It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

my huskies dont wanna eat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
johndeeregirl109
Puppy
Puppy
johndeeregirl109

Female Join date : 2011-08-21

my huskies dont wanna eat Empty
PostSubject: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 4:20 pm

I have two huskies both about 10 months old. They don't wanna eat. This past time for buying food, money was strapped and I had to buy purina (which i know isn't good for them), but we did not have the cash to buy what i wanted. They were fine with it when we got it, chowed down on it, and ate it all. Now they don't really wanna it. they will snack on it some, but there is normally enough left over in the bowl for the next day. They get 2 cups each. I have tried mixing in eggs... it helps a little, but they are still kinda picky. Is there anything else that I might have at home that I can mix it.

We adopted the boy husky about a month ago, he is still skinny b/c the people we got him form didnt feed him enough. I just wanna thicken him up. (everyone looks at me like i starve him, its a terrible feeling, but thats how we got him and he isn't putting on weight. I hate being looked at when its not my initial fault.)

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 4:28 pm

Huskys naturally have a slower metabolism and don't eat as much as some other breeds. If they are still nibbling at it I wouldn't be too worried. As for your male, I would give him some time. If he wasn't being feed very well, then his stomach is probably still in the process of getting used to having food in it. But if you are still worried, I would take him to your vet to make such he doesn't have any parasites. They take important nutrients and can also make them anemic.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 4:30 pm

First Congrats on adopting! all of us that have adopted have gone through that stage, it gets better. Jack was super skinny for like 3 months till he was not super thin but he stayed a LEAN boy till about 2yrs old. most huskies look "skinny" till they hit 2. you just don't want to be able to see the ribs and hips. you might not like this but time for a new food. what were you feeding or would like to feed? you could always just feed raw or cooked chicken with eggs and veggies.

forget the looks you know he is in a better home and if you feel the need to just say we just adopted him are working on getting him healthy, that's what we did.

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 4:42 pm

If you are looking for a cheap but good food, look into Costco's grain free formulas (Naure's Domain and...?? Jenn knows)- $30 for the big bag which is CHEAP!
Obviously I suggest changing foods, but this can happen with every food you put them on for a period of time. ONCE you get them on a good food, you can't be catering to them when it's meal time. Huskies are self-regulators and as mentioned, they tend to eat less than other dogs unless you have 2 piglets like me who would eat the entire kitchen if they could.
If they don't want to eat, pick up the bowl (unless you free feed) and wait til later/next meal. They WILL eat when they are hungry.

As for being skinny, my dog was 25lbs underweight from food allergies and having the worst time ever finding what would work for him so I get what you mean. A better quality food with feeding a bit more than you should should help, as long as your dogs have no stomach issues (if they don't have diarrhea you're good). Eggs help my boy keep weight on. If your pups are OK with peanut butter, treating them with a PB kong is always a nice fatty treat. Also adding extra meat to their bowl will help (raw or cooked, whichever you feel comfortable with).
Back to top Go down
johndeeregirl109
Puppy
Puppy
johndeeregirl109

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 4:48 pm

I wanna put them on 4health from tractor supply. Its a pretty decent price for a good amount. I have heard that it is a good dog food and have read alot of reviews. My girl husky is normally a little piggy and eats her food clean. So, thats what got me was when she wasn't eating. And for him to eat his food, she has to eat first.

We noticed that cowboy, our boy tends to try to eat his water. He fills up very very fast on water, if there is water around, he is gonna go and drink/eat it almost all gone. We kinda have the suspicion that the people that we got him from gave him an unlimited supply of water and no food really, so he filled up on water. We are tryin to break him of that, and make him breathe or take breaks while drinking.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 5:09 pm

i checked out the food its not to bad, it compares to the costco brand food but is not as good as the grain free nature domain they carry. can you get the food or is money still tight? if your "piggy" girl has stopped eating it that could be a sign that they don't like it, and might not be agreeing with them.

i think the drinking lots of water can be a sign of something health wise but cant remember what. have you taken him in to the vet for a check up to see if he has any parasites?

Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 5:27 pm

jbealer wrote:
\i think the drinking lots of water can be a sign of something health wise but cant remember what. have you taken him in to the vet for a check up to see if he has any parasites?

It can be a sign of diabetes. Frankie did this for a long time, especially when stressed. My vet thought it was psychogenic polydipsia........my translation= crazy water drinking dog. He said it was common with this breed? I insisted on urinalysis because something just didn't seem right as housebreaking was taking way too long. He had a UTI.

I was instructed intially to limit his water intake to prevent bloat, etc. He recommended 1oz of water per pound of body weight a day was sufficient, but obviously more on hot days or high exercise days.

