It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

havin a bath

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

havin a bath - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 6:23 am

Val ..the listerine kills any germs that are on his skin as well as being soothing.
It really does work.
He is probably suffering from the hot dry air that florida has and the baby oil will replace that the moisture he is losing.
For the first week spray him every 2 days ...dont wet him with just a light spray on his skin ( seperate the fur )
Then once a week should be plenty xxxx
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 3:38 pm

Huskylove wrote:
Val ..the listerine kills any germs that are on his skin as well as being soothing.
It really does work.
He is probably suffering from the hot dry air that florida has and the baby oil will replace that the moisture he is losing.
For the first week spray him every 2 days ...dont wet him with just a light spray on his skin ( seperate the fur )
Then once a week should be plenty xxxx

Thanks for explaining that. My brain goes into overtime when I don't understand something...drives me crazy! lol

Spray it on the skin? Are you serious? Omg I can't even imagine having to spray all over him separating the fur to get at the skin. Shocked pale Please tell me this is a cruel sick joke! Laughing I still need to look for baby oil to see if I have any laying around the house somewhere. The spray coupled with the fact that he just started shedding profusely (again)...me thinks this is not going to be pleasant. No

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 5:53 pm

The other way you can do it is after brushing him ..spray the mixture onto a dog BRUSH not comb...and brush it through the fur.
Make sure the brush has no sharp bits on the bristles though as you dont want to irritate the skin any more than it already is.
The ingredients in listerine have great haling properties
The active ingredients listed on Listerine bottles are menthol, thymol, methyl salicylate, and eucalyptol. Ethanol is present in concentrations of 21.6% in the flavored product and 26.9% in the original gold Listerine Antiseptic. Thymol is an antiseptic, methyl salicylate is cleaning agent, and menthol is local anesthetic.
Eucalyptol from the eucalyptus plant has sooting properties in itself.

Try it with the brushing and see how yo go.
I have many other recipes but this is by far the best one IMO
Back to top Go down
...YouKnowWho
Forum Nazi and B*tcher
...YouKnowWho

Male Join date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 8:49 pm

Menthol is also a big reason that it soothes. Don't forget the alcohol factor. It's an antiseptic but it will also dry out the skin.

Posts made by me are not associated or approved by itsahuskything.com. It is widely known that I am a misfit, ingrate, degenerate, brash, trenchant, sardonic, brusque, forthright individual. It should be remembered that all parties operate on the internet and any offense taken from the internet should immediately be followed by a thorough evaluation of one's personal sanity.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
Back to top Go down
...YouKnowWho
Forum Nazi and B*tcher
...YouKnowWho

Male Join date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 8:53 pm

Huskylove wrote:
the hot dry air that florida has

Florida is not dry. As a matter of fact it's rediculously humid.

Posts made by me are not associated or approved by itsahuskything.com. It is widely known that I am a misfit, ingrate, degenerate, brash, trenchant, sardonic, brusque, forthright individual. It should be remembered that all parties operate on the internet and any offense taken from the internet should immediately be followed by a thorough evaluation of one's personal sanity.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 8:58 pm

Thanks a million Linzi, you're a sweetheart and so incredibly helpful. What would I do without you?! Once I get all the ingredients to make my magic potion I will follow your instructions and we'll see how things go. Seems like everything just has to inconveniently happen all at the same time. I swear it's a madhouse over here. lol

Chad's right, FL is very humid but for some reason we do still get very dry skin as a result. Rolling Eyes

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 9:00 pm

...YouKnowWho wrote:
Don't forget the alcohol factor. It's an antiseptic but it will also dry out the skin.

Now that's what concerns me, but I'm guessing the baby oil in the mixture might counteract that?

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 6:18 am

Personally I found florida air very dry which is why i said.
Everytime i go i get a dry heat rash ...not pleasant.
The alcohol in the listerine is used as a stable solution to hold the essential oils together.
Its miniscule and wont dry the skin.
In fact alcohol is present in most creams for eczema and they wouldnt put it in there if it dried the skin would they.
Back to top Go down
AgentCaroline
Puppy
Puppy
AgentCaroline

Female Join date : 2010-09-27

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 8:22 pm

I'm so glad you don't have to bathe sibes that often. We just gave Jasper his first bath today and he was not too happy about it. He was practically screaming bloody murder. One of our neighbors even came out and jokingly asked what we were doing to our poor pup.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 12:39 pm

I should have updated this a long time ago I suppose. I tried Linzi's mixture and it didn't really work out very well. Not that the mixture itself was to blame but I just could not get it on my sibe's skin. His coat is so dense that spraying is not an option, I tried dipping a brush in the mix and brushing it in but even that didn't reach the skin. The only way to get the mix on his skin was to painstakingly pull his fur apart like you would when applying topical frea treatments and apply it directly to the skin over and over in different parts. That's not going to work unless I want to spend 8 hours fighting husky fur so that really didn't work for us. Crying or Very sad

What I ended up doing is just regularly (weekly) blowing out his coat which removed any loose undercoat, debris and removed the dry dead skin. Best method I have so far since there's not much I can do about the humidity. We experienced it again this summer and the problem goes away as soon as the weather gets cooler and humidity drops. My dryer is my lifeline.

Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 4:44 pm

WHen My SIbe is Dirty .. I wash her... When I Brought her oHome @9 Wks she was Sandy colored and Now she is Black .. I Swear I Bathed Her WHiteness away ~LOL

I DOnt Bath Her Unless ..
1.. Were Goin SOmewhere in My Civic
2.. Stopped @ Pond Or Streams or Anywhere Yucky .. I ODnt want That On Her ..

