It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be! Empty
PostSubject: Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be!   Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be! EmptySun Apr 21, 2019 5:41 pm

Sometimes I hate being a husky mom. Hate been a rural land dweller. Damn Z'ev!

I was out pruning an out of control grape vine on the edge of my vegetable garden, scheduled to be plowed and tilled this week. Heard some squeeking. Damn Mama Rabbit made a nest in what is to be the peas/beans bed this year. And Z'ev found out. Given his muzzle he can only mangle the babies, not eat them. One is gone Sad Two have skin tears, the rest, don't know how many but waaayyyy more than I want in my garden, are fine.

I've called a wildlife rehabilitation place in Ithaca - said this time of year there are hundreds of calls and not likely anyone can take them. Best bet is leave them be, when the Mama comes back tonight, she will realize the nest has been found and will relocate them. If not, I should relocate them not far away so she can find them again.

I HAVE TWO HUSKIES!!! And I don't want rabbits anywhere near my garden!!!

I can't bring myself to drown them.  I can't bring myself to let Ami in there to eat them.  I can't even bring my self to just spread them out on the ground to perish from exposure.  I am a wuss.

Sigh. Why wasn't I born a psychopath Sad Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be!   Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be! EmptySun Apr 21, 2019 6:02 pm

I think people who love dogs generally love animals...and are compassionate to them.
I love my dog, but I also loved my cat.
And our series of cute wheeking guinea pigs which we had when the kids were little.
As a teen, I spent my weekends at stables riding horses and mucking stalls. Love horses...
Last week I helped a turtle that was crossing the street.
Even the mice in our pantry were “ catch and release”...we trapped them with peanut butter, brought them to a vacant lot, and released them under a bush.

Animals have their own lives, our fellow creatures on earth, we should try to be kind to them...
I am glad you are not a psychopath!! :-)

PS You could try “ catch and release” on the bunnies...relocate them to the fields way off your property!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be!   Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be! EmptySun Apr 21, 2019 6:13 pm

Shepsky13 wrote:

PS You could try “ catch and release” on the bunnies...relocate them to the fields way off your property!

That would be great...except these babies don't even have their eyes open yet and can barely move around. According to the wildlife guy I spoke with, mama rabbits visit the babies once in the morning and once at night and leave them alone for the rest of the day. I suppose that is to protect from predators. Huskies excluded, of course Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be! 1625187496
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be!   Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be! EmptySun Apr 21, 2019 9:51 pm

I would have a tough time with bunnies too, even if they were invading my garden (if I had one) etc.

Now gophers? Different story.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be!   Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be! EmptyMon Apr 22, 2019 9:49 am

I can't drown them, but I can thump them in the head. Being a raw feeder, I've done away with a few rabbits in my time, though usually adults. Babies make good snacks for dogs though.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be!   Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be! EmptyMon Apr 22, 2019 1:53 pm

Jenn - I wish I was so configured. Babies are still present this morning. I've hatched up a plan that is a good balance with my conscience AND the health of my garden. With the weather being as it is, I'll leave them in place until Thurs/Fri. Then, if they are still in place, I'll move them 10 feet to the west, out of the way of the tractor. I'll cover the few vulnerable plants with chicken wire to protect from Mama. As soon as the babies are able to eat greenery, I'll trap them and release in the brush of the conservation area across the road. Once they are 2-3 weeks old, I'll put up something to keep them from escaping. Apparantly, baby rabbits are extremely difficult to keep alive without Mama so rehabbing them is close to a death sentence anyway. And...if a predator gets them, so be it.

My guideline:

https://www.2ndchance.info/bunnies.htm
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be!   Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be! EmptyMon Apr 22, 2019 3:23 pm

That is a great and informative website!

That sounds like about all you can be expected to do for them...
keeping them from being husky snacks,
and giving them a chance at life. :-)

(Animal-lover viewpoint here...I have family members who have put poison in their backyard to get rid of badgers, use deathtraps for rats, etc...I am in the minority in my family and maybe the human race, I don't know )

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be!   Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be! EmptyMon Apr 22, 2019 5:10 pm

D race, as far as I know it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be!   Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be! Empty

Back to top Go down

Sometimes Being a Husky Mom Not All It's Cracked Up to Be!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1