It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one,

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MONKEYMANN
Newborn
Newborn
MONKEYMANN

Male Join date : 2011-05-09

An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, Empty
PostSubject: An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one,   An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, EmptyMon May 09, 2011 5:35 pm

An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, and if anyone’s been through it, then they understand where I was coming from.
It was the response from those who didn’t, or hadn’t ever felt it which made me decide to post it. I received many kudos for something “well written”, “well said” and what a great writer I am……
No people…..
I just wrote this from my heart. JB
Crying or Very sad

It's never an easy decision to make, or an easy thing to do, but animals rely on us their whole lives to make decisions for them, looking out for their best interest, and that is what we need to do.
It is the single most important decision we will ever make for them.
Although, it wasn’t easy making that decision for Chaya, I have to remember she was also 3 hours away from being put to sleep 7 YEARS AGO when I rescued her, so I know I added 7 QUALITY YEARS TO HER LIFE, which is what makes me smile during this time of grieving.
RIP Chaya, as I love you and will never forget you, as you where one special dog, who always showed me the appreciation for your extended stay on earth. I remember bringing her home, and she bounced around the room with eyes flashing and ears flopping, just happy to be alive. (Hence her name, Chaya means "to be alive" in Hebrew)
When I would get home from work or anywhere, she would be waiting for me with her tail wagging and give me some of her RRRRooooooo's, just to say, "Welcome home. I missed you." She never asked for anything more than for me to pat her head so she could go to sleep with her head over my leg. As she got older, she moved around more slowly. Then, one day last week, old age finally took its toll, and she couldn't get up or stand on her wobbly legs anymore. I knelt down and patted her, crying and trying to make her young again. She just looked up at me as if to say she was old and tired and that after all these years of not asking for anything…..She had to ask me for one last favor.
Let her go with her dignity...
With tears in my eyes, I drove her one last time to the vet in my truck. I stopped under a tree in the shade near the river, and got into the back with her, and held her. We spooned for a good 10 minutes.
One last time, she was lying next to me. We had to load her out of the truck onto a stretcher, but when nearing the door, she wanted off, so we put her down. For some strange reason, she was able to stand up. My jar dropped…
She walked over to a bush, did her thing and then she walked herself into the office. Perhaps it was her sense of pride, not sure, but it was a great thing for me to see her like that at the time.
As we were laying on the floor in the exam room, waiting for the vet, and reminiscing about our times together, she was telling me to stop crying and to "man up" and quit being a baby, things were going to be okay. That made me smile...
Well okay then Chaya Renee', let’s go for a walk pretty girl.
When it was time, and we got to the bridge, and we could both see the rainbow on the other side, she lifted her head and looked at me as if to say, "Thank you for taking care of me Bushey, you rock!"
I just looked right back at her and thought…
"No Chaya... thank you for taking care of me”...

No matter how much I miss her, and struggle with her being gone right now, I am comforted by the fact that she has rejoined her mentor and best buddy Mogul for eternity.
JB
An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, 14199110

An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, All_mi10
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, Empty
PostSubject: Re: An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one,   An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, EmptyMon May 09, 2011 5:39 pm

Beautiful story. So sorry for your loss, but thank you for rescuing her and giving her the life that you gave her. It's clear that she was well-loved and cared for.

Welcome to our group. Hope to hear many happy stories in between the sad.

An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, Hailey10
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one,   An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, EmptyMon May 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Wow! I'm boo-hooing! We had to do the same thing just over 3 years ago. I must admit I was a wimp and made my husband take her to the vet. Sad

Beautiful story and a beautiful girl!!
Back to top Go down
MONKEYMANN
Newborn
Newborn
MONKEYMANN

Male Join date : 2011-05-09

PostSubject: Re: An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one,   An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, EmptyMon May 09, 2011 7:39 pm

OOPS
To Sakamom, I just accidently clicked a minus thing on your post and I think its some sort of voting of your post itself, and I wasnt meaning to do that at all.
Is there a way to remove that ??
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one,   An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, EmptyMon May 09, 2011 8:03 pm

I have no idea what that did. It doesn't seem to matter...my "message reputation"
is at 0% with 1 vote... confused

I'm sure a moderator knows what this means!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one,   An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, EmptyMon May 09, 2011 8:25 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. This just made me cry my eyes out. You were great to her! You have a wonderful heart =)
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one,   An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, EmptyMon May 09, 2011 9:05 pm

That was beautiful and brought tears to my eyes.

MONKEYMANN wrote:
OOPS
To Sakamom, I just accidently clicked a minus thing on your post and I think its some sort of voting of your post itself, and I wasnt meaning to do that at all.

Not sure if Admin can fix it but it the + and - are a kind of voting system that gives or removes treats from a member. I went ahead and clicked the + and gave a treat back to Lisa. Smile

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one,   An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, EmptyMon May 09, 2011 9:08 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
MONKEYMANN wrote:
OOPS

Not sure if Admin can fix it but it the + and - are a kind of voting system that gives or removes treats from a member. I went ahead and clicked the + and gave a treat back to Lisa. Smile
That's one thing that we cannot tamper with... but Val gave a treat back, so no harm done Smile

An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, Hailey10
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one,   An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, EmptyMon May 09, 2011 9:12 pm

This made me cry as well! Dakota is turning 11 this year and for the first time in his 10 years with me he is starting to show is age, especially in the last 5 months. It's so good to see others feel about their dogs the way I do. I hate it when people say "it's just a dog". I'm sorry for your loss but so glad you have wonderful memories of Chaya.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one,   An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, EmptyMon May 09, 2011 10:04 pm

26nikita wrote:
when people say "it's just a dog".

I learned a long time ago there is no teaching people like that what the hurt is like. So in my bitterest comeback if I don't give a flying hoot about the person I reply, " and your just an asshole." Shuts them up every time. Good friends grieve with/for you. Though I'm preaching to the choir those that don't have the sympathy should just zip it as it prevents hurt feelings on both sides.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one,   An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, EmptyMon May 09, 2011 10:25 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
26nikita wrote:
when people say "it's just a dog".

I learned a long time ago there is no teaching people like that what the hurt is like. So in my bitterest comeback if I don't give a flying hoot about the person I reply, " and your just an asshole." Shuts them up every time. Good friends grieve with/for you. Though I'm preaching to the choir those that don't have the sympathy should just zip it as it prevents hurt feelings on both sides.

The people that have EVER said anything negative about my dogs or that STUPID comment..."it's just a dog" have been X'd out of my life! If you love me...you love my dogs...if you're my friend...you'll understand that my dogs are my family...my babies. If you're not a dog person, I understand, BUT respect mine and my feelings toward them. If you can't do that then I don't need your negative vibes around me. Period!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one,   An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, EmptyMon May 09, 2011 10:32 pm

I knew it was hard to lose a pet and always felt for friends that lost their pet, but I never truly understood until I lost one...

Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one,   An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, EmptyMon May 09, 2011 10:33 pm

CRYING!!!!
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one,   An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, EmptyTue May 31, 2011 7:54 pm

I think your decision to let Chaya die with dignity was the bravest, most awesome thing you could ever do! In my opinion, when an owner holds on too long, it is selfish, at least if the dog is suffering.
I once had a behaviorist tell me, when I was calling to talk about one of our old-timers, to look into the dog's eyes and simply ask what the dog wants you to do....their heart would answer yours.
I am sorry for your loss and applaud the love you so obviously had for Chaya. You gave her a great 7 years, as she gave you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one,   An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one, Empty

Back to top Go down

An insight to a very tough decision I had to make last summer for a loved one,

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1