It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Triton won't eat his organs!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tritonsmom
Newborn
Newborn
tritonsmom

Female Join date : 2011-05-23

Triton won't eat his organs! Empty
PostSubject: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 9:47 pm

I started Triton on the Raw diet about 20 days ago on just chicken. It took awhile for his BM to start forming well but it's steady now. I tried introducing him to chicken livers today and he only sniffed and walked away. I tried many times today to get him to eat at least one but he's very uninterested. Any ideas on how I could get him to eat the livers?

And quick question for the BM's... should they be smaller and less often then when he was on a kibble diet?

Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 10:33 pm

tritonsmom wrote:
I started Triton on the Raw diet about 20 days ago on just chicken. It took awhile for his BM to start forming well but it's steady now. I tried introducing him to chicken livers today and he only sniffed and walked away. I tried many times today to get him to eat at least one but he's very uninterested. Any ideas on how I could get him to eat the livers?

Try sprinkling some parmesan cheese on it? Or maybe searing it really fast on one side for 5 seconds or so and feed it with the seared side up so he smells that?

tritonsmom wrote:
And quick question for the BM's... should they be smaller and less often then when he was on a kibble diet?

Yes! Smaller BMs on raw diets are to be expected! I believe Val's boy sometimes has smaller BMs than her 6 lb Chihuahua!! Ginger sometimes has a couple of peanut size turds!! And my 100 lb boy? I now can pick it up with one hand!! lol!

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 10:41 pm

Totally normal for not-so-often bowls which are smaller (and... they actually disintegrate and crumble into nothing! lol)

You can try mixing in the organs with something yummy like PB or searing them if you've got the gag reflexes for that (smells horrendous.) All of my dogs except for Cheyenne would eat the organs (sometimes switching the kind can help... ie. beef instead of chicken?) but with Cheyenne I just had to pop open her mouth and drop it in. I tried everything!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
tritonsmom
Newborn
Newborn
tritonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 11:12 pm

Ah, great ideas! I'll give those ideas a try! Thanks!!

BTW, I love the new difference in his coat!! Yay for raw diet!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 12:03 am

Fish, fish oil supplements or coconut oil will help their coat too. Everyone comments on how soft Ginger is - she's my fish girl. Her base is Honest Kitchen Zeal which is fish based protein, and her kibble that I use as a topper is Orijen 6-fish forumula. Her dinner is a raw chicken leg.

Newborn
Newborn
tritonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 9:31 pm

I'm still having a tough time introducing organs to Triton Sad

How important is it to incorporate organs into his raw diet? I know it should be 10% but boy is it hard to push that 10% on him!

Any other ideas? scratch
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 10:08 pm

Organs are a small but crucial part of a prey model raw diet. Somehow you'll have to get him to eat them if you want to stick with PMR. If you follow a BARF diet you would do a veggie slush instead of the organ.

How are you feeding organ? Do you feed it as a meal once a week or spread it out over several days? If you're feeding organ as a meal weekly and he's not liking that, you might try adding a very small amount of organ to his daily muscle meat meals. Sort of sneak little bits in there if you can get it past him.

Newborn
Newborn
tritonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 11:13 pm

I tried weekly as one meal- didn't work he just sniffed and walked away.
I tried searing it with PB (and then cheese)- just licked the PB and cheese off
I tried sneaking it under the chicken skin- he just ate around it
I tried putting it in his mouth- he just spit it out
I tried feeding in small bits and treat it as if it's a treat- he just spit it out
I tried freezing it in a tupperware of water and yogurt (he usually enjoys the frozen treat without the organ- he just licked around it and left the organ.
I tried putting it in his Kong- he kinda ate it.

Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 11:15 pm

When I fed Koda organs, I had to tear them up, throw them across the patio, and then go run after it like I wanted it so he'd run and eat it before I could touch it.. yep..
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 11:16 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
When I fed Koda organs, I had to tear them up, throw them across the patio, and then go run after it like I wanted it so he'd run and eat it before I could touch it.. yep..
LMAO. Awesome.

Triton won't eat his organs! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
tritonsmom
Newborn
Newborn
tritonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 2:58 am

lol! you know... I actually think Triton would fall for that and do the same as Koda. Going to try that soon!! thanks!! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 6:38 am

It was no joke man! If I put them in his bowl just as is and expected him to eat them, he'd pretty much tell me to go f myself, haha. But I would sit there and tear them into tiny pieces and do that... sometimes Jarod and I would even sit there and pretend to eat them til he told us we deserve to start and only he can eat. It was a hard time, I tell you! He was SO picky for the longest time.. thankfully now he will eat anything that is thrown infront of him!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 6:54 am

Probably better off not feeding organ meats as some like the liver and kidneys are nothing more then toxin/poison/venom waste processors of the body. Avoid brains so you don't end up with a zombie dog.

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
For some reason, I totally pictured you doing that!

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 6:39 pm

Claudia, you can only imagine how stupid I looked..
Back to top Go down
LillDragun
Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

Male Join date : 2012-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptyMon Dec 01, 2014 7:31 pm

not meaning to bring back an old thread, but Mia hates all her organs. She used to be okay with chicken hearts, but won't eat any organ meats any more. She won't even eat her chicken thighs if the liver has touched it! She is one picky princess.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptyTue Dec 02, 2014 10:24 am

Have you tried freeze dried? Some dogs like freeze dried better than the regular stuff... Also btw, heart doesn't count as organ, it's muscle.
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 4:01 am

*tiny hijack* -sorry
How come the user "heatherlee"
Is showing up as a "guest" but when people quote them, it doesn't say guest, it says a user name? Am I the only one that sees this? (Sorry never seen a guest firstly, was just curious.)
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 1:56 pm

lillith87 wrote:
*tiny hijack* -sorry
How come the user "heatherlee"
Is showing up as a "guest" but when people quote them, it doesn't say guest, it says a user name? Am I the only one that sees this? (Sorry never seen a guest firstly, was just curious.)

Heather is no longer a member (her account was removed) so all her posts now show as "guest" but those quoted before then still show her username.

Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 3:24 pm

K thanks! I was confused.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Triton won't eat his organs!   Triton won't eat his organs! Empty

Back to top Go down

Triton won't eat his organs!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1