It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Food Aggresive

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Food Aggresive - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 4:57 pm

Where are you located? Are you willing to drive to bring her to classes? There has to be SOMETHING out there that will be training her correctly using positive reinforcement.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:08 pm

The simplest and easiest bit of advice I have for your husband is just have Youkon sit before he does anything for her. Pets her, allows her on the couch, lets her out... ect. ect. ect. anything! As long as she's "working" for all of the positive things in her life things will begin to turn around.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
yukonblue
Newborn
Newborn
yukonblue

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:16 pm

I live in the COUNTRY, I would have to drive to New Orleans, across the Causeway Bridge, that is a 120mi trip. I have to drive 16mi. to get to the one stop light town closest to me.

I get it that you are trying to help...but I drive alone a lot and take Yukon and if she thinks of me as her food, and you people should know what kind of times we live in, I would hope that she would jump out of the open car window and protect her food. I would buy her the biggest medal I could afford. My Mom can touch me, so what is the problem? She thinks of me as her food.

I will try the food thing, but other than than, I don't want to change anything else in Yukon. The dog training has always beem left to me, not my husband. I have had huskies in my life for 30yrs now, and yes Yukon is just a little different, better that I didn't buy her and let her there for breeding stock.
Maybe tomorrow I should drive her to the no kill shelter, tell them about her problem, let them work with her and I'm sure she would get adopted soon.

Sorry but you have manged to take the joy out of my heart about Yukon.

Pat
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:21 pm

I'm really confused...She thinks of you as her food?

There's no reason to take her to a shelter, her issue isn't that bad as long as you stay consistent with the training advice you are being given.
Back to top Go down
yukonblue
Newborn
Newborn
yukonblue

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:27 pm

arooroomom wrote:
No one wants you to leave, Pat

But the issue IS Youkon and her misunderstanding of how things are supposed to work. She's guarding you like she guards her food. You are not food! You are not a possession of hers to be guarded!

Yes, I think that is what is being said unless I misread again.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:28 pm

yukonblue wrote:
Thank you, I got it it's my fault for Yukon's problems. But my husband is not into training like I am so what am I to do? He wanted another lab, and maybe I should of gone with the lab, the gentle breed. Labs out here are a dime a dozen, but Oh NO, I wanted another husky. I'm so confused right now.

Right now I wish I had the $6000.00 to send her to that animal abuse training center, and get back a broken husky spirit, where I know he uses a cattle prog....maybe I would get back a submissive husky.

Submission is respect, not fear. Don't think of it as dominance as much; it is as more a matter of establishing respect than overpowering them. Even though she is listening to you when you give her a command, she is still making the initial decision on her own, when those need to be coming from you.

Scroll down to the heading "Nothing in Life is Free!"
http://akbashclub.com/adaanilif.htm

Another great resource.
http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

Hope these sites help Very Happy if not them go to google.com and type in NILIF and you'll get an overwhelming amount of info Smile

Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:30 pm

She thinks she owns you, like how she snaps when you go near her food because she owns that. She's guarding you, like you are hers. You need to show her that you are Alpha, not her. She is under everyone in the house. She eats after everyone. She needs to show you guys respect.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:33 pm

yukonblue wrote:
I get it that you are trying to help...but I drive alone a lot and take Yukon and if she thinks of me as her food, and you people should know what kind of times we live in, I would hope that she would jump out of the open car window and protect her food. I would buy her the biggest medal I could afford. My Mom can touch me, so what is the problem? She thinks of me as her food.

You are taking what I said way out of context. This is what I said: "She's guarding you like she guards her food. You are not food! You are not a possession of hers to be guarded!" Siberian Huskies are not guard dogs. She isn't 'guarding' you in a way that's beneficial. She's not a German Shepherd. Her motive isn't to protect.

yukonblue wrote:
I will try the food thing, but other than than, I don't want to change anything else in Yukon. The dog training has always beem left to me, not my husband. I have had huskies in my life for 30yrs now, and yes Yukon is just a little different, better that I didn't buy her and let her there for breeding stock.
Maybe tomorrow I should drive her to the no kill shelter, tell them about her problem, let them work with her and I'm sure she would get adopted soon

I don't understand this at all? You said she won't let your husband get close to you and will snap at him... We were simply offering advice to change this. No one was suggesting you get rid of Yukon!

I'm severely confused...

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:34 pm

yukonblue wrote:

Pat

Pat, I'm just catching up on this thread and honestly, her issues aren't
something that you can't work through. Trust me, my Mya has MANY of
Yukon's traits. Believe me, as long as 're consistent with her (and so
is your husband) you'll work through it. I don't know much about dog
training, but have taken the advice of Kristina and a few others on the
forum and it's worked. It seems that you have a great heart, lots of patience, and your head in the right place so please don't let it get you down.

Why are you saying that the people commenting on this thread have managed to take the joy out of your heart about Yukon? They're just giving their advice and trying to help you. Please don't take anything personal. Everything that has been said here is out of the good of their hearts. If not, they wouldn't even bother offering you advice.

I can see that you have A LOT on your plate and I can definitely seen where all of these emotions are coming from.

We're here to help you through all of this. Keep your head up and you'll be fine Very Happy

Edit: Who said that you should get rid of Yukon? Suspect
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:38 pm

yukonblue wrote:
I live in the COUNTRY, I would have to drive to New Orleans, across the Causeway Bridge, that is a 120mi trip. I have to drive 16mi. to get to the one stop light town closest to me.

