It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

husky - Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID) Empty
PostSubject: Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID)   husky - Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID) EmptyMon Jun 24, 2019 11:54 pm

What's up guys!
Out of curiosity I wanted to know if I'll ever be able to achieve this much obedience from my husky?
I know huskies are stubborn but are most definitely trainable,....but are they to this extent, with this much self control, drive and obedience?(In a large fenced area)
Not including off-leash, as that is out of the question for a husky... lol!

This is my first husky and training is going great, but was curious as I haven't seen any huskies online doing high level obedience and was wondering if it's possible or will I just go crazy trying to get this much obedience.

Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID)   husky - Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID) EmptyTue Jun 25, 2019 12:41 am

You could get your dog to learn those commands, but maybe not at that speed.  Understand, there is a reason Larry is using that dog for the videos.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID)   husky - Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID) EmptyTue Jun 25, 2019 10:50 am

It depends on the dog. It's not necessarily out of the question, but it will be more difficult, not as fast, and it might just be out of the question for your particular dog. It takes a certain personality to do what is in the video. Even some examples of the breed shown above can't do it. While breed is a major factor, because huskies just weren't developed for this kind of work while GSDs and Belgians were, sometimes a pup goes against the grain and can surprise you. But I wouldn't expect it and I wouldn't get upset if you spend a ton of time working on this and just never see it. So you also need to ask, will your dog have any fulfillment in doing this? More than likely you will see your husky give you "the look" and wonder why on earth you want them to run laps before fetching the ball if the end goal is to fetch the ball. Huskies tend to be big askers of why. And they will want an answer that isn't "because I said so..."

Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID)   husky - Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID) EmptyThu Jun 27, 2019 1:55 am

Oh! That’s Larry Krohn! He is a famous top K9 trainer and well known by German shepherd owners.

So I would say, unless you have an unusually responsive husky...adjust your mindset...
that’s a high bar!

My dog is half shepherd and after just a few reps, he would sit every time, even in Petsmart. He will come running if I call him in a dogpark. There is this innate desire to work and obey and please...On walks, he checks in with me a lot and adjusts his behavior to what I want. So, I am NOT a good dog trainer and we don’t practice much...he just seems to WANT to work with me? When we went to obedience class, he was the only dog of 8 dogs that refused to go with the teacher to do a demo. He would not leave my side. I am not saying all this to brag...I am pointing out that the GSD breed often naturally has a temperament which makes it easier to do advanced training. ( Check out schutzhund and mondioring videos...incredible stuff...)

So if you’re going to set a mental training goal for your husky, a husky video would be better?

( And just to let you know...I deal with issues like growling and snapping at strangers. We board our dog if we have a party at our house, to be safe. It’s not all a “walk in the park” to have a GSD, even a halfGSD. many GSD owners deal with issues like aggression, reactivity...there are stories of bites and visits from animal control and muzzling...they HAVE to train a lot, because without training, their dog can become a dangerous liability.)

Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

PostSubject: Re: Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID)   husky - Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID) EmptyThu Jun 27, 2019 2:02 am

BTW I think it’s very cool that you enjoy training your husky!!

Go for it and you can see what he is capable of, he may amaze you :-)

Now if only I could take my own advice, ha ha ha

Back to top Go down
Kona_18
Puppy
Puppy
Kona_18

Male Join date : 2019-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID)   husky - Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID) EmptyThu Jun 27, 2019 2:04 am

IMHO - As a breed, Huskies are highly intelligent and trainable. The real question is motivation - "Why do I want to ________?"

As I type, the girls are running Kona through his tricks. He's nailing most of them since there are treats on the line.

Kona will ALWAYS come when I have a treat, leash, keys or my surf check hoodie on - he knows that he's going to get something good. He responds to most joring commands instantly - except "whoa" - he still wants to pull.
Sometimes he will come when called, IF he's wondering what I have or affection sounds good.

If he doesn't see a benefit for him, Kona isn't interested in obedience.

Oddly, I find that knowing that makes training MUCH easier - sometimes I can "convince" him that the training is FUN and he WANTS to do it
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID)   husky - Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID) EmptyThu Jun 27, 2019 10:20 am

So we do " training by osmosis" sometimes with spider. That is a wolf trait not a husky trait.

I did shutzhund with shadow before the pra became really evident was loads of fun. That said i muzzle shadow in public, if people come over he gets put in the bedroom and the biggest issue is hes bit 6 people. He was doing his job im just not sure the ups guy or the plumber understood that. The only bite that was questionable was also the only time hes jumped the fence. My neighbor's kids were outside and their dad who had no custody rights tried to kidnap them. Shadow mauled the guy. He was given a public service award for stopping a kidnapping

My girls would never go after someone. Spider would run away and squirt would think its a new person to pet her.

My shepherd is not a pet. He has a job knows his job and does his job 100% all the time. And he loves it. My girls are a different story although with squirt if i can get her to focus she is just as responsive as shadow. Its the getting her to focus. Spider i will say is well trained when she feels like it. She knows what to do when to do it, just doesnt see the point of it so it becomes a refusal. One thing thats been a lifesaver that spider is great at is right before my hubby has a seizure she will make him sit down or lay down or pin him against the wall and howl. Its a 30 second warning i never attempted to train her for it and shes been doing it since 8 months old. She will not do it in public because she gets upset and forgets she has a job. Im very very thankful for her 30 second warning though. Im convinced shes saved my hubby from cracking his skull when he had a seizure last weekend in the bathroom.

