It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Blowing Coat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Becky
Puppy
Puppy
Becky

Female Join date : 2011-05-09

Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Blowing Coat   Blowing Coat EmptyMon May 09, 2011 3:29 am

Miko is 15 months and has not even began blowing coat. I was told by the vet that I should expect her to do this after her one year mark when the warm weather comes. Granted here is upstate NY its not exactly warm yet. And I do brush her weekly. I also take her to petsmart to have her groomed. Should I be concerned that she hasn't begun a coat change?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blowing Coat   Blowing Coat EmptyMon May 09, 2011 10:13 am

If it's still pretty cold where you're at, and you brush and groom her, you may not see a coat change just yet. I think depending on your climate, it'll vary. I think Val mentioned somewhere in another topic that her boy used to blow coat 8 months out of the year because at the time, she lived in Florida. We just adopted my boy and he came from Kansas in April, we adopted him on April 17th and we thought he wasn't going to be blowing coat. Well, we're not seeing that he's got a lot to brush out!

So I think blowing coat time with vary by individual and by your climate.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me. Smile

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blowing Coat   Blowing Coat EmptyMon May 09, 2011 10:15 am

Blowing more varies by individual dog. Koda would blow coat the same in Postdam, NY as he does down here and it's definitely colder longer up there. Huskies generally blow with the seasons, but it's just as common for some to blow in the middle of summer or in the dead of winter (when Koda likes to blow Smile ).

However, like Claudia said, if you keep her regularly groomed, you probably won't be seeing the typical blow that huskies get as she'll be shedding it more steadily at the groomers Smile

Blowing Coat Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blowing Coat   Blowing Coat EmptyMon May 09, 2011 10:46 am

It definitely depends on several factors including the individual dog, climate, and season. Some start their first coat blow earlier than others, some get their first before turning a year old and others start later. I am surprised that Miko has not blown coat by the 15 month mark but that just means you should be counting your blessings! I wouldn't be concerned at all and I would bet it won't be too long before she starts...then you'll be wishing she hadn't! lol

Regular brushing at home and at the groomer does help CONSIDERABLY in keeping it under control and making the official coat blowing a little less painful. But believe me, when she finally starts blowing it will still be a LOT. Razz

Also keep in mind that when she starts blowing coat, the length of time that individual dogs will blow will vary as well. Some sibes blow coat for only 2 weeks while others blow coat for a good 2 months, and many tend to blow on average somewhere in between that range. My sibe blows coat for a full 2 months, aren't I lucky? There are even differences in how individual sibes do their bi-annual shedding. Some blow coat while others moult. Moulting tends to be more patchy and leaves the coat looking much more uneven as giant "patches" of fur come out. Blowing tends to be much more even as the dog loses fur fairly evenly throughout the coat. I think blowing coats are much more common than moulting but be prepared for either and don't freak out if you have a moulter on your hands, it's normal. Wink

Just to offer examples of how different climates can affect an individual dogs blowing pattern, take my boy who has lived in Mukilteo, WA; Orlando, FL; and Charleston, SC...

Mukilteo, WA - he blew coat twice a year (February & October) for 2 months each blow and had slightly increased shedding in July.

Orlando, FL - he blew coat 4 times a year (January, April, July, October) for 2 months each blow and had a decent amount of shedding all year round even when not blowing coat.

Charleston, SC - he blows coat twice a year (January & October) and has slightly increased shedding in the warmest summer months.

One thing that climate does not affect is how long he blows coat, that stays at 2 months regardless of how many times a year he blows coat.

Since you're so far north I am sure you'll just have the normal bi-annual shedding once Miko kicks it into gear. Smile

If you haven't looked at it already, here's an older thread on shedding: Shedding?.........

Puppy
Puppy
Becky

Female Join date : 2011-05-09

Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blowing Coat   Blowing Coat EmptyMon May 09, 2011 2:56 pm

Thanks everyone. Guess I just have to be patient. My vet thinks I am a paranoid parent because I call regularly with questions. Glad to finally have feedback from experienced owners.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blowing Coat   Blowing Coat EmptySun May 15, 2011 6:29 pm

I thought the little tufts of fur was coming from Ginger...but today, I found out it's from Storm! And I thought we escaped his shedding cycle, but from this video, he's just started...Jenn busted her shedding blade out...and it snowed fur...

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blowing Coat   Blowing Coat EmptySun May 15, 2011 10:23 pm

Wow, Storm's blowing coat and you have Jenn doing the de-shedding! Laughing How did you manage that one?! Razz lol

cmanding

Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blowing Coat   Blowing Coat EmptySun May 15, 2011 10:41 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Wow, Storm's blowing coat and you have Jenn doing the de-shedding! Laughing How did you manage that one?! Razz lol

We were at her place for a play date for Storm's birthday, and she busted her shedding blade out and started to follow him around and I busted out my camera!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blowing Coat   Blowing Coat EmptySun May 15, 2011 11:28 pm

Wow what a video of my ass! I have hair all over the back yard! It was just coming out in rows

cmanding

Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blowing Coat   Blowing Coat EmptySun May 15, 2011 11:32 pm

jbealer wrote:
Wow what a video of my ass! I have hair all over the back yard! It was just coming out in rows

Your ass is looking good! (yes, I was checking out your skinny-mini ass!)

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blowing Coat   Blowing Coat EmptyMon May 16, 2011 10:43 am

cmanding wrote:
jbealer wrote:

Your ass is looking good! (yes, I was checking out your skinny-mini ass!)

lol! That's awesome!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Blowing Coat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blowing Coat   Blowing Coat EmptyMon May 16, 2011 9:13 pm

jbealer wrote:
Wow what a video of my ass!

Your safe no plumbers butt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content