It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 31, 2011 11:09 pm

We used to leave cartoons on for them, but now it's turned into ESPN..LOL!
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 1:08 am

Glad I'm not the only one that leaves the tv on for my dogs! Razz
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 12:06 pm

We used to leave the radio on when we were crate training our boy with SA. I couldn't tell you if it made a difference since we never tried without the radio on but after our boy had gotten over his SA we slowly phased out the radio background noise.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 12:30 pm

Trying to crate train Storm with hubby around is no bueno!

Last night, we put them in their crate, and gave him a bone. He settled at first, but then started circling in his crate, and when I got downstairs, I see hubby next to Storm's crate, with the door open, petting him, telling him, 'It's OK Storm.' anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 85993

I tell hubby that he's telling Storm that all he has to do is circle around in his crate and you'll open the door and he gets affection. I also tell hubby that instead of training him to settle, he's doing the exact opposite! anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 85993

I finally get hubby to leave him alone, move away from his crate and just sit on the sofa and ignore him.

TRAIN THE TRAINER FIRST! Oi!

After hubby moves away, Storm fidgets a little, and finally settles down and gnaws at his bone.

30 minutes has passed at this point....and I tell hubby NOW he can pet him and give him praise when he's settled.

So, yep - I am now crate training Storm AND hubby!
Shocked

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Claudia, if I were you, I'd check out I'll Be Home Soon by Dr. Patricia McConnell and maybe you and JD read it together. It deals with SA - lots of good insights and training techniques.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks for the reference, Kate!
Storm is doing better after eliminating his bed and the sheet over his crate. I just need to JD to stop undoing the progress I'm making! Obviously, his college days of being around Huskies, Akitas and Wolf Hybrids didn't teach him much for training! Rolling Eyes

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 8:08 pm

Ok - today, I did a little of crate training while hubby was out....much easier.

I put them in their crate, left the TV on, and left to get the mail. I tried to peek in but I can't see them from any of the windows except the back door, but they can see me looking in.

In any case, when I walked back in the door from getting the mail, they were both laying down, quietly. I ignored them, and did stuff around the room, and went out the back door. I peered in, but I know they could see me, and it took but a minute until Storm went and laid back down in his crate.

I finally came back inside after about 5 minutes, and still ignored them, and Storm stayed laying down, with a couple of soft wooo-wooo.

After 20 minutes, he got up and paced in a circle a couple of times in his crate and laid back down, but let out a couple of soft whines, stood up and then sat back down....I finally let them out after 30 minutes of being in their crate, praised them and gave them affection and a treat. (He was still laying down, calm).

So he did pretty well with nothing in his crate with the TV on, but while I was in the house igoring him.

My next experiment tomorrow will be to point the web cam toward them, leave the house, and take the other laptop and go work outside watching them on the web cam....

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 6:50 pm

I think we're making progress!

I put G&S in their crate, gave them a treat and went about doing stuff around and outside the house. I ignored them the whole time, disappeared in the basement for 15 minutes, went to get mail, and hid in the half bathroom where I could peek through the crack in the door and spied on them for 10 more minutes.

He was calm and remained laying down quietly for 1 hour!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 7:49 pm

good stealth moves!

it could also be that storm is warming up to you all and is feeling more at home, or the training is working...
either way WOOHOOO

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 12:19 am

We left for dinner and came back 70 minutes later and they were a little excited, but he quickly settled and sat down in his crate. Ginger on the other had was still anxious to get out - maybe she was feeding off his nervous energy while we were gone - dunno....but we walked in the house, ignored them, went to the kitchen to get some treats, and made them sit before opening the door. Storm settled first, so he got his treat first, and he sat in his crate while we waited for Ginger.

After Ginger got her treat, she jumped out of her crate, but Storm was still in his crate sitting...

When we're at home watching TV or whatever else, he has no problems going in his crate to sleep. If the crate door is mostly closed, he'll even nudge it open and go in his crate to sleep...so I know he's comfortable in his crate when we're home.

We're making progress...
I hope to have completely comfy in his crate, when were gone for a few hours by the end of the summer.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 12:01 pm

Yay! Sounds like he's making very good progress!

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 12:06 pm

cmanding wrote:
and hid in the half bathroom where I could peek through the crack in the door and spied on them for 10 more minutes.

