It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? Empty
PostSubject: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 9:47 pm

Hey Guys,

Does anybody have any experience with the EzDog Mutley leash?

http://www.ezydog.com/fxstore/product/525/Mutley.aspx

I'm looking to get a shock absorbent leash for Mya and Kody so when I"m ACTUALLY ABLE to walk them together that they don't drag me down the street if they see a cat (LOL).

I was first looking at the Cujo(
http://www.ezydog.com/fxstore/product/521/Cujo.aspx), but I think the Mutley is better fit for me because I slip it over my wrist and hold it at the same time. I don't trust myself just holding the handle. Knowing me I might drop it..lol.

Claudia, I recall seeing in some thread a few months ago that you have the mongrel. How do you like it?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 10:23 pm

I do have the Mongrel and the Neo Mongrel. I also have the standard extension and the mongrel extension which has the bungee. The reason why I did them all seperate is because I can use one handle and connect it to 1 extension, then connect the extension to 2 mongrel to make a Y connection. OR, use 1 type of handle and use both standard and mongrel extensions and if I want to shorten up the leash on my walk because I see a squirrel up ahead or I want to train them at a closer heel, I can easily loop 1 extension shortening up the leash.

I like both handles. In the beginning, I used the Mongrel especially for Storm because he used to pull. Now I use the Neo Mongrel so I can hold both in 1 hand.

Buying it in seperate pieces is more expensive, but more versatile.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Wow, this is some confusing stuff!!! So, the Neo Mongrel doesn't absorb as much as the Mongrel? With the Mongrel/Neo Mongrel where is the bungee located? On the handle portion or the extension? Or both? Why did you go with the Mongrel vs the Cujo?

Sorry for the 100 questions ,but I'm trying to make the best decision. Hubby will kill me if I buy ANOTHER leash that I don't like..lol
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 10:34 pm

Disregard my question about where the bungee is. I just read that it's in both.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 12:43 am

The Mongrel and Neo Mongrel are the handles. The Mongrel is like a water skiing handle and the Neo Mongrel is like a loop.

The Standard extension is a leash extension without a bungee.

The Mongrel extension is a leash extension that has a bungee.

The Cujo has the Mongrel handle and the Mongrel extension all built into one - they cannot be detached, and I sometimes like the bungee closer to them and sometimes I like the bungee closer to me depending if I'm training on my walk and want to shorten the leash.

The Mutley would be the Neo Mongrel and Mongrel extension all in one.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 7:00 am

Awesome description and explanation, Claudia!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 10:29 am

Thank you Claudia!!!! You're the best! =)
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 10:43 am

I like these also, in fact bought four handles with Mongrel extensions. I like the handles better than the loops since there is less pressure on my wrist joint. Be aware that the Bungee extensions can break/snap as two of mine have with strong pulling dogs, so you are left with a leash without the shock absorbing feature. I still like them anyway. Haven't used with both dogs yet....too chicken LOL. Braiden has stopped pulling for the most part, unless he really wants to get to something of interest. Skyla is another story. She pulls like a locomotive, all the time!!!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 10:55 am

beck3465 wrote:
Be aware that the Bungee extensions can break/snap as two of mine have with strong pulling dogs, so you are left with a leash without the shock absorbing feature. I still like them anyway. Haven't used with both dogs yet....too chicken LOL. Braiden has stopped pulling for the most part, unless he really wants to get to something of interest. Skyla is another story. She pulls like a locomotive, all the time!!!

The bungee extension broke? Oh, that's not good! So you're left with a leash without the shock absorbing feature and NO DOG!!??!!! Shocked How did you get him/her back???

My 2 are definitely pullers! Especially right when we leave the house, but after 5-6minutes of walking they calm down a bit. One of the main reasons I want to get an EZDog leash is for peace of mind that they won't break. That's one of my biggest fears Neutral
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 11:38 am

The standard extensions are great!

I think that when you start to add a bungee section to a leash, you're creating a little more 'give' for them to get a head start on the pull. And after all, it's stretchy material which will never be as strong as other non-stretchy material. What the bungee will do is it'll be softer on them if you have the leash attached to a collar.

If Kody and Mya are ok after you're out 5 minutes, then you might want to think about getting the pieces seperate like I did. That way when you start out, you can have handle, extension and bungee extention but with the bungee looped so that you start with a short leash with no bungee. Once you're out 5 minutes and they have calmed down, you can unclip and extend the leash with the bungee.

I'll send a pic to show you what I mean...

