It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

training our new family member

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sky&Eric
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2019-11-27

training our new family member Empty
PostSubject: training our new family member   training our new family member EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 1:53 pm

Well with the one husky, and trying to keep him occupied and busy, I decided to get a kick bike and work on training him to pull, which was going fairly well. I found I had to do far to much work and those kick bike are a ways off the ground so ones Knee takes a beating. So I started looking to adopt another Siberian. I ended up adopting a rescue out of California! So of course dog not having met yet made me a little nervus, plus we have a cat, and No one new how she was going to be with that cat. Soon after she got here I had my work cut out for me, she was aggressive to Sky, (unexpected) but had zero interest in the cat (also unexpected) for the next week I had my work cut out for me. We were able to have the dogs in the same room but had to keep Sky at a distance, (thankfully he dose listen to me well) my wife not so much) over the course of the week Sky was able to get closer and have a nose to nose meeting at first. then over the next day or 2 she Finally allowed him to sniff around back. The 2 are now inseparable and would think they have been together for months not just a couple weeks! I have been able to start reintroducing toys and bones to them and so far no snarling matches have broke out. The cat has gone out of his way to get face to face and then attacked pore Aspin, amazingly she showed no aggression back to the cat. The cat did learn that was not approved behavior from his people. He didn't talk to me or my wife for the next 2 days.  Aspen we also figured out has had no leash training, or and training period!! I got my work cut out for me!!!
Training sure has changed since i took a class with my previous dog 17 years ago, back the the prong color was the latest and greatest since the old choke chain!! Now we have no pull Harnesses? If one intended to teach a dog to pull with a harness, it be confusing for the dog when its okay to pull and when it is not? Sky was leash broke when i got him so he pulls fine as long as no leash is on his neck! What is the best product for use to training a siberian the basics? I have to figure some thing out becouse with just s color on she pull like she was in a x-back harness.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

PostSubject: Re: training our new family member   training our new family member EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 3:57 pm

I’ve had my 3 husky’s since pups, but my neighbour had a Caucasian Shepard 7 months old and is twice the size of my husky and pulls a lot. And I done some training with her and I find that using a clicker and teaching basic commands sit paw down and then Teaching heel round the garden By pointing at my heel and repeating “heel” and walking 2 foot and praising her and the gradually making the distance further and that helped with Beau.
Another trick I find is getting along pole/stick and when walking her/him using it as a extension of your arm to stop her walking in front of you.
Hope this helps:)
Back to top Go down
Sky&Eric
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: training our new family member   training our new family member EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 4:15 pm

She dose well with the No-pull harness what i am worried about is if it will make her not pull when i put her in a x-back harness
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

PostSubject: Re: training our new family member   training our new family member EmptyMon Feb 10, 2020 5:45 am

My husky, knows not to pull with she’s walking with her collar and to pull when I put her harness on. They are a very clever breed, you just need to put the time in to teaching them. I’ve never tried with to different harnesses but good luck!
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: training our new family member   training our new family member EmptyMon Feb 10, 2020 11:26 am

Hopefully she could tell the difference because your other dog will be running/pulling, and bike is hitched to back? Very different from a walk, I'd think! And different harness too! They are smart.

My dog was taught to walk looseleash just with a martingale collar...reward when he's by my leg with little tidbits of cheese, and when he pulls, i just stopped walking and stood still until he let the leash go slack. (He's been easy to train though, I found that he is easy to train as long as what you want is clear to him.)

The biking sounds like it will be fun!!
Back to top Go down
cheywhite
Teenager
Teenager
cheywhite

Female Join date : 2019-03-20

PostSubject: Re: training our new family member   training our new family member EmptyMon Feb 10, 2020 11:27 am

From what I've read on other threads and from my own research is that you can train them to different harnesses. I think it's normally better to train them not to pull on one harness first. Once you get that down, you can introduce a second, different style harness, like the x-back.
Back to top Go down
Sky&Eric
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: training our new family member   training our new family member EmptyMon Feb 10, 2020 1:25 pm

one of the only reason i ask about this is with sky, I leash trained him on a prong color, as long as that thing is around his neck he wont pull nothing, take it of and watch him pull, till he stops to smell or mark. dam we gotta get passed that some day.
Back to top Go down
Sky&Eric
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: training our new family member   training our new family member EmptyMon Feb 10, 2020 1:36 pm

is walking the to dogs together a bad idea, till Aspen learns her basics, or is walking them together ok, as long as each dog gets its personal 1 on 1 training every day
training our new family member Aspem211

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: training our new family member   training our new family member EmptyMon Feb 10, 2020 1:52 pm

Walking them together some is fine as long as you can handle walking them both together. It's good bonding for both dogs. It can also be interesting to see how behavior may change when together.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: training our new family member   training our new family member EmptyMon Feb 10, 2020 1:56 pm

they have only known each other just over 1 week, but already don't like being separated.The first 3 days was a lot of growling snarling and snapping, seems to have all work out though
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: training our new family member   training our new family member Empty

Back to top Go down

training our new family member

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1