Of the breeds i have experience with, id put huskies in the middle of the trainability scale. I grew up with Tibetan mastiffs a leonberger ridgebacks and wolfdogs and a very violent mentally ill springer spaniel. Huskies would be on par with the wolfdogs but still below the leonberger and the spanial, but way way way above the Tibetan mastiffs( my dad bred them we had 16 when i was a kid) and still above the rhodesian ridgebacks. Different breeds came along for different reasons. And do drastically different things for different reasons.

Without getting into breed (or type) debates, some of the best dogs ive seen were GSD pit crosses. Or pit/lab mixes. They are less intense and better all around family dogs then most pure breds. They are extremely easy to train.

Every breed has its positive and negative aspects. The designer dog movment tries to fix that by mixing less intense or better balanced breeds onto more intense breeds ie the pomsky. Sometimes it works other times its a disaster.

Because spider is a wolf/husky i spend an astonishing amount of time with her training. The reason being even though she is vaccinated rabies is not aproved for wolves and wolfdogs and a nip that breaks skin would be all ot took to have her put to sleep to be tested for rabies. And spiders training is less focused on obedience and more focused on responsiveness to me in stressful situations. Im still really not sure what went on at the va clinic with her monday. She kept freaking out when her front feet touched the floor. If i kept her front feet up on my shoulders she was fine. I ended up carrying her like a baby. Im happy that she looked to me when she got stressed out instead of peeing or screaming or acting like a lunatic (it happens) im just glad the va lets me bring her in to work with her there, because she will never be a service dog in public. Unless i get a service dog for the service dog.

On a side topic all my dogs are on the spot well trained if there is rotisserie chicken involved. THAT is my real secret but still doesnt always work with spider outside of the house and the yard
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

PostSubject: Re: Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID)   husky - Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID) EmptySat Jun 29, 2019 11:29 pm

Wow, what breed is Shadow?

That is what I fear the most...a bite on my property! My dog growled and snapped at my client once, that may have been one of the worst moments of my life.

My impression is that huskies are generally playfu, funny  friendly, talkative!
Back to top Go down
CloverField
Puppy
Puppy
CloverField

Female Join date : 2017-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID)   husky - Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID) EmptySat Jun 29, 2019 11:57 pm

Just wanted to put it out there that huskies can 110% be trained off leash if you use the proper tools and with lots of training
husky - Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID) _dsc6210
husky - Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID) _dsc5710
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID)   husky - Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID) EmptySun Jun 30, 2019 1:01 am

I respectfully, strongly disagree.  I had an exception too at one time, she came home every time I called her ... until one time she didn't.  The breed, by reputation is NOT reliable off lead, no matter how much work goes into their training.

If you want to allow yours off lead, that's your choice.  But please don't suggest to others that they can be trustworthy off lead, those of us who have lost one know better.  It was my heart that broke when she didn't come home ...

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

PostSubject: Re: Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID)   husky - Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID) EmptySun Jun 30, 2019 8:43 am

Al, I'm sorry to hear. That must have been so hard.
I also don't let my dog offleash, even though he is half-GSD and never seems to disobey commands. But he has a long line that we use in open fields, he has a fenced yard to play in, and we take him on long walks and hikes.

I have a bit more "info dump" about training since I like to read about dogs....

In Stanley Coren's book about dog intelligence, there is a study done on trainability. (Note it's "trainability" and NOT intelligence). German Shepherds are near the top of the list, along with poodles and labs and border collies. They will obey a command 95% of the time, within the first 5 repetitions. They work offleash well with their handlers if solidly trained.

Siberian Huskies are further down the list...they are in the middle as far as trainability, and classified as more of an "independent Northern breed." They are very intelligent, but they may choose not to obey.

Why you want your northern breed to be independent: when your Husky is pulling your sled and senses thin treacherous ice, you may have commanded him to MUSH but he plants his feet and refuses to go. Because he knows better - because he refuses your command, he has saved your life. A slavishly obedient husky (and his owner) would not survive in that world. Unquestioning obedience was not a trait "selected for" in breeding huskies, and to this day they will still say, "OK, you want me to sit - but is that a good idea or not?" (It's almost always considered a good idea if it involves food) Smile
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID)   husky - Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID) EmptySun Jun 30, 2019 10:33 am

@shepsky13 shadow is a german shepherd. One that failed temperment assessment with the USAF. His dad is german sv registered but is a drug dog for the Colombian military named sombra (shadow in spanish) his mom was a solid black Czech bred GSD known for having agressive intense litters. But shadow was born outside sante fe nm.

The AF didnt want him because he was too standoffish, and my hubby was in and out the va and constantly calling the MPs to check on me. They reccomended shadow because for the exact reason he failed their temperament test made him the perfect dog for personal protection. Hes a fun dog but will only listen to me.husky - Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID) 20190614
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

PostSubject: Re: Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID)   husky - Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID) EmptySun Jun 30, 2019 11:21 am

Wow, so Shadow comes from a working GSD line!
I thought he was a Husky Smile so I was surprised that he would actually bite anybody!

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID)   husky - Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID) EmptySun Jun 30, 2019 11:52 am

My girls would never bite anyone
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID)   husky - Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID) Empty

Back to top Go down

Train a husky to have this much obedience?! (VID)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1