It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Greetings from Hollywood!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Greetings from Hollywood! Empty
PostSubject: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 12:14 am

Howdy! As our name says, we're from Hollywood, California. My husband and I are owned by 2 siberian huskies - one 5 year old bi-eyed red/white male (copper) named Chili that has been with us a year and a 1 1/2 year old bi-eyed grey/white female named Frosti that joined our family 6 weeks ago. Both are rescues from a local Husky rescue that does wonderful work.

A little more about the furry ones : Chili is the rare lazy husky, we joke that he's a "fake" husky. The rescue accurately described him as a great first time husky. Chili was very well behaved from day one - very well trained and calm. He even asked for permission to come inside the house! He was a stray, so we think maybe his owner passed away and the family didn't know what to do with him. He also has a very alpha-type personality and thinks he's hall monitor at the dog park "hey! slow down there! No running!". Laughing Chili's hobbies include sleeping, laying down and eating.

Frosti is an accomplished escape artist who specializes in fence jumping and separation anxiety histrionics (workin' on it). She's extremely affectionate and very, very sweet. Also super smart - picks up commands very quickly. Obedience training in progress! Chili is definitely helping with the training, it's true that you need an adult husky in order to easily train a younger husky! Frosti's hobbies include tanning in the yard, trying to instigate play with her older brother, looking adorable and jumping 6 ft from a standstill.

Chili is a ginormous 79 lbs and Frosti is an adorable 49 lbs.

Pics of the kids:
Greetings from Hollywood! Photo%2525205%2525286%252529Greetings from Hollywood! Photo%2525285%252529Greetings from Hollywood! Photo%2525202%2525285%252529Greetings from Hollywood! Photo%2525202%2525287%252529Greetings from Hollywood! Photo%2525203%2525284%252529Greetings from Hollywood! Photo%2525205%2525283%252529Greetings from Hollywood! Photo%2525287%252529Greetings from Hollywood! 56388_10150115276252457_745172456_7881286_7278436_o
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 7:17 am

Welcome and kudos to you for rescuing! They sound like complete opposites and they are both absolutely stunning! Love the color contrast when they are right next to each other too!

Puppy
Puppy
hillarycole

Female Join date : 2011-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 8:50 am

hahahhha your descriptions of Chili and Frosti have me in stitiches! Very cute pics, as well! I've oftentimes considered getting that wooden crate you have. Any chewing problems with that?
LOVE your Sibes!

<3,
Hillary, Danika, and Volya
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 10:32 am

Welcome to the forum! I love how opposite they are as well Smile My two are like that sometimes, too!

Greetings from Hollywood! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 10:48 am

What a beautiful pair you have there!
I want that wood crate! Where did you get it?!

...Also, Storm has Chili beat...I'm starting to think I have the biggest husky in the West and Rocky Mountain region! (Storm is currently 97.5 lbs working for another 8 more lbs)
sunny

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 11:49 am

Thanks everyone! wave We love our little munchkins and love reading more about huskies. We did a ton of research on huskies before adopting and even dog sat/walked/hiked our neighbor's husky for 9 months. Then we got the Chillster and promptly forgot about all the husky antics until we got Miss Frosti Paws. We've been cruising around the forums for tips (crate training, separation anxiety, escaping, etc) and appreciate your knowledge and help!

The crate is awesome - it's funny how visitors don't notice it's a crate until one of the dogs goes to lie down in it. The expression on their faces is priceless! Razz We bought it at Petco the week we got Chili and it was only $129 on sale! Looks like it's even cheaper online at Amazon (tried to post link but couldn't) - search for Planet Petco Natural Wood Dog Crate.

No problem with biting the crate so far. Chili only puts food in his mouth, he's not a chewer/biter. Rolling Eyes We haven't had Frosti in there with the door closed yet. She loves hanging out in it so far, so that's the first step...<fingers crossed> for the rest of her crate training. We got her a kong and will start with short periods in it this week.

