It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Diarrhea...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 11:43 am

this is going to be long but I want to make sure I give you all info....ok so my two started having diarrhea two Thursdays ago. The following Saturday morning I started putting pumpkin in with their food and it firmed up their BM right away. I kept them on the pumpkin until Monday. Tuesday night they started having diarrhea again. I called vet and they said since the pumpkin worked to just put them back on it a bit longer. So I started them back on the pumpkin and it took a bit longer for them both to firm up...but they finally there. Dakota was a mild case so I continuted to give him his food with the pumpkin but Willow had a really bad case of it.... when I put them on the pumpkin the second time, I did put it with her food for thie first couple of days, but then since she wasn't firming up very quickly, I stopped her food and just gave her water and pumpkin for 24 hours. So, she is back on track and now I need some advice... I'm in the middle of transitioning her to TOTW since 4Health has not been agreeing with her. She has had soft pooh the whole time she's been on it and she really picks at it. I'm afraid if I start her back on the half and half portions it's going to get her going again. Do I feed her scrambled eggs with the pumpkin for a week and then slowly give her the half and half portion of kibble back or just put her straight to TOTW but slowly with the eggs? I don't want to make her worse so I need help!!! Also, like I said, Dakota has just a milde case so I was thinking to keep adding pumpkin to his food for a week then wean him off of the pumpkin? Please help!! I'm so tired of cleaning up pooh and I think Willow is tired of wearing it!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 2:14 pm

I would feed the bland eggs and pumpkin and slowly transition to the new food, start with a few kernels and them gradually add more each day. Since the other brand wasn't agreeing with them and they do better on the pumpkin I would transition off of the more bland diet. I hope everything goes smoothly. I hate when my Kale-Fluff has diarrhea Sad
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 4:39 pm

If you'd like you can do scrambled eggs and pumpkin and slowly introduce the ToTW... but If it were my dogs i'd just put them right on to ToTW with some pumpkin. I figure if they've already had ToTW in their system you can just start right on that.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Too much pumpkin can also cause loose stools.

If Dakota is doing OK with TOTW with pumpkin, then slowly wean him off the pumpkin and hopefully he'll be OK.

Willow sounds like she might have developed some intolerance to something in TOTW or the 'cooking' process. Ginger, my sensitive girl, did exactly what Willow is going through. She was fine on TOTW, had diarreha, and when I tried to introduce it back slowly in her bland diet, she went soft. So I switched her to Orijen which she does absolutely fantasic on. She's now on Orijen and Honest Kitchen Zeal (both fish base protein formulas which is the protein she does excellent on!)

With Willow, I personally put her on a bland diet of eggs (scrambled or hard boiled) and green beans. The green beans is a fiber filler to keep her moving and to give volume so she's full. Otherwise, eggs alone may still leave her hungry. Once you get Willow back to normal BMs on a bland diet, slowly try TOTW or another kibble. Take it slow since Willow sounds like she may need a slower transition back to kibble. Add back 25% of her normal amount of kibble while decreasing the bland diet by 25%. If it goes well with this mix, keep her there for AT LEAST 4-5 days. This will her settle her tummy with the new mix. After 4-5 days with a 75/25 mix, go 50/50 and see how she does. If at any time she goes soft, go back a step and reset her for 4-5 days and introduce another kibble brand. This is going to be trial and error, but at 75/25 mix, you should be able to tell whether or not she'll be OK within 24-36 hours of the change.

With this schedule, you'll take about 3 weeks to fully transition her back to kibble if all goes well.

Keep us posted on her progess....good luck! Hope Willow's tummy does better soon!

