It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

For all you THK people...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

people - For all you THK people... Empty
PostSubject: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 11:53 am

OK so the other day on Facebook they put up a post saying the first 10 people to shoot them an email would get a buy-one-get-one-free coupon for a 10lb box of Zeal. Obviously I got it or I wouldn't care lol

So I was reading the feeding instructions... 2-4 cups/day? That seems like an awful lot... How much do you guys feed (or would you feed if you just fed THK.) When Mickey was on TOTW, he got 3 cups/day and Odin got 2 cups/day. From reading the box it almost seems like i'd feed the same amounts as if I were feeding kibble. We're going to try it out but i'm truly shocked how for $100 I get food for barely a week. Very expensive, IMO.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 12:23 pm

WHAT?! I missed that coupon!??! Doggonnitt!!!

Ginger LOVES Zeal, and Storm is doing half Zeal and half Verve mixed with his kibble.

Anyway...
Ginger is 53-54 lbs. She gets 1/4 c Zeal (mixed with 1/3 c water), then topped with 1/8 c Orijen for breakfast and lunch. She gets 4-5 oz of raw chicken at dinner. So if she was to only get THK, she'd probably be getting about 1 to 1.5 cups a day (dry measure).

I go by weight for Ginger - 1/4 c mixed with 1/3 c water = 3.5 oz. So for lunch and dinner, she'll get 7 oz plus some Orijen which makes it about 9-10 oz. Then dinner is 4 to 5 oz of raw chicken, so in total, her food intake is about 12 to 13 oz - just under 1 lb.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:00 pm

Kristina, when I feed THK exclusively I feed 1 cup of THK a day on less/moderately active days and 1 and 1/4 cup of THK on more active days. Dakota's 52 lbs and he gets mix in's all the time, it is very rare that he gets THK exclusively but I think that 1.5 cups of Zeal for a 50-55 lb sibe with no add-ins is plenty. If you're going to mix other things in I'd drop it down to 1 or 1.25 cups plus add ins.

The guidelines on the box are way too much, especially for a sibe. I aim for a pound to a pound and a quarter of food for Dakota a day. 1 cup of THK mixed with 1 cup of water makes 1 lb of food.

My chi girls do well on Zeal but my sibe, strangely enough, does not tolerate ANY fish based food. I tried Zeal with Dakota and it was a no go...but at the price it's selling for it's probably a good thing he doesn't do well on Zeal or he'd send me to the poorhouse in no time!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:04 pm

When I first started Kody full on THK and I tried giving him the amount that box suggests I was like WOAHHH no way! I put some of it the fridge and gave it to him the next day. It's a lot! I never give them THK alone though so Kody usually get's 1/2 of it mixed with other stuff.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:08 pm

On Keen my two get the following 2x a day:

1/2 cup dry THK, sprinkle of TOTW Pacific Stream (trying to knock Koda down a few pounds, so he gets the same as Hailey.

This seems to be maintaining Hailey well (she's 45 lbs, Koda is 63lbs-- he should be closer to 60).

If they were not getting the kibble, I would up the THK by like an 1/8 cup.

people - For all you THK people... Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Thought I'd add this. I've been experimenting with adding Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck kibble to Dakota's THK on his non-raw days. What I've found is that 1/2 cup of THK Keen plus 1/2 a cup of Wilderness Duck is causing him to gain weight. I'm scaling back to 1/2 cup Keen plus 1/4 cup of Wilderness Duck to see how he does on that.

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:20 pm

I weigh out 3 oz of dry Keen (I think that's about 3/4 cup), then add water. Then I mix in about 1 1/2 cups of kibble, or 5-7 oz raw chicken.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:22 pm

Hmm then that's a whole different ball game! I thought the recommended servings were a little crazy...

Odin, Mishka, and Cheyenne (IF she'll even eat it...) are around 50lbs each. Mickey is about 60 or so. I guess i'll start them off around a cup a day, Mickey probably a cup and a 1/2. See where that gets us... Seamus even less, he's just around 40lbs these days lol

Sound Right?

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:29 pm

Sounds right to me! Zeal has a higher calorie count than Keen, so that's the same amount I'm giving Hailey in Keen without the kibble and she's about the same size Smile

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:43 pm

Zeal and Verve are the formulas that has the least amount of calories:

Zeal has 437 calories per cup
Verve has 441 calories per cup
Keen has 470 calories per cup

Last edited by cmanding on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Oh - and Embark has the highest at 488 cal/cup.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:45 pm

Ha! Then ignore me... I feel like Zeal is a "better" formula though... or is that just a misconception? I guess naturally I assume that you'd want to feed LESS of Zeal, but what would the reasoning behind that be?

(I am still learning too Smile )

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:50 pm

I agree Tori, i've never had much of a serious interest in THK but I really like the Zeal forumula. While I don't like the price... I think it's the best option for us when we go camping Smile

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:57 pm

Koda wrote:
Ha! Then ignore me... I feel like Zeal is a "better" formula though... or is that just a misconception? I guess naturally I assume that you'd want to feed LESS of Zeal, but what would the reasoning behind that be?

(I am still learning too Smile )

I think they're all good - just what you're looking for: grain free, low cal, protein base...

For me, I look for fish protein based formulas and grain free for Ginger. For Storm, low calorie, but at the same time, I'd like to also go grain free. I started him on Verve (which has oats) and it's their beef protein formula since he didn't do so hot when I tried just 2 tbsp of Zeal. Now that I have him 2tbsp each of Verve and Zeal and I'll probably finish up the Verve, and start him on Force which is their grain free chicken formula, to keep cost down. 2 of them on Zeal is gonna be $$$$$$! Shocked

What I do like about THK is that it appears to be filling, especially for Storm. Each meal being 1/4 c (dry) THK + scant 1/2 c kibble + Nupro (which you need to add a little more water to make a thick gravy), he seems to be satisfied. On the occasion, I'll add some green beans to give him an extra filler.....and he's STILL losing weight!

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 5:02 pm

Okay, maybe I just like Zeal better cause it's fish based and I like fish better... LOL. My head is all over the place lately, I think we need to ignore me today Razz I wish I could afford Zeal! But like you said Claudia, it gets expensive!

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 5:42 pm

I also do like it because it's fish based, but for Ginger, my other alternative is Orijen 6-fish which is also expensive! Or raw, and inexpensive raw leaves me chicken quarters!

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 6:57 pm

Dang, when I fed Koda THK before he started having a bad reaction on it, I had to do 2 cups a day for him in order to keep his weight stable! But he was crazy active..
Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 7:06 pm

Holy cow, two cups DRY?! That is a LOT of food.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 9:17 pm

He was at daycare with me 8 hours a day M-F, plus a total of 4 miles ran daily.. haha.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 9:29 pm

So... Fed the Zeal tonight. It was a freaking HIT! Even picky princess Cheyenne inhaled it. I'm totally amazed. Smelled so gross though, ew. lol

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 12:23 am

It's a hit with my 2 for sure! I think I'll always have it as their 'base' food since I can feed kibble or raw with it.

PostSubject: Re: For all you THK people...   people - For all you THK people... Empty

Back to top Go down

For all you THK people...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1