It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Spider is sick

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

Spider is sick Empty
PostSubject: Spider is sick   Spider is sick EmptySat Feb 08, 2020 9:25 pm

So this am i gave the dogs bison ribs. They shredded a good bit of them befor i took them away at about 730am. Fast forward to 230 spider puked a bunch of rib shreds some of the meat and some of her dog food. Since she has tried to poop and couldnt get into a comfortable position she threw up a bunch of water and keeps doing the "play bow" but like she is trying to convince whatever is in her stomach to a better position to puke and is holding her tail high.

It seems like it was kind of fast for it to hit her intestines but she is also acting constipated. What should i watch for to know when its time to rush to the vet.

My vet doesnt do surgery so thats already going to be an issue with it being the weekend
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

Spider is sick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spider is sick   Spider is sick EmptySat Feb 08, 2020 11:54 pm

Pancreatitis?

Was just reading a different thread (shepherd forum) where their dog was very uncomfortable, vomited, had the Playbow position. It’s serious...if it is that...

Hope Spider is feeling better and it’s not that!!!
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Spider is sick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spider is sick   Spider is sick EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 12:15 am

Im 100% sure it has to do with the rib she shredded. It was raw and when i noticed her breaking it into chunks i took it away. I think she swallowed a chunk before i took it.
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Spider is sick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spider is sick   Spider is sick EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 12:27 am

Vomiting, hunched position, attempts to defecate and “prayer” position are also signs of GDV (bloat)...

Pancreatitis also can be caused by eating unusually rich food...

Both are serious but I hope it really is not either of those!

Please get to vet as soon as you can if Spider keeps acting like this.
Hopefully it’s just a bit of indigestion or gas, finger crossed.
Keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Spider is sick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spider is sick   Spider is sick EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 4:07 am

So we ended up at the vet. There was no impaction or bloat but she was severely constipated and she has some intestinalinflammation. He stomach was empty and no chunks of bone. They gave her meds for the nausea and inflammation and subcutaneous liquid and something that would work as a laxative if i can get her to eat it
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

Spider is sick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spider is sick   Spider is sick EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 4:41 am

Hope she feels better soon!x
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Spider is sick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spider is sick   Spider is sick EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 12:23 pm

That's a relief that it wasn't one of the scary conditions.

Poor Spider, I hope she feels better soon!

Dogs are harder than kids...with kids, you can say "drink more water, it will help" or "eat this and you'll feel better" and they understand, but dogs don't get it. Maybe you can try bribing her with the laxative, like hide it inside a piece of cheese or smear it with peanut butter. :-)
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Spider is sick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spider is sick   Spider is sick EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 2:52 pm

The laxative was technically hairball gel and it was getting her to eat 2 tubes of it. Basically its a mix of vaseline mineral oil soy oil omega oils and maple syrup. Normally id flip about the soy giving her diarrhea. She did finally poop and it was so hard i could use it for slingshot ammo. I also noticed a little blood. If she isnt 100% better 48h from 10pm last night i need to bring her back. And since its an hour away if she isnt better by noon tomorrow im gonna bring her back in.
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Spider is sick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spider is sick   Spider is sick EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 10:31 pm

Yuck! No that sounds so gross to eat! I thought it was a pill or something.

Well at least she did poop!

Do you think she would drink extra if it was diluted chicken broth?
Maybe drinking more will help calm and flush out her system.

Anyway hang in there. Hope you don’t have to make that hourlong drive again.

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Spider is sick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spider is sick   Spider is sick EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 11:14 pm

Everything is almost an hour. I brought her to the livestock hospital because thats who was on call and thats only 30 miles which i can generally do in about 40 mins. But not in the dark on icy roads knowing how many vehicles have been totaled by elk. Also cows and horses get on the road and hitting one of those would be bad.

In the last hour she ran around with splinter, ate, has been jumping on me and harrassed shadow. Still not quite 100% and still in the 48h window. I have to go to alamosa tomorrow for other things and if shes not better then ill bring her while im already there as a walk in. Also it would save driving out at night and having the $160 emergency fee.
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Spider is sick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spider is sick   Spider is sick EmptyMon Feb 10, 2020 11:18 am

Running around, jumping on you and eating sounds like good news!!

I think the vets really start to worry when the dog refuses to eat and especially, Drink.

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Spider is sick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spider is sick   Spider is sick EmptyMon Feb 10, 2020 11:55 am

You know with the way spider eats things sometimes i would swear there was lab in her dna.

Also the boys are back to normal. It seemed like they were depressed, particularly splinter, when spider was feeling sick

Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Spider is sick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spider is sick   Spider is sick EmptyWed Feb 12, 2020 5:49 pm

Glad that Spider is feeling better!

Yes dogs can tell...
when I was sick, Rumo kind of moped around and didn't seem happy either...Could be just that he was just missing his daily long walk though!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spider is sick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spider is sick   Spider is sick Empty

Back to top Go down

Spider is sick

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1