It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Walking my 6 mo old husky...advice needed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
firecallie
Newborn
Newborn
firecallie

Walking my 6 mo old husky...advice needed Empty
PostSubject: Walking my 6 mo old husky...advice needed   Walking my 6 mo old husky...advice needed EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 5:59 pm

So I was reading and it said not to walk/jog with the dog if it's under a year old. Something about her bones not being ready. It seems like my husky needs to get her energy out and loves to go for a walk/jog. What do I do? She's not much for the backyard playing. In fact she tends to ignore me when i'm back there with her. What do I do? Is it okay to go for 30 min walks with my dog?
Back to top Go down
hillarycole
Puppy
Puppy
hillarycole

Female Join date : 2011-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Walking my 6 mo old husky...advice needed   Walking my 6 mo old husky...advice needed EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 6:13 pm

Ehhhh, I walk my 6 month old husky no fewer than 5 miles/day and sometimes he even comes with Danika and I for our entire 20 miles if he doesn't seem ready for me to drop him back at the house yet. His vet doesn't raise issue with it, and doesn't seem to have any joint pain or anything (and I give him a massage every night after I've brushed him). I say take her out for a few miles, make sure your vet is aware and take her for a "just because" check up in a couple weeks or so.
Back to top Go down
Gary29
Newborn
Newborn
Gary29

Male Join date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Walking my 6 mo old husky...advice needed   Walking my 6 mo old husky...advice needed EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 6:21 pm

Skye's only 8 months old, and she gets 3-4 hours walking a day. I've never heard that dogs below 1yr shouldn't be walked.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Walking my 6 mo old husky...advice needed   Walking my 6 mo old husky...advice needed EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 6:25 pm

How old is she? A general rule of thumb for walking puppies is about 5 minutes per month of age. So for example for a 5 month old about 25 minutes of walking at a time. Jogging is best suited for older pups, but you can do it in smaller portions, jogging over grass will be much easier on those developing joints.

Newborn
Newborn
firecallie

PostSubject: Re: Walking my 6 mo old husky...advice needed   Walking my 6 mo old husky...advice needed EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 6:31 pm

That's good to know, thank you! She is 6 months
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Walking my 6 mo old husky...advice needed   Walking my 6 mo old husky...advice needed Empty

Back to top Go down

Walking my 6 mo old husky...advice needed

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1