I still have to monitor his water intake but it has gotten better. I can actually leave water out now. He only goes crazy with the water when he is out running for awhile.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 5:31 pm

I agree with Jennifer. Going to the vet to get checked up is not a bed idea at all. I would even go as far as to get some basic bloodwork and a urinalysis done as a baseline to see what is going on internally. I know what it's like when money is tight but i'd save up for that if you can. In the meantime changing their food to something the you are more comfortable with is priority.
Back to top Go down
johndeeregirl109
Puppy
Puppy
johndeeregirl109

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 6:45 pm

Money is still tight this month. Between an old a/c unit that the landlord refuses to replace that is costing over $400 a month to keep the house at a decent temp and me driving an hour to go to vet school, money is not in abundance... :[

im hoping things will slow down some. Most diabetics tend to have to go to urinate alot, he doesn't have that issue. They get let out every few hours and he hasn't tried to go in the house once, or act like he is searching for somewhere to go.

During the day he normally doesn't constantly go drink water. Its mainly in the morning when he gets back in from going out, after eating, or any time from coming inside. He is normally good about leaving it alone, he just tries to eat it alot.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 7:07 pm

Try adding warm water to the food to create a gravy, that may help. Chili did this - we went through a few foods until we found one he liked. The rescue said it's normal to "protest" and hunger strike for a couple of days if they don't like the food. If they don't refuse treats, this may be it.

Does he eat treats? Or he's just not hungry at all?
Back to top Go down
johndeeregirl109
Puppy
Puppy
johndeeregirl109

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 7:10 pm

Oh they love their treats!! I just think they dont like the food
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 10:05 pm

I put mine on 4Health a couple months back and Dakota loves it and is doing great on it but Willow is not. She has had soft BM's since I put her on it and she doesn't act like she wants it at all now. I'm slowly switching her to TOTW. Several people on here have mentioned that rice doesn't agree with most siberians, so keep in mind you may have that issue with the 4Health. Hopefully they will do fine with it.
Back to top Go down
johndeeregirl109
Puppy
Puppy
johndeeregirl109

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 10:09 pm

im hoping that they will do fine. i just hate that they are gonna have to stay on this food that they don't like for awhile longer
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 10:43 pm

On occasion I'll get the chicken & rice 4Health and mix it with TOTW just for a change of kibble. Adobo & Biko do well on it also. In fact this Labor Day weekend I believe Tractor Supply has it sale for about $27 for 35lb bag.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 10:57 pm

Neither husky I have owned has ever LOVED a kibble enough the excitedly gobble it down. Maybe I have a cold, hard heart, but I have always assumed they would eat before they die. It you are feeding what you believe to be a good, healthy food then stick with it. You can find decent (probably not grain-free) dog food for about $1 per pound at many pet stores. The Costco and 4health from Tractor Supply have been mentioned. There's also a Merrick brand called Whole Earth Farms that I feed. However, Sabaka doesn't LOVE his food. He eats it...eventually... But he's not thin, so he must be eating enough. I would offer him 3 cups a day, but most days he eats only 2 or 2-1/2 cups.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 11:10 pm

During this summer Adobo barely eats 1 1/2 cups of kibble per day. I don't feel its because she doesn't like her food its just that she doesn't need the extra chow. She is in excellent condition and the only way to find her rib cage is to press the flesh. Biko on the other paw will eat just about anything set down for him and will have to keep closer tabs on him to make sure he doesn't get fat.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 2:21 am

You mentioned that it's been really hot out there (and humid?) - is the food maybe going moldy since they won't eat it but did in the beginning? I know Purina comes in huge bags that are hard to close up tight, could that be contributing to it?
Back to top Go down
johndeeregirl109
Puppy
Puppy
johndeeregirl109

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 3:41 pm

we put it into a plastic container to keep it fresh, and too keep everything else outta it... as in the cat.

But sticking an egg and a handfull of shreded cheese made a difference. they ate it down. :] but it only took them 2 days to decide to eat...
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 7:23 pm

johndeeregirl109 wrote:
We noticed that cowboy, our boy tends to try to eat his water. He fills up very very fast on water, if there is water around, he is gonna go and drink/eat it almost all gone. We kinda have the suspicion that the people that we got him from gave him an unlimited supply of water and no food really, so he filled up on water. We are tryin to break him of that, and make him breathe or take breaks while drinking.

This bowl is pretty cool.

http://www.wag.com/dog/p/Dogit-Anti-Gulping-Bowl-Blue-111799
Back to top Go down
johndeeregirl109
Puppy
Puppy
johndeeregirl109

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 9:52 pm

We were finally able to change their food, and we got them the 4health from tractor supply, and they loved it. My girl gave me a look like did you really just give me this amazingness! And they both scarfed their food down.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 10:09 pm

That's great! Dakota is still loveing it as well. He never leaves a piece untouched!
Back to top Go down
johndeeregirl109
Puppy
Puppy
johndeeregirl109

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 10:42 pm

It kinda gives my boy gas... lol. but other than some smelly farts, he is great with it. lol
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 10:57 pm

The gas should subside in a few weeks after their intestines get used to the new food Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my huskies dont wanna eat   my huskies dont wanna eat Empty

Back to top Go down

my huskies dont wanna eat

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Nutrition and Feeding-