It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Feeding fruit to your husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 3:48 pm

Didn't see anything about tomatoes but good information on what should NOT feed your dog.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/ss/slideshow-foods-your-dog-should-never-eat
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 3:51 pm

Mine eat anything and everything that I do! lol If I'm chopping up veggies for salad, I'll generally have 1 dog on one side and the other on the opposite side of me. They've eaten lettuce, celery, carrots, potatoes, cukes, they love apples...but I've never tried any of the other fruits...might have to try bananas and blueberries though.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 3:52 pm

I have long seen tomatoes on the lists of foods not safe for dogs. However I see tomato products included in a number of dog foods and treats. So it's one of those things that I consider okay in moderation. I certainly don't feed my dogs tomatoes but I don't avoid canine foods/treats that contain tomato.

Newborn
Newborn
mrshand214

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 3:17 am

I had no clue about grapes until tonight, I was eating red grapes, they are small, I assume because of the season and my husky, 4 months old, was whining so I gave him 9-10 of them and then researched it. Idiot! I've been a nervous wreck all night. He is 35 lbs and the animal hospital emergency room said he should be ok but to watch him. This was about 5 hours ago and so far, he is good. Been peeing regularly and no vomiting! I read online the toxicity is about 1 grape per lb of body weight and seeing as how he's 35 lbs, maybe more, he should be alright. I pray he is. I am still frazzled. I knew about chocolate and plants...who knew about grapes? I wish someone would have told me. Sad I feel so awful.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 3:44 am

He should be ok, especially if the vet wasn't worried - just make sure he gets plenty of water. There are other fruits you can safely feed - I just look it up online prior to feeding. They love berries!
Back to top Go down
mrshand214
Newborn
Newborn
mrshand214

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 4:35 am

Thanks Sam! I have been a mess all night, looking up everything I could get my hands on about it and watching him like a hawk, even down to writing a log of his pee and bowel movements since he ate them.
Back to top Go down
evelazquez
Teenager
Teenager
evelazquez

Male Join date : 2012-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Coquito started begging when I was eating dried mangoes so I gave him a piece. Now I can't touch the dried mango bag without him running over to beg. Also not fruit but my girl was eating pork rinds and made the mistake of dropping one and Coquito gobbled it up before she could bend over and pick it up. If she has pork rinds now he will go by her and start howling. It's so funny.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 9:27 am

I have gave Blaze Craisons. Dry Cranberries. These are good for them I believe.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 1:17 pm

ljelgin wrote:
I have gave Blaze Craisons. Dry Cranberries. These are good for them I believe.

Absolutely right about that, cranberry is good for the urinary tract and has lots of antioxidants. Smile

Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 2:07 pm

Kale likes pineapple, weird dog lol Psh, and cilantro... what dog likes cilantro? haha.. Rolling Eyes He's a character.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
vtomlinson
Newborn
Newborn
vtomlinson

Female Join date : 2012-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 11:15 am

Huskyluv wrote:
I have long seen tomatoes on the lists of foods not safe for dogs. However I see tomato products included in a number of dog foods and treats. So it's one of those things that I consider okay in moderation. I certainly don't feed my dogs tomatoes but I don't avoid canine foods/treats that contain tomato.

It's actually the leaves and stems that they can't eat. The fruit is fine. I did some research when my puppy started picking cherry tomatoes off of the vine...
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 1:15 pm

sierra and jack love pineapple and sierra will eat a bag of lettuces if i gave it to her! i now buy extra fruit or veggies cause they will eat just about any of it

Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 2:26 pm

Mine get fruits as part of thier diet. They dont care for tomatoes, but they love strawberries,pineapples, cranberries and other stuff. My dogs will eat almostbanything..even jalapenos. Lol.

I also give my little ones nuts. They have saturted fats that are good fir them and LOVE cracking them open. Mind you, i only do this if i can keep an eye on them bc of the little pieces. So far, so goid but i watch like a hawk
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 11:44 pm

My 12 week old is obsessed with baby carrots. He'll whine at the kitchen door and then when I open it, he'll sit in front of the fridge. He LOVES carrots.

How many baby carrots do you think is too much for him? I like feeding them to him because he'll sit for a while and chew on them. But I don't want to ruin his diet.

Help?
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 11:45 pm

Bode loves baby carrots. We usually give him 2ish a day.
Back to top Go down
tiffany
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 1:07 am

Keno loves his fruits and veggies. anything i eat, he eats.

the others will eat it them because its a treat, but Keno really loves them.

Izzy and Koozie are the picky ones when it comes to things not dog food/treats.
I joke with my husband that Koozie and Izzy go for the un healthy foods, while Keno and Klutch will eat the healthy stuff with me!
Back to top Go down
huskynewbie
Newborn
Newborn
huskynewbie

Female Join date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 2:08 pm

That's good to know about the grapes. Onions though, I didn't know those were bad. My dog loves kale lol she gobbles it up like if it were a treat!
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Lucian loves carrots as well. Anytime I open the fridge, his head is in there waiting for a carrot. I use them as training treats too. He probably gets fed 3 to 4 baby carrots a day. Hasn't had any trouble poop wise, and still eats all of his food.
Back to top Go down
DigiJutsuProKai
Newborn
Newborn
DigiJutsuProKai

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 9:57 pm

I just read this thread before feeding some banana to our husky, Kaiser, and now we know he loves them along with the peel Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   feeding - Feeding fruit to your husky? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Feeding fruit to your husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2