dog as a tool vs letting the dog go in for the kill. And that can only be done with birds and small game here. Also i dont so much worry about downed animals i run her like a sight hound and usually the rabbits are either alive or dying when she brings them back.. i even went as far as training her not to damage the rabbit. And deer cant be killed by a dog unless it happens within the fence but with wasting syndrome warnings i dont want them eating or biting the deer. I hunt in the rio grande national forest and they have weird regulations on hunting with dogs and from there which animals can be hunted in which way.

Speaking of the forest i saw an endangered black footed ferret in my driveway last night
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Hunting and fishing with squirt   Hunting and fishing with squirt EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 9:36 am

It's always fun to see something unexpected. Don't think we have those here. We get excited over Road Runners. The cars and the birds. Don't see either very often. But I understand why there aren't many of the birds.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Hunting and fishing with squirt   Hunting and fishing with squirt EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 9:49 am

When i worked at a visitor center in new mexico where can we find a roadrunner or a tumble weed was number 1 and 2 of questions people asked me. I have a wildlife super highway that crosses the front yard. Last year we set up a trailcam got some really cool pics before a blackbear broke it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hunting and fishing with squirt   Hunting and fishing with squirt Empty

Back to top Go down

Hunting and fishing with squirt

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1