It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Growling and biting part 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

Growling and biting part 2 Empty
PostSubject: Growling and biting part 2   Growling and biting part 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2019 9:33 am

My Pup, 7 months now seems to have an issue with growling and even biting. She doesnt do it to me anymore however the other night she had a bone, there was also a ice cube near her, my mother went to kick the ice cube away and the dog growled very loud and bit my mothers foot. Wasnt bad, didnt require medical attention but you can see two teeth marks on her foot.

My question is , is it as simple as taking those bones away permanently or should I seek a professional. 99 percent of the time shes very loving and usually sits on my mothers lap half the day and cries when my mom leaves, etc. Its perplexing.
Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: Growling and biting part 2   Growling and biting part 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2019 9:35 am

Should also add that she got spayed a week ago as well, not sure what hormonal effect that could have, my first female dog. I will also say that I can take a bone or anything away from her and she wont say a peep, I just want to stop something before it gets worse if it is in fact something I should take her to see someone about.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Growling and biting part 2   Growling and biting part 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2019 9:49 am

They get in a zone sometimes. If she was focused on the bone and your mom surprised her she may have snapped reactively no knowing that your mom was moving the cube and not out to take her bone. I usually click my tongue if my boy is eating and I'm going to be stooping down in the region of his bowl just so he knows I'm coming in. He is food aggressive but has come a long way. If I need something from him I do an exchange to get it and then give it back later. I can throw stuff in his bowl now without him automatically thinking I'm going to take his food away rather than give him something new and most of that started by just making sure he knows I'm around. Getting his attention and handing him something small while he's still in the middle of working on something else so he is paying attention to me and used to me potentially stooping down around him while he eats to break the cycle of him always thinking I'm taking something away when I'm not even after what he's working on. The only time I completely take something away for good, or at least for a long time, is if the guarding is bad enough that they hold their ground with it continually, even when they aren't working on it. A dog needs to be able to not worry about their stuff. If they are too fixated to the point they will actively fight you for it and guard when they aren't chewing on it, then it needs to go until you have had time to work on redirecting and not guarding lower value items. Work up to releasing the higher value stuff.

Biting, or not biting, isn't about how nice they are or how much they love a person. It's about their frame of mind at the time of the incident. It doesn't matter who the person is, if you startle them you run the risk of getting bit. If they are fixated on something they perceive as high value at that moment then you run the risk of getting bit. You can't become afraid of them and let them get away with it, biting is bad and you need to make it known to the dog that you won't tolerate it, but you don't want to set them up for failure either by never trying to let them know you are around or giving them things that they can't yet handle being nice about. Your pup is young. It's all a natural part of setting the boundaries and making them and everyone else adhere to them.

Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Growling and biting part 2   Growling and biting part 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2019 9:53 am

Your mom needs to go through the same steps that you did to get where you can take things from her. More than likely your mom startled her. She may have been looking at her mom but her brain was fully on the bone and she just reacted, but they respect the people who work with them and create the bond of respect with them. They don't just blindly hand respect to people all the time simply because they are in the house. You're the one that has worked with her so she respects you and what you want. If others don't work with her and establish that order and same rules then she will put pressure on them if she thinks that she can.

Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Growling and biting part 2   Growling and biting part 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2019 10:40 am

Mika is like this with the other dogs, but not people... but I'm still careful if she's focused on "her" bone or whatever and I want to pet her etc. I'll do like Jenn does and whistle, click my tongue, say "Hi Mika" as I'm walking up so she knows I'm coming. If I need to take something away from her, I'll almost always trade her for something else.

I'd echo the comments above about having your mom start some training with her.
Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: Growling and biting part 2   Growling and biting part 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2019 10:41 am

Makes sense, thank you. I do know she was intently going at the bone and knowing my mother she acted quickly and like you  said startled her.

For now I will only allow her to have bones in my room, its where she usually takes them anyways. My mother seems relectlant to work on it, I think she is intimidated by the dog. She has had a poodle for 15 years, not use to a 49 pound puppy. im going to try to talk her into working with her.

btw, if anyone is reading this and wants to know how I got her to stop....  I went once to the pup and tried taking the bone, she growled. I told her no firmly and took it,   when she let me I petted her and said good girl. then did it again 5 mins later, the growl was more muffled and quiet. waited 5 more minutes and then tried it again, each time praising her when she let me. then for the next 2 days I did the same, maybe 5 times I took the bone away but gave it right back so she knew I wasnt taking it away. hasnt growled since.

Once again, thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Growling and biting part 2   Growling and biting part 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Growling and biting part 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1