This is how you know you have lost your sanity to a siberian husky. Sounds so much like when I was going through it with Koda.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 12:07 pm

LOL. Yay progress!

anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 12:13 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
cmanding wrote:
and hid in the half bathroom where I could peek through the crack in the door and spied on them for 10 more minutes.

This is how you know you have lost your sanity to a siberian husky. Sounds so much like when I was going through it with Koda.

Ah yes! I had my phone, checking work emails as I sat, hiding in the bathroom, peeking out....

I think I want to ask my neighbor to borrow her baby monitor with video, so we can spy on them while we garden outside!

Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 12:40 pm

Yay! sounds like your making good progress. I like the baby/video monitor idea.
Once he is good while you are out of sight, I would suggest getting in your car and driving down the street too. That was going to be my next step with Frankie before we moved. He would spend all day in his crate if I was home and in and out of the house, but once he heard the car pull off all he** broke loose, lol.
Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 1:41 pm

Wow. This whole thread just makes me that much more grateful for my happily crate trained baby. He can do all night, or all day in there, no problems whatsoever. He loves his crate.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 1:50 pm

Yes, you're lucky Nikolai loves his crate!
Ginger would be perfectly fine in her crate too, but she LUUUVS to be with us and we'd LUUUUUV to take both of them with us wherever we go....but that's not always the case Sad

Storm does like his crate, and is getting used to his crate if/when we leave - so he's doing pretty good, I think.

I also took your advise, Kate, and bought the book you suggested. Haven't read it yet...but will for reference. Thanks for the suggestion!

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 1:56 pm

Ahh, good! I like Dr. McConnell's books - she's very readable and it just makes good sense. :-) Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 4:39 pm

I found a 'baby monitor' that I can view from my iPhone anywhere!
Now I can watch G&S and see what they do in their crate while we're away!

I think this tops me sitting in the bathroom spying on them...
Good thing this 'baby monitor' was inexpensive compared to the average and cheaper ones out there that only had a range between 150-300 feet.

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 4:52 pm

Oooh, what a fun toy... I mean TOOL! Cool!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 4:54 pm

CoffeeK8 wrote:
Oooh, what a fun toy... I mean TOOL! Cool!

Yeah!, It's a 'TOOL' to help me with training!
lol!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 7:20 pm

I turned on my 'furbaby' internet monitor, put the kids in their crate, and headed out to get a manicure and pedicure., and checked the furkiddies from time to time.

Ginger stays laying down and calm, and Storm is doing OK - he'll get up turn around, then sit down, then lay down, then get up and turn around again, but he's not pawing or chewing or banging on the sides of his crate. I couldn't get the audio to come one, but when I drove into the garage 1 1/2 hours later, I waited aoutside the door until he laid back down before coming in. He stood up when I walked in the door and started whining. So I ignored him, grabbed a couple of treats, and then paid attention to him when he stopped whining. I then made him sit before opening the door to let him out.

So...so far, he's doing OK in his crate...and we're slowly building up the time...we're making progress.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 11:01 pm

It sounds like he's doing very well and kudos to you for how dedicated you are to this!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 3:41 pm

I can't seem to figure out when Storm will be OK in his crate for 2 hours or half hour. And when he gets anxious, Ginger starts to get anxious. Sad And I don't want her to revert backward.

I know his previous owner put him in a kennel WAY too small for him with a bag of food. From what I was told, it was so small, he hardly had enough room for himself, and then they put a bag of food in there too. I don't believe he was paid any attention after a while either. So I don't know if this has anything to do with how he behaves in his crate when we're not home.

But when we are home, and his crate door is open, he has no problem going in there on occasion to take a nap. He'll go in when I ask, and he'll stay until I say it's OK for him to come out. But this all the while we're home and his crate door is open.

Before we adopted Storm, we started to leave Ginger un-crated when we left the house and she did absolutely great.

I'm thinking maybe I should just leave Ginger and Storm un-crated when we leave...after all, all they really do for most of the day is lay around and nap!

Any advice, suggestions, recommendations - should I try leaving them alone un-crated when we leave the house? (Of course, I would start at about 20-30 mintues at first).

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 3:46 pm

Do you trust them alone together as far as them fighting? Have they ever gotten into a spat? No, huh? They seem to get along really well! If that's not a concern then I would totally try leaving them un-crated for 30min at a time to see what they do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?   anxiety - Is this a sign of seperation anxiety? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Is this a sign of seperation anxiety?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next