Claudia, WE thought *WE* had the biggest husky in the west until I saw yours. Shocked Laughing We get a ton of "that must be a malamute" comments but his build is all husky. He's 28" tall at the haunches, and we actually met a sable male husky that was an inch taller and almost a mirror image of Chili! Mostly, people are confused by his color and have NO idea what kind of dog he is. We get a ton of "that must be a wolf" comments. Laughing
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 12:34 pm

Welcome! you have 2 fantastic looking huskies! the walking pic really shows the sz difference! does remind me of claudias pair but opposite colors Smile

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 1:12 pm

jbealer wrote:
Welcome! you have 2 fantastic looking huskies! the walking pic really shows the sz difference! does remind me of claudias pair but opposite colors Smile
Huh! Didn't think of it that way, but they are like my pair but opposite colors!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 1:57 pm

Hi, welcome! Your 2 are adorable!!! I love you Totally opposites for sure! You're right about it being easier to train a young husky when you have an older one. Kody picks up on EVERYTHING that Mya does...it's funny. They are total opposites also though.

Love their names BTW!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 2:38 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
The crate is awesome - it's funny how visitors don't notice it's a crate until one of the dogs goes to lie down in it. The expression on their faces is priceless! Razz We bought it at Petco the week we got Chili and it was only $129 on sale! Looks like it's even cheaper online at Amazon (tried to post link but couldn't) - search for Planet Petco Natural Wood Dog Crate.
What size do you have? I saw it on Amazon and Petco but the dimensions didn't look big enough for my female and definitely not big enough for Storm...

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Claudia, WE thought *WE* had the biggest husky in the west until I saw yours. Shocked Laughing We get a ton of "that must be a malamute" comments but his build is all husky. He's 28" tall at the haunches, and we actually met a sable male husky that was an inch taller and almost a mirror image of Chili! Mostly, people are confused by his color and have NO idea what kind of dog he is. We get a ton of "that must be a wolf" comments. Laughing
I get that too that Storm must be Malamute but he has blue eyes (almoste white they're so light). How are you measuring his Chili? Storm is 25" from ground to the top of his shoulders...I'm trying to figure out if they're about the same height and eventually Storm will be closer to Chili's weight.

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 5:16 pm

cmanding wrote:
hollywoodhuskies wrote:
What size do you have? I saw it on Amazon and Petco but the dimensions didn't look big enough for my female and definitely not big enough for Storm...
hollywoodhuskies wrote:
I get that too that Storm must be Malamute but he has blue eyes (almoste white they're so light). How are you measuring his Chili? Storm is 25" from ground to the top of his shoulders...I'm trying to figure out if they're about the same height and eventually Storm will be closer to Chili's weight.

re: Crate : We have the larger size - the $119 one. It says "For Dogs up to 38" Long & 29" Tall " on the Petco website. It's fairly tall, so Chili can turn around in it when the door is closed. He can't stretch out while sleeping, but can curl up in there. Frosti is tiny and has no issues. She's 23" tall at the haunches.

I also measured from the ground to the top of his shoulders (haunches). I even looked up a picture of how to measure to make sure I was doing it right. Laughing Chili's weight is deceiving. He's pretty thin under all that hair! He has a huge ruff of lighter hair around his shoulders that make him look like a linebacker. Wink Here are pics of him getting washed. Chili is tall (has long legs), not that long and we keep him pretty slim but muscular by walking him at least 3-4 miles a day and hiking on weekends. He was FAT when we got him, but he slimmed down in the first 2 weeks due to the increased exercise and better food. His hindquarters got alot more muscular/compact and he gained a pound of muscle weight! Chili gained about 3 lbs of muscle since we got him. Is Storm pretty long?
Greetings from Hollywood! Chili_wet
Greetings from Hollywood! Chili_wet2

My huskies are big boned Smile Here's Chili last summer with a fancy breeder-purchased husky (who is gorgeous!) that we met at an SPCA event, who is 40 lbs and looks to be within the breed standard (snort - unlike MINE!). He looks like King Kong compared to her!
Greetings from Hollywood! Chili_with_girl