Someoen mentioned ABout The Magic Husky Hair... They HAVe IT~ .. Mira Is Nasty One day And Clean The next ~ LOL [b]
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 6:20 pm

We are going for a bath on Sat. because we have family pictures on Sun. i think im going to pay to use on of those raised tubs at the daycare place. don't want the hair in our tub! i just gave them a bath early sept b4 my mom came out but i think this will be it till spring unless they get into something.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 5:42 pm

I live in Miami and Mya was born here so the heat/humidity really don't affect her. However, when she about 1yr old she started getting these nasty rashes on her leg and above her eyebrows. The vet would give her antibiotics and it would go away. Then 2 months later it would appear again. After 3 times of this happening it never came back. I'm sure it was because of the weather in Miami. The humidity is ridiculous!!!! It's cooling down now...for Miami that's the mid 60s (LOL).

Mya goes to the groomers probably ever 2-3 months or so. I thought I should take her more often, but it seems that huskies don't need that many baths. I feel better now =0) She looks so cute with her bandanas when she goes! She's going the day before Thanksgiving so that she looks cute for my family =)
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 8:00 pm

MelissaI wrote:
I live in Miami and Mya was born here so the heat/humidity really don't affect her. However, when she about 1yr old she started getting these nasty rashes on her leg and above her eyebrows. The vet would give her antibiotics and it would go away. Then 2 months later it would appear again. After 3 times of this happening it never came back. I'm sure it was because of the weather in Miami. The humidity is ridiculous!!!!

I was talking to some folks about the humidity causing the dry skin under double coated breeds and I was told something pretty interesting. They said it's because the air is so humid outside that when we take them outside the moisture gets into their coat and reaches their skin which is no big deal. However, then we take them inside into dry air conditioned air which is a complete sudden change. Now we multiply the change from hot humid outside air to dry air conditioned air by however many times we take our dogs out every day and it all adds up to create serious dry skin issues. I haven't gotten any other opinions on that idea but I can see how it would make sense. I'm not saying that's what is causing the skin issues but it sounds like a plausible theory. I don't know what you folks think about that.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 2:21 pm

so we took sierra and jack in for a bath on sat at the city bark near my office and it was nice to use the raised tub and all but i still got soaked even with a smock thing on. then we get home and sierra is all most dry and i look at her coat and she looks PINK!!! all her white fur on her side/ belly is PINK turns out ken used a RED towel to dry her off and all i can think of is that it rubbed off on her. i called the place back to tell them she was pink and they should think of not offering that towel to any white dogs. they offered a free wash on our next visit and i had to take her up stairs and give her another bath to get the pink off. it worked, she is white again and my back hurts now.

The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 2:54 pm

Poor Sierra. I would've left her pink cuz she's a stupid girl.
Back to top Go down
prentiss80
Newborn
Newborn
prentiss80

Male Join date : 2012-12-09

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 5:37 pm

I have read the post thus far, I am still not sure I understand, how offen I should give my puppies a bath. I took him to the vet last week and the vet said I could give him a bath one a week. I thought that was strange. Question
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Bathe as needed. Kale gets smelly after about 3-4 months, so we bathe him every 3-4 months lol Bathing every week for a Sibe that isn't dirty is excessive, and it may strip the natural protective oils off the haircoat if a shampoo with a detergent is used.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 5:52 pm

Koda is 8 weeks old and just had a bath a few days ago before the breeder gave him to me.. However its really muddy out and i feel he is gonna be a mess when i get home cause he stays with my other dog in a breezeway witj a dog door.. Should i bathe him or just try and whipe him off?
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 8:10 pm

Ericobeasto wrote:
Koda is 8 weeks old and just had a bath a few days ago before the breeder gave him to me.. However its really muddy out and i feel he is gonna be a mess when i get home cause he stays with my other dog in a breezeway witj a dog door.. Should i bathe him or just try and whipe him off?

If it's just mud, I would get him wet with a hose/wash cloth and wipe him down with a towel. If he starts to smell, then I'd give him a bath. Smile Like others have said, if you give them too many baths, you'll keep stripping their essential oils on their fur/skin and it could lead to future skin problems (dandruff and etc).

Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 8:53 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Miracle-Wipes-70-Count-Containers/dp/B000FPJ6PA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357771603&sr=8-1&keywords=natures+miracle+wipes

I ordered this on Amazon.

-Deep cleans to eliminate touch pet odors.
-Removes pet dander while naturally moisturizing pet's coat and paws.

Most of the reviews are negative because people think that the wipes are supposed to completely replace baths (dumb), but really, it will help to just wipe off excess dirt and stuff that gets on fur.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
Dski23
Newborn
Newborn
Dski23

Female Join date : 2013-02-15

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 11:10 pm

Hey Valerie, when you mentioned the "blowout" that you do on Dakota, does that need to be a certain type of dryer? Or will any high velocity dryer work? I have one that has a colder setting on it, which Kaiah would appreciate it more I'm sure! Smile Thanks for the help!

Dustin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/dustin.mason.73?ref=tn_tnmn
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 11:54 am

Dski23 wrote:
Hey Valerie, when you mentioned the "blowout" that you do on Dakota, does that need to be a certain type of dryer? Or will any high velocity dryer work? I have one that has a colder setting on it, which Kaiah would appreciate it more I'm sure! Smile Thanks for the help!

Dustin

Any HV dryer will do. Although the stronger the dryer, the faster and better your results will be.

Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2013-02-17

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 6:04 pm

I actually have a question my Nikita when we go to the dog park rolls in the mud should I just spray her down with water and get out what i can as I just gave her a full bath to get it all out. question 2 is it easy to learn how to use the rake and furminator to get out the hair that needs to come out??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: havin a bath   havin a bath - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

havin a bath

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2