It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Gaining Weight the Healthy Way

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
indigobluestarz
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Gaining Weight the Healthy Way Empty
PostSubject: Gaining Weight the Healthy Way   Gaining Weight the Healthy Way EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 3:27 pm

Last edited by indigobluestarz on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Gaining Weight the Healthy Way   Gaining Weight the Healthy Way EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 3:35 pm

You can try dressing up the food some more, or find a higer calorie kibble. I used to feed wellness a long time ago. We switched a couple times and settled on Taste of the Wild before we switched to raw. Although my skinny little Cheyenne stays on kibble because she just won't eat the raw. Here's some stuff I tried with her:

Switching to a higher calorie kibble
Spiking the kibble with a wet food (she loved Merrick) and adding warm water to make the smell really kick.
Adding in chicken wings or raw ground beef
Mixing the kibble with The Honest Kitchen. Cheyenne loves the Zeal formula and wipes the bowl clean.
Exercising them before meals.
Moving from 2 feedings a day to 1. Even though it may help to put weight on better with 2 meals throughout the day Cheyenne would eat less total with having food presented twice during the day, rather than just at night.
Satin Balls (there's a recipe)

Also keep in mind her build may just be slender. Cheyenne's hip bones stick out, they always have. But by feeling her ribs she's actually got a nice covering of fat (to the point where someone would think to cut back on her food a little.) So I really try not to worry that much, that's how she's built.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
indigobluestarz
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Gaining Weight the Healthy Way   Gaining Weight the Healthy Way EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 3:51 pm

Last edited by indigobluestarz on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gaining Weight the Healthy Way   Gaining Weight the Healthy Way EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 3:57 pm

My boy use to be 20lbs underweight due to food allergies and a horrific adventure with kibble.

How long has she been on Wellness? How much are you feeding her? Are her poops usually firm with form? Which formula?

Satin balls really do work great, but keep in mind they work really quickly. Most of the ones you google have tons of grains, here is the recipe I used that does not:
3pounds ground beef
2 pounds ground lamb
5 raw whole eggs (shell included)
Jar of peanut butter
16oz package of cream cheese
3 packets of Knox Gelatin

I gave 1/4 of a pound of it a day.

Also you can just add extra meat to her kibble. If she does well with beef, I'd say do beef since it is more fattening than chicken. Raw or cooked, whichever you're comfortable with.. though obviously I think raw is the better choice.

My success with Koda was just finding a food that cooperated amazingly with his stomach and feeding raw meat on the side. He also ate eggs and PB a lot, mostly due to the fact I eat eggs and peanut butter toast for breakfast everyday, haha.

Oh, and how old is she? MOST huskies look really scrawny up until 2 1/2 - 3 years old. They just don't fill out until then. Obviously they shouldn't look like skeletor like my dog did, but looking skinny is common under that age.
Back to top Go down
indigobluestarz
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Gaining Weight the Healthy Way   Gaining Weight the Healthy Way EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 4:36 pm

Last edited by indigobluestarz on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
indigobluestarz
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Gaining Weight the Healthy Way   Gaining Weight the Healthy Way EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 7:25 pm

Last edited by indigobluestarz on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Gaining Weight the Healthy Way   Gaining Weight the Healthy Way EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 6:57 pm

Heatherlee wrote:

MOST huskies look really scrawny up until 2 1/2 - 3 years old. They just don't fill out until then. Obviously they shouldn't look like skeletor like my dog did, but looking skinny is common under that age.

I am sooo happy to hear that. My Dakota still seems fairly skinny although I know she's healthy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gaining Weight the Healthy Way   Gaining Weight the Healthy Way Empty

Back to top Go down

Gaining Weight the Healthy Way

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1