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 11:47 am

Collar on the left, attched to a standard extension, then attached to a mongrel extension (bungee) which is looped so you start out with no bungee, then connected to a Mongrel handle.
EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? Ezydog10

After walking 5 minutes out, and they aren't pulling anymore, unclip and extend the mongrel extension so you have the benefit of the bungee and the leash is longer.
EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? Ezydog11

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 12:47 pm

Oooh, I like that! ...Maybe for Christmas...

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 12:52 pm

I do like how I can configure it different with buying the pieces seperate.

AND...they have the lighter version for smaller dogs! Smile

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 1:02 pm

cmanding wrote:

LOL Is a bungee leash even necessary for smaller dogs?! Laughing

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 1:15 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
cmanding wrote:

LOL Is a bungee leash even necessary for smaller dogs?! Laughing

LOL! I think it's only the leash and handles Smile

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 1:20 pm

So here's what I have (of course I had to have 2 sets: black for Storm and red for Ginger):
EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? Ezdog_12

And here's how you would use your extensions for 2 dogs:
The standard extensions connect to your furbabies, then you connect the mongrel extension (bungee) to the handle:
EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? Ezdog_13
Or use the mongrel extensions to connect to the dogs and the standard extensions to the handle.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 1:30 pm

Oh oh oh, the extension option for 2 dogs is awesome! Does that come in the small dog version?! It seems like it would be too short for use with 2 chihuahuas since they are so low to the ground. Neutral

Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 1:53 pm

The leash extension did not break. Its made of nylon. The stretchy part inside snapped, so you are left with a regular non stretchy type leash. So having to catch them wasn't an issue fortunately. Hope this makes sense. I only have the mongrel stretchy extensions not the standard. HMMMM May have to buy those since they are pretty short with just the Mongel extension and handle. More money for these doggies.....Sigh. I bought some leashes from Kurgo which are 7 way or something and the instructions are so crummy I can't figure out how to use them....LOL
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 2:37 pm

They have the Sparky for dogs under 22 lbs. The Sparky is a 48 inch leash built with 12 inches of Shock Absorbing Stretch with light resistance. Then you can add the Sparky Coupler for 2 dog which adds 15" for each dog...so not very long, but that's all they have for smaller dogs, unless you use the standard extensions.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 3:13 pm

Wow Claudia, you're good! Thanks so much! Have you ever walked them both with one handle using the dual extensions?
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 3:16 pm

Holy crap that was complicated! Glad I'm big enough for that to not be an issue.

Melissa, if the beginning of the walk is your biggest problem then you're nearly home free in my opinion. They're getting what they want by pulling you along, forward progress. I would start there. But that's because I can't understand how the bungee thing is working here. When I use bungee cord it's to give them MORE leverage to pull, not less. Is it just a buffer to take stress off of the handler's frame? Does it give you a slight moment to brace for impact?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 3:28 pm

harrise wrote:
When I use bungee cord it's to give them MORE leverage to pull, not less.

Exactly!

I stopped using the leashes since the squirrels came out because I found it less advantageous for me. Storm did pull some in the beginning but not bad. I never used it as a 'Y' yet...mornings with squirrles, not good...during the day is sometimes too hot for a walk for Storm or it's a short one with his swamp cooler...afternoon thunder storms, no walk Sad

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 3:42 pm

harrise wrote:

Melissa, if the beginning of the walk is your biggest problem then you're nearly home free in my opinion. They're getting what they want by pulling you along, forward progress. I would start there. But that's because I can't understand how the bungee thing is working here. When I use bungee cord it's to give them MORE leverage to pull, not less. Is it just a buffer to take stress off of the handler's frame? Does it give you a slight moment to brace for impact?

Well, yes, they normally pull me HARD for the first 5minutes and then tone down a bit, BUT god forbid that they see a squirrel, cat, or another dog it's back to full DRAGGING SPEED..LOL. I don't think I'll use the bungee because of that exact point!

I took the plunge and just bought the Cujo since it came with the handle, 6" of shock absorbency, and the extension (no bungee). If i need (or want) the bungee I'll order it once I receive the leashes.

Thanks Claudia, your input really helped! I was so confused looking through all of them!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 3:52 pm

The Cujo has the bungee built in...shock absorbency = bungee...so if you wanted just the leash, you may want to re-think your order.

PostSubject: Re: EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?   EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work? Empty

Back to top Go down

EZDog Mutley Leash - Does it work?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: The Reference Section :: Product Reviews/Recommendations-