It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New to Forum

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PalacGrac
Newborn
Newborn

Puppy - New to Forum Empty
PostSubject: New to Forum   Puppy - New to Forum EmptySat Aug 31, 2019 1:47 pm

Hello! I just joined the forum today. I have shared a pic of my beautiful dog. He came into my life about 6 months ago. He was a stray and I took him in. He is the second husky I have ever owned, the first being back when I was in high school. Since I am not an expert, I am not sure if he is a white husky or if he is a mix (not that it matters, I love him nonetheless). Any thoughts or opinions? He is all white with blue eyes. No markings.
I just wanted to join so that I could share stories and have support. Huskies are the best, aren’t they?!?!Puppy - New to Forum 5f06c010
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   Puppy - New to Forum EmptySat Aug 31, 2019 9:04 pm

I would swear i see some German shepherd in there. The look looks gsd. Hes a handsome guy with his blue eyes
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   Puppy - New to Forum EmptySun Sep 01, 2019 12:54 am

Shirt looks a little tight. Maybe he needs a larger size because he's getting a little........................ husky. lol!

^ corny "welcome to the forum" joke. Smile
Back to top Go down
PalacGrac
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   Puppy - New to Forum EmptySun Sep 01, 2019 11:31 am

@Lostmaniac Yes! I have been asked if he’s a Shepsky, but I always reply that I don’t know because I have no background on him. He does howl/talk to communicate like huskies do, but he also is REALLY good at listening to commands (the husky I had when I was a teenager would listen only when HE felt like it lol).

@dvflyer 🤣😂
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   Puppy - New to Forum EmptySun Sep 01, 2019 2:18 pm

His expression reminds me of shadow my gsd.
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   Puppy - New to Forum EmptyTue Sep 03, 2019 12:19 am

Welcome!
Congrats on your new pup!

I've got a white "shepsky" (at least, that's what is on his papers from the rescue.)…
Why I believe they were probably right:
- he has a more long rectangular body, shape is not as square as a typical husky
- he is 76 pounds (out of standard for the husky breed, but within standard for a GSD)
- he is obedient and practically teaches himself commands by observing what I say and do
- he is aloof to strangers and does not want to be touched by them (will growl)

I think it's always hard to tell without a DNA test though!
It never mattered enough to me for me to send in a test, I guess it's enough to describe him as "our dog". Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   Puppy - New to Forum EmptyTue Sep 03, 2019 10:01 am

The whites tend to be harder to tell. They are often thought to have GSD in them even when they don't. I too have a white husky that looks far more like a white GSD than a husky. He's 80+ pounds and has large ears and hip dysplasia. I've had supposed GSD "breeders" think he has GSD in him, but he was tested and came back pure husky. Wisdom Panel has a pretty nice test for not a lot of money if you really want to know for sure. There are uses for finding out since some breeds are prone to certain issues and knowing could help you with his health moving forward.

Personally, I think he's pure. Aside from slightly bigger ears and his longer toes I can't see anything in your current picture that just screams GSD to me.

Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   Puppy - New to Forum EmptyWed Sep 04, 2019 3:52 am

The eyes are a bit more round than preferred and the ears possibly slightly out of proportion- without knowing the age of the dog its really hard to say if that's a phase or genetic. Overall nothing about the dog screams mix breed, not the easiest photo to evaluate but enough to get a general idea. A wisdom panel like Twister suggested may be your best bet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
RAHUSKY
Puppy
Puppy
RAHUSKY

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   Puppy - New to Forum EmptyFri Sep 06, 2019 7:40 pm

What a beautiful pup! Yep, huskerboos are the absolute best!
Back to top Go down
http://rahusky.blogspot.com/
PalacGrac
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   Puppy - New to Forum EmptySun Sep 08, 2019 1:20 pm

@shepsky13 thank you for your input!

@twisterII Thank you for your suggestion on a DNA test that is affordable. I am looking into it! I would love to know my dog’s history.

@huskymom09 I appreciate your input. When I took him to the vet in March, the vet calculated that he was about a year old at the time, which would make him about a year and a half right now. He might have some more growing to do. Either way, I think his ears are the cutest 😊

@RAHUSKY Thank you! I feel so blessed to have found him! I love you
Back to top Go down
Jewelofwill
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Siberian Husky Wolf Hybrid Puppy and Kitten   Puppy - New to Forum EmptyFri Oct 18, 2019 3:53 pm

My Husky puppy and Kitten are 4 months old the husky is now shaking the kitten wildly. Will my husky kill my cat as it gets bigger. They play together all the time but like every 10 minutes or less, we have to intervene because Arctic Jewel the Siberian Husky Wolf Hybrid gets too rough and shakes the kitten.. I'm worried. Is this a real fear of her possibly killing the cat one day?
Back to top Go down
RAHUSKY
Puppy
Puppy
RAHUSKY

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   Puppy - New to Forum EmptyFri Oct 18, 2019 4:27 pm

Jewelofwill wrote:
My Husky puppy and Kitten are 4 months old the husky is now shaking the kitten wildly. Will my husky kill my cat as it gets bigger. They play together all the time but like every 10 minutes or less, we have to intervene because Arctic Jewel the Siberian Husky Wolf Hybrid gets too rough and shakes the kitten.. I'm worried.  Is this a real fear of her possibly killing the cat one day?

My 2cents is to watch them closely, huskies are notorious cat killers but many live with 'their' cat in perfect harmony, a 4 month old husky is going to be very crazy with his feline sibling, hopefully the cat will 'stand up for itself' and they will be friends, good luck.
Also if its actually a hybrid, even a small percent, then you are in for a world of difficulty and possibly federal game and fish headaches too. good luck there too,
Back to top Go down
http://rahusky.blogspot.com/
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   Puppy - New to Forum EmptyFri Oct 18, 2019 10:00 pm

Spider is awsome with cats other dogs most animals bigger then rabbits. Now squirt grew up with cats and when she was 3 killed both my cats. She is NOT good with animals. Wolfdogs are interesting creatures i have had more wolfdogs then husky mixes and wolfdogs arnt difficult but they arnt dogs in the traditional sense of training or expectations.

I would worry about the kitten and keep everything supervised until both animals are older. Im amazed that spider doesnt hurt splinter, even pair bonded there is a 60lb weight difference between the two and splinter will get spider by the throat and do the "death" shake and sometimes spider picks splinter up by whatever toy he has. Time will tell what way the cat dog relationship goes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   Puppy - New to Forum Empty

Back to top Go down

New to Forum

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: Announcements-