It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

NILIF training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

nilif - NILIF training Empty
PostSubject: NILIF training   nilif - NILIF training EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 12:17 am

After reading a few posts here lately, I have realized that we have not really been consistant on our training and we are seeing some inappropriate behavior. For some reason at exactly 9 months of age a switch flipped in his brain from "crazy" to "more crazy".

For the most part, we subscribe to the NILIF method of training and Sabaka is doing well in all areas except playtime. He is CONSTANTLY trying to demand play and we have, without even noticing ourselves doing it, moved totally away from the NILIF model of training. If he drops a toy in our lap or nudges our hand to play, we tell him "No playing now" and when he becomes more insistant, we demand that he "sit" or "down". At this time he may begin barking back at us or jumping and hurling himself into us. Soooo... we stuff his butt in time-out! As you can see, NILIF has gone right out the door....

Well, today I decided to get tough! We did okay until 6:00pm or so when the craziness always starts. He and I played some soccer in the back yard and then hubby took him on a walk followed by some tugging and inside play. Sabaka obviously did NOT think this was enough fun for one evening, so he began dibbling and nudging one of my son's hands when he came in the room. The son sat down and did a great job of ignoring the dog's antics. Soon Sabaka has his front paws in my son's lap and is nipping at his hair and ears and barking. Son changes chairs...same results, new location. Son walks around turning his back to Sabaka. Sabaka is now jumping and woofing and whining and nibbling on his clothes!! Way out of control.... We could take no more so we put him in time-out. Five minutes later, he is out and conked out asleep on the floor!!

What is going on here? Should I stop with the NILIF for this behavior (I enjoy using it for open doors and walking and feeding...)? Time-out has always worked kind of like a reset button for him. We also find it hard not to tell him his barking, lunging, demanding behavior is a no-no.

Help!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: NILIF training   nilif - NILIF training EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 12:34 am

Sounds like he's entering his dreaded teenage years? Selective hearing? Disobedience?

Frosti was already 1 1/2 and Chili was 4 when we got them, but I'm sure someone here can help with some advice! Sounds like you're being consistent and not giving in, and following NILIF. Perhaps your son can exercise him on a bike to calm him down?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: NILIF training   nilif - NILIF training EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 1:36 am

hmmm... in all honesty I'd say stick to what works. If the time-outs work then continue, if they sometimes don't try a new tactic. Every dog is different and responds differently to training. Some dogs like yours do better if removed from the situation for a short while, and some, like mine lol need a different approach. Very Happy sry for such a generic response lol hope it help a little bit Smile
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: NILIF training   nilif - NILIF training EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 11:07 am

I swear that Kody and Sabaka must be long lost brothers! You're describing him to the tee!!! After he's played with Mya in the yard, gone for their walk, played with me and Mya in the yard he comes in and the second that I sit down he starts with the asking for attention. Jumping on me, barking, nipping at my feet, etc. That's when I must him in timeout! It's funny because when i tell him "you wanna go in timeout?" he starts running away from me and barking like saying "noooo, i don't want to!". After putting him in timeout about 2-3 times he lays down with a huge sigh and is done for the night.

We've started with the NILIF training as well and he's doing better on it as far as "waiting" to eat, sitting at the door before going potty, sitting for treats, etc.
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: NILIF training   nilif - NILIF training EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 11:17 am

It sounds like the time out is working for this behavior so why change it. Like you said "a reset button". I personally do not see a problem with combining different training methods as long as you are consistent for each behavior, otherwise he would get confused.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

PostSubject: Re: NILIF training   nilif - NILIF training EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 pm

I guess I'm kind of wondering if the time-out is really working. Like I said the switch flipped at about 9 months old, which was about 3 weeks ago. I would think after 3 weeks of near-nightly trips to the time-out bathroom we would be seeing some positive results.

