It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Storm's Weight Loss progress

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

Storm's Weight Loss progress - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm's Weight Loss progress   Storm's Weight Loss progress - Page 8 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Wow - just got caught up with this thread, and what a journey it has been for Storm! Amazing work on everybody's part! He looks like a totally different husky!
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Storm's Weight Loss progress   Storm's Weight Loss progress - Page 8 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 9:47 pm

I knew he looked skinnier than in June! Under 70, wow! I remember when I was waiting for him to weigh under 90 to lift him!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Storm's Weight Loss progress   Storm's Weight Loss progress - Page 8 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 10:58 pm

That is amazing! Great job Claudia and Storm!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Storm's Weight Loss progress   Storm's Weight Loss progress - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 3:54 am

I keep looking at his pictures from we first adopted him, and I cannot believe he has lost 45 lbs with us...70 lbs in total from his peak weight!! Literally, half his body weight in total that he has lost over the last 2 years!

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Storm's Weight Loss progress   Storm's Weight Loss progress - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 7:53 am

By losing 50% of his weight you more then likely doubled his life span.

Good work!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Storm's Weight Loss progress   Storm's Weight Loss progress - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 11:46 am

He still sits the same way! Man, even his face looks different. Way to go Storm and Claudia!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Storm's Weight Loss progress   Storm's Weight Loss progress - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
He still sits the same way! Man, even his face looks different. Way to go Storm and Claudia!
Isn't that funny that he still sits the same way?! Razz
Looking at these pictures side by side, I never thought his face would trim down so much.

Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Storm's Weight Loss progress   Storm's Weight Loss progress - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 4:28 pm

Wow, great work! I bet you feel very accomplished. Smile I'm sure he's a happy boy!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Storm's Weight Loss progress   Storm's Weight Loss progress - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 4:49 pm

I am grateful that I had the opportunity to rescue him and have made a difference in his life...I wish I could do the same for another rescue, however, I think we are a 2-furbie family...

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Storm's Weight Loss progress   Storm's Weight Loss progress - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 8:26 pm

Claudia - I know Storm is no longer on thyriod meds but how was his appetite when on them as well as now?

Blaze looks at me like I'm dinner and hes always hungry. I give him green beans, pumpkin and carrots to try to help him fill fuller but no real sign it helps. He still has another 10lbs or so to lose before I can up his kibble intake.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Storm's Weight Loss progress   Storm's Weight Loss progress - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 8:41 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
Claudia - I know Storm is no longer on thyriod meds but how was his appetite when on them as well as now?

Blaze looks at me like I'm dinner and hes always hungry. I give him green beans, pumpkin and carrots to try to help him fill fuller but no real sign it helps. He still has another 10lbs or so to lose before I can up his kibble intake.

Storm's appetite now seems to be bigger than when we first started out with him. When we first started with him, our vet helped us calculate calorie intake for weight loss of about 1-1.5 lbs a week. We fed him Wellness Core, the reduced calorie one, but didn't seem to 'fill him' up. So then we started to mix in Honest Kitchen Verve or Zeal with his dry dog food, which is the lower calorie formulas and added green beans or green peas and a little extra water - this gave volume and bulk to his food with out adding that much more calories. This seemed to help curb his appetite. He went from 2 cups of food plus 'fillers' down to 1.5 cups of food now. He is still on half THK Zeal and half Orijen Senior which has lower calories and fat - I like Orijen a lot better than Wellness Core reduced calorie.

He seems to have more of an appetite now, so we have been giving him just a little more food but no more than 1/4 c more. Dr M says she doesn't want him to drop any more weight and I think with the cooler temps he needs a tad bit more calories.

I think what also helped Storm a lot with his appetite was that we could feed 3x a day.

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Storm's Weight Loss progress   Storm's Weight Loss progress - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks, I may try some THK, although I may need to switch him to lower calorie kibble. Right now all get the same food. Rotation of Acana Grasslands and Pacifica, Fromm Surf and Turf, TOTW Pacific Stream.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Storm's Weight Loss progress   Storm's Weight Loss progress - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 9:08 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
Thanks, I may try some THK, although I may need to switch him to lower calorie kibble. Right now all get the same food. Rotation of Acana Grasslands and Pacifica, Fromm Surf and Turf, TOTW Pacific Stream.
Try mixing in some low calorie or senior formula dry food in his regular kibble. That'll drop some calories while keeping the same volume of food.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Storm's Weight Loss progress   Storm's Weight Loss progress - Page 8 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Thought I'd chime in to say that THK does wonders for making them feel fuller without adding a ton of calories. You may get larger stools but your dog will also probably feel more satisfied after meals. I personally like using Keen because it's the thickest of he THK formulas and was more filling than all the others.

Puppy
Puppy
tcarp916

Female Join date : 2012-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Storm's Weight Loss progress   Storm's Weight Loss progress - Page 8 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 1:18 pm

Wow, he doesn't even look like the same dog! Amazing job!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Storm's Weight Loss progress   Storm's Weight Loss progress - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Storm's Weight Loss progress

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8