It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Making salad greens last a few days?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

Making salad greens last a few days? Empty
PostSubject: Making salad greens last a few days?   Making salad greens last a few days? EmptyFri May 27, 2011 5:32 pm

With the warmer weather, I'm trying to get into good habits with having salads for lunch. I have a nifty container dealy-o to bring them to work, but I'm wondering if you folks have any good ideas for keeping salad a bit fresher for longer, because I typically buy a bagged/boxed salad and it's got nasty spots and slime by day 3 or 4. I'm considering just buying my own heads of lettuce & greens, chopping them, spinning 'em, drying them with a towel, then vacuum sealing them into glass jars (a la Salad in a Jar)... but before I do all that work, I am wondering if there are any tricks or tips you guys use to keep your salad greens stay tasty and yummy during the week.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Making salad greens last a few days?   Making salad greens last a few days? EmptyFri May 27, 2011 5:41 pm

well im a bit OCD when it comes to packaged veggies and fruit and feel the need to clean them again before eating even if it states its clean. i buy the big bag of lettuce at Costco dump it in my salad spinner rinse with water spin dry and then package into glad 2 cup containers, i get about 4 containers from one bag and if i eat it every day it takes 4 days, sometimes i get lucky and its still good other days i have to pick it over and get some of the bad stuff out. im not sure there is much you can do to keep it fresher other then really looking at the bag B4 you buy it to make sure it looks really fresh. and eat it with in 4 days. i have found with my new "clean" diet i am going to the store over the weekend and sometimes Wed. cause the fruit/ veggies just are not holding up or im learning to only buy what i will eat in 3-4 days and going back for more when im out.
glad to hear you are trying to be better with your lunches!

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Making salad greens last a few days?   Making salad greens last a few days? EmptyFri May 27, 2011 5:50 pm

sometimes it helps if you put salad greens in a ziploc baggie, punch a couple holes on both sides of the bag with a knife, and put with a paper towel in the ziploc with the salad greens to soak up the excess moisture build up.

if you buy the big containers of salad greens at costco, the plastic ones, when you get home, punch/stab a couple of holes in the plastic containers with a knife - it'll give some air to breathe, preventing extra moisture build up.

the above tips sometimes will give me about 5, almost 6 days for salad greeds.

romain hearts will last longer in the fridge, and so will the hierloom lettuce - both from Costco.

hope this helps!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Making salad greens last a few days?   Making salad greens last a few days? EmptyFri May 27, 2011 5:59 pm

oh i forgot to add the towel at that bottom, i do that to! no hole punching though....

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Making salad greens last a few days?   Making salad greens last a few days? EmptyFri May 27, 2011 5:59 pm

They make Salad Keeper things like http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-LKS-06-Lettuce-Keeper/dp/B000OUY2QO, but I'm wondering if it's worth the effort since going to the store mid-week is such a pain in the butt for us (DH bikes, my schedule is tight between getting off work and letting Nikolai out, etc.). It's not impossible, but it's not easy, either.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Making salad greens last a few days?   Making salad greens last a few days? EmptyFri May 27, 2011 6:02 pm

thats kind of cool looking.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Making salad greens last a few days?   Making salad greens last a few days? EmptyFri May 27, 2011 11:21 pm

basically the same concept as putting a paper towel and poking holes in a ziploc bag, then putting it in a vegetable drawer. I've found they work OK - maybe it'll keep it a couple of days longer, but then again, i wouldn't want to be eating certain salad greens if they're over a week old anyway. For other veggies - food saver...and I know you have one of those!

PostSubject: Re: Making salad greens last a few days?   Making salad greens last a few days? Empty

Back to top Go down

Making salad greens last a few days?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1