He's an angel during the day with only me here. I'm beginning to expect a lack of respect for one or more those who arive home in the evening... hmmm.... Suspect

Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: NILIF training   nilif - NILIF training EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 12:50 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
I guess I'm kind of wondering if the time-out is really working. Like I said the switch flipped at about 9 months old, which was about 3 weeks ago. I would think after 3 weeks of near-nightly trips to the time-out bathroom we would be seeing some positive results.

He's an angel during the day with only me here. I'm beginning to expect a lack of respect for one or more those who arive home in the evening... hmmm.... Suspect

That is totally the case in my house, lol. Once certain people come home all hell breaks loose. I think it's also timing. Something between 5-7 pm = metldowns/zoomies. When my son was a tot he would have serious meltdowns around those times every night. Even now he gets a little hot tempered. Frankie and Bruiser have some serious rough housing during that time too. I always referred to 6pm as the witching hour.

Sabaka is entering those oh so fun teenage years. If the time out is helping him reset, then I would say it is working. Huskies are stubborn little buggers and it takes them a little longer than the typical dog to learn how to stay out of time out. Sometimes I think that they think a little like we do....."if I keep it up and stay consistent, they'll stop" tongue
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: NILIF training   nilif - NILIF training EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 12:56 pm

He's still a puppy and is gonna test his boundaries with you. Stay strong and consistent. Your doing a great job! Very Happy Kale would misbehave for 30-45 mins EVERY night and be very stubborn when he was Sabaka's age. He would bark and dig at the floor and be a nuisance while I sat at the computer ignoring him. Inside i wanted to scream at him and toss him in his crate but I knew I had to stay strong and calm or he would never learn. When he realized his antics weren't gonna get him what he wanted he would lay down at my feet and fall asleep. THEN i would lean over and give him attention. They are just like toddlers throwing a tantrum. If the time-outs are working then keep going, he's getting the message he's just being a stubborn husky lol bounce
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: NILIF training   nilif - NILIF training EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 7:18 pm

Dee&Frankie wrote:

That is totally the case in my house, lol. Once certain people come home all hell breaks loose. I think it's also timing. Something between 5-7 pm = metldowns/zoomies. When my son was a tot he would have serious meltdowns around those times every night. Even now he gets a little hot tempered. Frankie and Bruiser have some serious rough housing during that time too. I always referred to 6pm as the witching hour.

I read somewhere that dogs are most active during dusk and dawn, and their activity level goes up after 5-ish. We definitely see that with Frosti and take the opportunity to toss around the wubba to burn off her zoomies!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: NILIF training   nilif - NILIF training EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 7:48 pm

Totally true! When I work from home or take the day off they sleep most of the day and around 5pm it's full blown energy time! Kinda like what's happening right now..lol. They went on a 30min walk and still are acting psycho!
Back to top Go down
Ceylan's Human
Newborn
Newborn
Ceylan's Human

Female Join date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: NILIF training   nilif - NILIF training EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 8:47 pm

Well, I have no idea what NILIF training is but everyone here makes me feel like an outsider. I may just have the most well behaved Husky! I'm sorry I don't mean to brag, but it's things like this that make me wonder where her husky traits are. Trust me I'm not complaining, and for sure am knocking on wood that she stays this good. Only once in a while does she do something bad and that is when she goes to bed (her crate) for a few minutes. This works well, for her seeing as she would rather be out and getting loved on than being in bed. We do not just use the crate for bad behavior, and she understands when she is in there for her protection and when she is in there for bad behavior. I wish you all the best of luck and will send our vibes your way Laughing
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

PostSubject: Re: NILIF training   nilif - NILIF training EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Alisha, my first husky had issues, but not the same craziness that this one has! I guess, like humans, they're all different. Our first husky was SO timid and eager to please, if you LOOKED sternly at her, she would straighten up. Actually, the one time she got yelled at (she ate an ink pen on brand new carpet!) she proceeded to then pee all over the already-ruined carpet!! She wasn't perfect, just much easier to demand obedience from.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NILIF training   nilif - NILIF training Empty

Back to top Go down

NILIF training

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1