It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My first husky is getting bigger

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Burninghamz90
Newborn
Newborn

My first husky is getting bigger  Empty
PostSubject: My first husky is getting bigger    My first husky is getting bigger  EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 9:11 pm

She is 7 months today . We thought she was mixed for a while because that's what a lot of people were telling us . What do you guys think ? Full blooded siberian and does she look health and on track for 7 months ?My first husky is getting bigger  Collag11My first husky is getting bigger  Collag11
My first husky is getting bigger  15630610
Back to top Go down
Burninghamz90
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: My first husky is getting bigger    My first husky is getting bigger  EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 9:23 pm

I also noticed her tail seems to always be curled up and everyone says it's not supposed to be that curly.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: My first husky is getting bigger    My first husky is getting bigger  EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 11:39 pm

Most of the time I say ignore "everyone" because everyone has an opinion and most of the time they're wrong (now that's just my opinion, mind you).

In this case, they're right, a Husky's tail should curl that tightly; when they're relaxed their tails should be relaxed as well.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: My first husky is getting bigger    My first husky is getting bigger  EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 10:03 am

Your dog has what is known as a snap tail. It is considered a fault in the show community and should not do that, but is common in dogs of lower breed quality.

Puppy
Puppy
Kona_18

Male Join date : 2019-01-04

PostSubject: Re: My first husky is getting bigger    My first husky is getting bigger  EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 4:59 pm

Great looking pup!

We had a somewhat similar experience:

We received Kona from a local shelter almost a year ago. They said he was a Sibe (I didn't know yet that 62 lbs is already too heavy - and he was ribby...)

While researching (Googled Siberian Husky vs Alaskan Husky vs Malamute), we noticed that in very broad descriptions:

Pure Sibes are described as having a "saber" tail - held out in an upswept crescent.
lighter - shorter - finer bones - narrower head and longer muzzle - fence jumpers

Alaskans have no standard at all since they are not considered a breed but instead, a type*.
*if the non-husky parent has a curly tail (Akita, Chow, etc.) the tail can be very curly

Mals Generally carried in a plume over the back
heavier - taller - heavy boned - broad head and shorter, wider muzzle - fence diggers

With Kona, we figure he's mostly mal (80 lbs, heavy boned, BIG ol' head), but outside of health issues, we just don't care - he's a good boy!

Here's one of the many many links we've found:

https://www.canidae.com/blog/2013/11/alaskan-malamute-siberian-and-alaskan-husky-differences/

Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: My first husky is getting bigger    My first husky is getting bigger  EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 11:50 pm

Does a purebred husky's tail ever hang straight down?

My dog's tail often hangs straight down between his hind legs...when he's tired or hot, and when he's relaxed in the house. ( His usual tail position during interesting walks is like a giant fluffy white banana carried up over his hindquarters! )

Anyway i thought his hanging-down tail was because he's a mix, hm.

And your pup looks like she is doing great!
A little on slim side, the way growing teenagers tend to be!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: My first husky is getting bigger    My first husky is getting bigger  EmptyWed Jul 17, 2019 1:12 am

Yes a purebred husky tail can hang straight down.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: My first husky is getting bigger    My first husky is getting bigger  EmptyWed Jul 17, 2019 1:53 am

How they hold their tails is a good indication of their "mental status"
when they're relaxed and comfortable, their tails hang down but it's casual, maybe flip a bit from side to side.
when they're nervous, their tails generally are pulled down and tense (tucked under - real nervous)
as their excitement level goes up, so do their tails

This is not authoritative, simply from my observation of my three ...

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Kona_18
Puppy
Puppy
Kona_18

Male Join date : 2019-01-04

PostSubject: Re: My first husky is getting bigger    My first husky is getting bigger  EmptyWed Jul 17, 2019 5:03 pm

aljones wrote:
How they hold their tails is a good indication of their "mental status"
when they're relaxed and comfortable, their tails hang down but it's casual, maybe flip a bit from side to side.
when they're nervous, their tails generally are pulled down and tense (tucked under - real nervous)
as their excitement level goes up, so do their tails

This is not authoritative, simply from my observation of my three ...

So, after reading this, I've been observing Kona's hind-quarters entirely too much recently (he looks concerned...); and came to the same conclusion at our house: The tail is much more of an emotional / physical energy barometer than anything else.

Bored stiff - tail hangs limp

Anywhere in between - tail is carried anywhere, but mostly above the spine unless tired (eg: long walk). Rises with level of interest (other dogs, trees, etc.).

Over the top excited - a loose curl over the back (bushiness can reflect excitement / assertiveness)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first husky is getting bigger    My first husky is getting bigger  Empty

Back to top Go down

My first husky is getting bigger

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1