It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

WiFi & GPS for Dogs, Information

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

WiFi & GPS for Dogs, Information Empty
PostSubject: WiFi & GPS for Dogs, Information   WiFi & GPS for Dogs, Information EmptySat Oct 26, 2019 1:02 am

Since the question of available GPS / WiFi trackers has come up often and regularly, here's a review of several I've found.

If you know of another let me know and I'll add it.  This information is effective as of 10/31/19

Brand
Support
Price
Rating
Cell (*1)
Contract
Range
Activity
Device
Black & Deckersupport@wagz.com
844-252-3140
$72.90
2.5yes
$6.95
unlimitednoiPhone / Android
FindMyPet (*7)]646-626-6111
$139.00
2.5yes
$5.00
unlimitednoiPhone / Android
Findster Duoemail / chat<?>
$149.99
3.5NoNo.5-3.0YesiPhone / IOS / Android
Garmin TT 15 (*2)Chat / eMail
888-442-7646
$799.99
4.5nono9 milesnoGarmin Alpha 100
Gibisupport@gibitechnologies.com
844-438-4424
$99.99
3.0Yes
$9.99
UnlimitedNoiOS / Android
Link AKCwespeakdog@linkakc.com
866-303-1876
$79.99
3.5yes
$9.95
unlimitedyesiOS / Android
Loc8tor (*5)

PawTrackersupport@thepawtracker.com
$99.95
---yes
$9.99
UnlimitedNoiPhone / Android
PetFon (*3)201-657-5353
Ubisighttech@gmail.com
$169.99
4.5nono.65-3.5Yes?iOS
Petpacesupport@petpace.com
979-785-7223
$159.99
1.0yes
unknown
unlimitedyesiPhone / Android
Pod 3???
$129.00
---Yes
$8.95
UnlimitedYesiOS / Android
SportDog800-275-6797
$304.99USD
3.5no
no
fence (*6)nonone
Trax G+support@traxfamily.com
$149.
1.5yes
$8.00
unlimitedNoiPhone / Android
Tractiveonly for customers
$69.99
3.5yes
$6.99
UnlimitedYesiPhone / Android
WagzSUPPORT@WAGZ.COM
844-252-3140
$249.99
???yes
$9.99
unlimitedyes +iPhone / Android
Whistle 3https://support.whistle.com/
855-999-0471
$129.95
3.5yes
$9.95
unlimitedyesiPhone / Android
ZeerKeerNone
$54.98
4.5(*4)
(*4)
unlimitedno??
Heading Explanations:

• Brand should be obvious and the link to the Company Web Site
  • Support Method email / chat / phone
  • Price for the device not including monthly contract if any (US Dollars)
  • Rating taken from Amazon if they sell the item
  • Cell Requires cell network access
  • Contract Requires an ongoing monthly Contract; price is for a monthly contract
  • Range minimum - maximum under optimal conditions (Unlimited infers cell phone coverage)
  • Activity Also monitors the pets activity
  • Device Supported devices blank if none

Notes:

1. Indicates only that cell Service is required, not necessarily a phone.
  2. Garmin seems to have only devices for hunting dog training.
  3. The English on the web site is so bad, I'm not sure of a lot of things.  It does, however, look interesting.
  4. While it says no cell is required, it also recommends Speedtalk at $5.00 a month for a sim (I'm confused)
  5. Rebranded as Tabcat and targeted towards cats.
  6. In ground fence
  7. FindMyPet phone goes to Trackimo ... I talked to a completely lost 'support' person.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .

Last edited by aljones on Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:11 pm; edited 10 times in total
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: WiFi & GPS for Dogs, Information   WiFi & GPS for Dogs, Information EmptySat Oct 26, 2019 12:18 pm

Nice, Al!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: WiFi & GPS for Dogs, Information   WiFi & GPS for Dogs, Information EmptyMon Oct 28, 2019 9:51 am

This is a great idea, Al.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: WiFi & GPS for Dogs, Information   WiFi & GPS for Dogs, Information EmptyThu Oct 31, 2019 12:40 pm

Okay, I'm done with this unless someone has a tracker that they want to add.

I haven't included the "QR" types where someone has to scan the code and report that to the owner.  Maybe that's a little more effective than a chip, but not worth my effort (Sorry)

I've seen comments that there are 30+ GPS trackers on the market but I kept running into trackers that had been purchased by another company (Trackimo = FindMyPetGPS, for example) and companies that have simply disappeared.

Back to top Go down
cheywhite
Teenager
Teenager
cheywhite

Female Join date : 2019-03-20

PostSubject: Re: WiFi & GPS for Dogs, Information   WiFi & GPS for Dogs, Information EmptyFri Jan 10, 2020 11:51 pm

I just found this collar. I don't think it's necessarily a GPS collar but from what I've just glanced at in the past few minutes it seems like a good idea.

@aljones you're good at the research stuff from what I can tell. What do you think??

http://smartbuckle.com/why-choose-us/index.html
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: WiFi & GPS for Dogs, Information   WiFi & GPS for Dogs, Information EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 2:25 pm

@cheywhite - it looks interesting but they don't say how they manage some things without cell service. For example, if I have one of their collars on my dog and he leaves the "home area" how do they notify me.

On the topic of home area, if they're depending on bluetooth or wifi then the range is going to be extremely limited - both bluetooth (class 1) and wifi have a max range of about 300 feet unextended. I don't know about yours but my dogs can be beyond 300 feet in a flash!! And with this collar there's nothing directly tracking your dog ... once they're outside the home area.

It looks interesting and I'll give the developers credit for thinking outside the normal box - but from my viewpoint it needs some more development.

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: WiFi & GPS for Dogs, Information   WiFi & GPS for Dogs, Information EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 3:16 pm

It would be nice to find one that would work here that doesnt cost 1500 for the tracker and then almost 1000 a month to keep active. Also i dont really need 99% of the features because its livestock features
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WiFi & GPS for Dogs, Information   WiFi & GPS for Dogs, Information Empty

Back to top Go down

WiFi & GPS for Dogs, Information

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1