It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help with the new guy!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dexthedog
Newborn
Newborn

Help with the new guy! Empty
PostSubject: Help with the new guy!   Help with the new guy! EmptyTue Apr 30, 2019 12:12 am

Hi guys. We took in dex a little over a year ago.
Was wondering if someone could help us out
Wanted to know if any professionals had any thoughts as to the type of husky our guy is.
We have been recommended to breed him but are unsure. Someone said an alaskan husky based on size he is about 30 inches tall(head)
Any advice would be appreciated.
He is very healthy and very active!
Weighs about 74 lbs. Is 2 years old in July. Very smart and very affectionate. Help with the new guy! 20190410Help with the new guy! 20190410
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Help with the new guy!   Help with the new guy! EmptyTue Apr 30, 2019 12:06 pm

No idea what type of husky he is, but I'd never breed a dog unless I knew their family history going back multiple generations.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Help with the new guy!   Help with the new guy! EmptyTue Apr 30, 2019 6:52 pm

I wouldnt breed him there are enough unwanted dogs. Either embark or wisom could tell you the breed but unless your breeding for performance or hunting where bloodlines matter less and its more about the dogs ability to do a job ei alot of terriers and hounds but if not being bred for performance get him neutered
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Help with the new guy!   Help with the new guy! EmptyWed May 01, 2019 9:41 am

Definitely don't breed. At 74 pounds, he is way out of standard for a husky. As was mentioned, you don't know any of his background, what genetic defects he is a carrier for or even if he is pure. And at just under 2 years old he is only now coming up on the age where genetic issues will start showing and you can do the proper OFA and Cerf tests for hips and eyes to know what you are dealing with. I hear people say "you should breed" a lot anytime they see a dog they think is pure (whether there's papers or not and regardless of whether the dog actually meets breed standard). It takes a lot more than just a purebred dog mixed with another purebred dog to be a breeder.

An Alaskan Husky is just a husky mix. They are not a breed per se. Size doesn't dictate Alaskan or not. He's a good looking pet-quality dog, but he isn't breeding quality. A good general rule of thumb can be had going through this flow chart and answering the questions honestly.

Help with the new guy! Should_you_breed_your_dog2

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Help with the new guy!   Help with the new guy! EmptyWed May 01, 2019 6:41 pm

Im a huge fan of dna verified pedigrees i have them on spider and shadow. Akc is even on board with dna verification

And by that chart i should breed spider... which is funny because im sure the world does not need more husky wolfdogs just like it doesnt need any more mutts or chihuahuas. Some people have this magical idea that all animals should reproduce. Someone in town wants to use shadow as a sire. When i told them he has pra and is going blind they said "but hes so big and pretty dont you want at least one puppy by him". My response was 1 blind german shepherd was 1 blind dog to many. They understood me being sarcastic and rude but for 3 years they have been pestering me and it took being rude for them to get the point. I really dont like being rude to my neighbors but i also dont like playing into peoples fantasies when it involves my animals

I did have a sire of spiders puppies all set up tried to breed her winter of 17-18 introduced spider to the male was going well until he tried to mount her and she ripped the poor wolf to shreds. His owners will not allow me to reattempt breeding spider with him. I figure its not ment to be and now im looking at having spider spayed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with the new guy!   Help with the new guy! Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with the new guy!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: The Welcome Mat-