Senior
Senior

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 7:16 pm

Dakota is not on TOTW. He did really well on 4Health so I was going to leave him on that while I transitioned Willow from 4Health to TOTW. They both got Diarrhea at the same time which just happened to coincide with the day I started Willow with 75% 4Health and 25% TOTW. Since Dakota got the Diarrhea and I didn't change his food, I am assuming it wasn't the TOTW that set Willow off. It's either the bad batch of treats, which I am guessing at, or a bug they both got. However, I'm sure the transition in food for Willow was not helping and maybe that's why she was worse??? It's still a possibility that TOTW will not work for her, but I want to make sure before I switch her again so I think I will try Claudia's suggestion of eggs and green beans and then slowly work the TOTW in. Her and Dakota's BM's were solid as of today so do I keep up with the Pumpkin a bit longer? Do I decrease the amount of Pumpkin until they are completely off it? I'm worried about hurting and not helping the situation.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:00 pm

I think it's finally safe to say my two are back to normal now. Willow is switched completely over to TOTW and her BM's are no longer soft. Yeah! My neighbors now think I am a weirdo from watching me examining their pooh for the past two weeks. Oh well...
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:15 pm

bounce Awesome!!! I examine poop everyday of my life just to make sure..lol
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:22 pm

LOL..well, I really have no choice since I have to constantly pick it up but I was going outside witht them to watch them go to make sure it wasn't Diarrhea and I'm pretty sure I got some funny looks.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:25 pm

it's almost a year since Ginger had a lot of diarrhea...and i STILL feel her poop for consistency and look at it to make sure there's nothing funky going on!

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:32 pm

I'm checking stool consistency 5 times a day...i.e. every time my doggies have a BM! LOL The fun never ends! I'm sure everyone around me thinks I'm nuts but that's okay...maybe I am!

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:36 pm

Just think of how crazy people thought every one of us was the first time we had a good BM and jumped for joy like we won the lotto Wink
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:44 pm

LOL!! I do believe I yelled out "Thank you lord!" at one point. Laughing
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:51 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
Just think of how crazy people thought every one of us was the first time we had a good BM and jumped for joy like we won the lotto Wink

lol! I screamed for my husband and he comes running outside like "what happened? is everybody ok???" I'm like YES, BUT KODY DID NORMAL POOP!!! From that minute on he says that he knows i'm officially crazy..LOL!!!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:58 pm

Ah yes! The big celebration of normal poop! I may as well have thrown a big party! I even yelled out to hubby once when he took Ginger out to potty in the back yard, 'If she poops, I want a full report on that shit!' I was in the house yelling out to him, so I think all the neightbors heard... Razz

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 5:29 am

ughhh, ever since we went on vacation a few weeks ago we haven't had a solid stool Diarrhea... 1625187496
i hate this. i got samples of THK coming in the mail. hopefully it'll fix this. they've never been like this on TOTW, I don't get itttt! scratch
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 8:22 am

That's frustrating Jennet. I hope you get it worked out for them.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 1:47 pm

Kale's the same way with kibble, intermittent loose stools and colitis. But ever since I've been incorporating THK in with his dry (with a tablespoon of Perfect Form) his stools have been GREAT! I really hope it helps your loves! There's nothing in the world like knowing that your furbaby has had a good BM haha Very Happy
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 2:38 pm

Jennet did you buy a new bag recently? I only buy Wetlands except for when they're out. The kibble is usually more round-ish. But I got a new bag for Cheyenne and Seamus the other day.. opened it and the kibble is different! It's more flat than the old kibble and I kept looking at the bag to make sure I had gotten the right one! We feed out of a tin and in the bottom of the tin was the little bits of leftover we still had. It WAS different!

I wonder if they've switched something up...

Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 3:15 pm

yes i did notice that as well! but i didn't think much of it. they also are currently eating wetlands.. maybe they changed the formula?
Back to top Go down

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 3:32 pm

Send 'em an email!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 3:36 pm

already in the process Wink haha i really hope it's just this formula, even though it was their favorite. i think i'm gonna get a bag of sierra mountain tomorrow and see how that goes with them..
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 3:40 pm

Just sent them an email... i'll be sad if they've changed the formula.

Is Sierra Mountain the yellow bag? I think that gave everyone here rancid gas Shocked

Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 3:43 pm

it's the purple bag, the lamb formula.

mine used to be strictly on the yellow bag, it's bison and they loved it, but now they love wetlands.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 4:12 pm

Sierra Mountain is Kale's favorite TOTW formula Very Happy Hope they respond to your e-mail quickly!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Diarrhea... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea...   Diarrhea... Empty

Back to top Go down

Diarrhea...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1