Last edited by hollywoodhuskies on Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 5:18 pm

BTW - thank you for all your welcomes! I found this forum when debating getting a 2nd husky and many of your stories inspired us to do it! Seeing them play together makes it all worthwhile!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 5:22 pm

how long were you hanging around our forum before taking the plunge to say hi?
glad you did Wink

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 6:04 pm

Ginger and Storm are built similar - stocky vs. lean and thin. Maybe Storm would measure taller if I had a 'wicket' but Chili sounds like he's the lean and thin build but in a bigger version that most. Storm is kind of long, I think. Just for comparison, here's Ginger and Storm side by side sitting, but this was when Storm was 112 lbs (Ginger is 54 lbs and is about average height for a female):
Greetings from Hollywood! 2011-010

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 6:11 pm

Here's another good reference in size - again this is when Storm was 112 lbs.
Greetings from Hollywood! Ginger10

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 6:23 pm

jbealer wrote:
how long were you hanging around our forum before taking the plunge to say hi?
glad you did Wink

I poked around the 2nd husky threads a few weeks before getting Frosti and then started reading more the past few weeks! Thanks, glad to be here! Smile Your dogs are gorgeous too!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 6:37 pm

cmanding wrote:
Here's another good reference in size - again this is when Storm was 112 lbs.
Greetings from Hollywood! Ginger10

Ya, Storm definitely seems longer than Chili, and much more filled out. I think Chili's body length is shorter. I think Storm will still weigh more than Chili due to his length.
Greetings from Hollywood! Photo%2525202%2525288%252529

I see some similarities from when we first got Chili. The top of his butt was more rounded like Storm's - and then became more square and muscular as we ran/hiked him more...so Storm's muscles may start to be more prominent once he drops a little more weight. Chili also got more of a "waistline". I did a lot of interval training with Chili the first few weeks - run one block and walk the next block. Wonder if it works for dogs as well as humans? scratch

Some of Chili's diet secrets : switching from high calorie cocktails to lower calorie sparkling wine. Laughing

Greetings from Hollywood! Photo%2525204%2525287%252529
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 6:44 pm

Yep, Storm definitely has a waistline now, and even an abdomen tuck. And now that you mentioned it, his hips do look more 'square' now...Storm's diet is THK, raw and a low fat/low cal kibble.

....LOVE I love you the afternoon cocktail pic of Chili!

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 6:54 pm

cmanding wrote:
Yep, Storm definitely has a waistline now, and even an abdomen tuck. And now that you mentioned it, his hips do look more 'square' now...Storm's diet is THK, raw and a low fat/low cal kibble.

....LOVE I love you the afternoon cocktail pic of Chili!

Yay for Storm! Sounds like he's doing all the right things!

Chili talks big, but he can't hold his liquor. Embarassed

Greetings from Hollywood! Photo%2525202
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 6:59 pm

oh man those drink pictures!!! im rolling on the floor

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 7:00 pm

That's HILARIOUS!!!
That didn't take Chili long to pass out!
lol!

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 7:28 pm

Chili's a good sport. Very Happy He lets us do anything to him. I even dressed him up as Grandma Wolf for Halloween with a nightgown and sleeping cap (I was little red riding hood...)!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 9:39 pm

Welcome!! Your two are beautiful! I can't get over how big Chili's feet are! and I love your avatar! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 12:01 am

I love the pass out pic! You have beautiful dogs, too Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Greetings from Hollywood! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 10:30 am

Beautiful. I'm not letting my Stormy see these pictures. The fact that his legs at 14 weeks (he is 17 now) are as think as my girls' legs when they were fully grown scares me. And I mean legs, not paws. How big is that crate? It is looking like he is going to out grow the large wire crate I have.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Hollywood!   Greetings from Hollywood! Empty

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Hollywood!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next