It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Urine pH issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

Urine pH issues Empty
PostSubject: Urine pH issues   Urine pH issues EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 7:11 pm

Over the weekend, Kitty started to show signs of having a UTI. I checked her urine pH, and it was very basic, around 8.5. Her usual urine pH is 6.5. Found a vet and made an appointment for today. Was super disappointed that there is no holistic vets by us Sad and I really didnt feel like driving the five hours to go to our old vet.

Urinalysis was inconclusive. It confirmed that the pH was high, but no signs of infection. No white blood cells, no crystals. Vet wants us to lower her protein and up the carbs, then recheck in a month. No antibiotics.

I agree that I need to lower the pH, but I'm not sure if lowering the protein is the way I want to go. Vet community seems to be divided on the issue. Some say lower protein, some say raise it. Does anyone have any opinions or ideas on how to lower the pH? confused I'm open to diet and non diet options.

Kitty has always been on the prey model raw diet. I'd really like to stay with the raw, but want to do whats best.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Urine pH issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Urine pH issues   Urine pH issues EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 7:51 pm

High protein diets can cause issues with the kidney only if the protein source is crappy (ie corn.) It taxes the kidneys. That's the only relation I know of where there's an issue with high protein.

You can try cranberry supplements. That always works for my cats.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Urine pH issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Urine pH issues   Urine pH issues EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 7:56 pm

arooroomom wrote:
High protein diets can cause issues with the kidney only if the protein source is crappy (ie corn.) It taxes the kidneys. That's the only relation I know of where there's an issue with high protein.

You can try cranberry supplements. That always works for my cats.

Agreed. I would stick with the raw diet, you can't possibly feed any better. Aren't there some holistic supplements also available to help balance pH? I wonder if apple cider vinegar would help?

Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

Urine pH issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Urine pH issues   Urine pH issues EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Started adding a cranberry supplement at dinner tonight. Good thought Val with the apple cider vinegar. Think ill start that too.
Back to top Go down
Shiya's momma
Newborn
Newborn
Shiya's momma

Female Join date : 2011-09-28

Urine pH issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Urine pH issues   Urine pH issues EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 1:49 pm

Lu&Katsmom wrote:
Over the weekend, Kitty started to show signs of having a UTI. I checked her urine pH, and it was very basic, around 8.5. Her usual urine pH is 6.5. Found a vet and made an appointment for today. Was super disappointed that there is no holistic vets by us Sad and I really didnt feel like driving the five hours to go to our old vet.

Urinalysis was inconclusive. It confirmed that the pH was high, but no signs of infection. No white blood cells, no crystals. Vet wants us to lower her protein and up the carbs, then recheck in a month. No antibiotics.

I agree that I need to lower the pH, but I'm not sure if lowering the protein is the way I want to go. Vet community seems to be divided on the issue. Some say lower protein, some say raise it. Does anyone have any opinions or ideas on how to lower the pH? confused I'm open to diet and non diet options.

Kitty has always been on the prey model raw diet. I'd really like to stay with the raw, but want to do whats best.

Apple Cider Vinegar. Cranine can be used also. Its cranberry extract in tablet form. The vet should be able to get it for you.Shiya had a UTI and struvite crystals. There's also Metigel. I REFUSE to feed her Science Diet c/d!! No way. My views on lower or higher protein are undecided as are vets and other animal. I would rather lower her PH by supplements then by Science Diet. Cranberry not only helps PH but can also prevent UTI by keeping the e-coli bacteria from adhering to the urinary tract walls. So far so good with just one Cranine a day and about a tblespoon of ACV in her food.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Urine pH issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Urine pH issues   Urine pH issues EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 5:07 pm

Is a cranberry supplement safe for long term use? Or should it ideally be used short term/intermittently?

Newborn
Newborn
Shiya's momma

Urine pH issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Urine pH issues   Urine pH issues EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 7:02 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Is a cranberry supplement safe for long term use? Or should it ideally be used short term/intermittently?

It is a supplement to support urinary tract health. So I would think so. Its made by Nutramax Labs(same maker of Cosequin and Dasaquin). There's no evidence of side effects or drug interaction with them taking it. Especially for canine. For more info its www.nutramaxlabs.com. Hope that helps??
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Urine pH issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Urine pH issues   Urine pH issues EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks for that added info, Jenifer. Do you know about cranberry in general? I know there are a lot more/different cranberry supplements out there. I might have to do a bit more research on the subject when I have some free time.

I can't find an ingredient list for the Crananidin that you mentioned though. Do you have a copy of the ingredients by chance?

Newborn
Newborn
Shiya's momma

Urine pH issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Urine pH issues   Urine pH issues EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 12:04 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Thanks for that added info, Jenifer. Do you know about cranberry in general? I know there are a lot more/different cranberry supplements out there. I might have to do a bit more research on the subject when I have some free time.

I can't find an ingredient list for the Crananidin that you mentioned though. Do you have a copy of the ingredients by chance?
I do but its at home. I will check it when I get there and let you know. Seems to me there was only maybe 2 or 3 things listed on the label. I'm pretty anal about anything I give Shiya. I have to be watchful because of her seizure meds and don't need any complications from interactions! My poor girl and I have had an extremely difficult time in these last well almost a yr now! First seizure was Jan 9th, 2010. So I am mindful of everything! Crananidins claim to fame is that it is the only supplement that actually keeps bacteria(e-coli) from adhering to the urinary tract lining. As my vets(yes plural we have 3) explained that e-coli under the microscope has these ugly horned looking hooks and those are what makes it able to adhere to the tissue. I much prefer using the Cranberry supplements and I add apple cider vinegar to her food as well as an alternative to Science Diet c/d expensive corn in a bag!! lol! Methigel(rx) is also something we use for short term urine acidfication but its only used for 5 days usually during a UTI. That stuff STINKS!! Its pretty gross. I usually have to put it on a piece of jerky or treat as opposed to applying it above their lip. Kinda reminds me of Femalt for cats but smells like garbage!
Back to top Go down
Shiya's momma
Newborn
Newborn
Shiya's momma

Urine pH issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Urine pH issues   Urine pH issues EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 12:09 pm

Valerie I just found this online for you.

Cranberry Extract (Vaccinium macrocarpon)

93 mg

Other Ingredients: Mannitol, natural liver flavor, magnesium stearate, and sucralose.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Urine pH issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Urine pH issues   Urine pH issues EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 1:11 pm

Thanks a bunch for the information Jenifer!

Urine pH issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Urine pH issues   Urine pH issues Empty

Back to top Go down

Urine pH issues

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1