Maybe tomorrow I should drive her to the no kill shelter, tell them about her problem, let them work with her and I'm sure she would get adopted soon.

Pat

Her response to training will not happen overnight. It may takes months and months. It is all about consistency. We're not telling you to get rid of her, we're trying to help you. In order to fix the food issue there needs to be other lifestyle changes as well. Once you get used to the training method that you choose, it will become second nature; and Yukon will follow suit. Consistency, rules, and boundaries. She's not broken, she just needs to learn what's acceptable and what's not. She WILL learn! I love you It is just gonna take time and patience.
Back to top Go down
yukonblue
Newborn
Newborn
yukonblue

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:42 pm

Thank you all, now I need to go and hug my evil Yukon. Sorry but I'm so sad now.

I know that you all mean well, and I will take the advise that I think worthy and disrecard the rest.
Yukon is not a bad dog, she is not evil, she is not a killer. I never plan to show her she is my pet and I will take the advise that I think can work.
You seem to think that she walks around the house, opens the ice box and helps herself to food, that she snawls all day long and bears her teeth. For goodness sake, she is just a kissy face husky, she loves to give kisses. Maybe you people don't care for a husky dog kiss, but I'm 64yrs old and have not died yet for a dog kiss.

Please don't take the joy out of my heart with Yukon...help yes. but don't try and make me hate my dog as just evil, she is not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:51 pm

I don't see one person in here who said you should hate your dog or that she is evil. If you want help, people have to be honest and address what her issues are and what they believe would be beneficial to correct them. They're talking about her negative traits because THAT is what you asked for help for. This is a thread on you asking about her food aggression and being possessive, they are trying to help you with that- of course they are not speaking about positive traits as that is not what you are having issues with.

EVERYONE here loves their dogs, and MOST of the members had dogs with issues that they still loved and took time and dedication to correct them. I have no clue why you are speaking to the members on this board like they are heartless and hateful to does who are not perfect. No one here has a perfect dog.

No one thinks Yukon is evil, no one is saying all she does is snarl and bite and show teeth, YOU asked about her issues and you are getting responses on how to help them and people with the knowledge to help and lending it to you and you just keep saying people are mean and hate on your dog. And everyone keeps telling you that all they want to do is help you and your dog, and reaching out to you telling you that they themselves have had similiar issues with their dogs(who they obviously love with all their hearts regardless of the struggles they had) and how they dealt with them.. and you just keep saying again and again that they are being hurtful, mean, taking away the joy you have with your dog. Not sure how to help you because you seem to take everything the wrong way and don't seem to want help if it can't be done without addressing how serious your dogs issues are.

We all love our dogs. We love our dogs giving us kisses, we love having them by our sides, we love petting them and they are all part of our family. We are no different than you with our love for our dogs and to be honest your responses make it seem like you think you are way more compassionate with your animals than us and that is not the case, we are all on the same page here with our love for our animals.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:52 pm

Pat, honestly I'm a little confused here. When did anybody say that she was evil? Mean? A bad dog? Or that you should get rid of her? I really don't see how anybody has suggested that? No husky is evil. We all LOVE husky kisses. That's the highlight of my day. Mya gives me kisses all the time even though she has other issues (just like Yukon). No dog is perfect...just like no human is perfect.

We're here to help you...don't forget that. Nobody is saying anything negative about you or your princess I love you
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:55 pm

yukonblue wrote:
Yukon is not a bad dog, she is not evil, she is not a killer. I never plan to show her she is my pet and I will take the advise that I think can work.
You seem to think that she walks around the house, opens the ice box and helps herself to food, that she snawls all day long and bears her teeth. For goodness sake, she is just a kissy face husky, she loves to give kisses. Maybe you people don't care for a husky dog kiss, but I'm 64yrs old and have not died yet for a dog kiss.

Please don't take the joy out of my heart with Yukon...help yes. but don't try and make me hate my dog as just evil, she is not.

No one has said anything of the sort! Not even remotely close. We all love our kissy Huskies but i'm sure you would much rather have a kissy face Husky 100% of the time, wouldn't you? Not have to worry about being bit over a paper towel on the floor? Cat food? Garbage bag? Spilled kibble? That's what we are offering you.

We only know what you've told us. That she resource guards and won't let your husband near you. Those are 2 big issues that we want to help you overcome so that Yukon can be the best pet possible.

Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:55 pm

yukonblue wrote:
Thank you all, now I need to go and hug my evil Yukon. Sorry but I'm so sad now.

I know that you all mean well, and I will take the advise that I think worthy and disrecard the rest.

Wow, that's not we think at all. At least I don't. I'm just gong off what you have told us. Jumping on the couch without permission, jumping on the bed and laying in-between you and your hubby, snapping at your husband, and at you when you get near her food. That's all I'm going on. Those are all signs of disrespect, and are ALL things that can be trained out of her, "positively" trained out of her. I don't understand how were taking the joy out of you and your relationship with your furbaby, when all we are talking about here is training. Simple training; No one here has said your Yukon is a killer, an evil dog, or a helpless case. No one, that's all come from you. We all know the breed here, they are loving and sensitive animals, just like your Yukon. Again, the only thing we have been talking about here is training.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:58 pm

Pat, no one has said anything about Yukon being evil, or a bad dog. We all love our dogs and we want to help you! I don't understand where you're getting this from. We just want to help Smile
Back to top Go down
yukonblue
Newborn
Newborn
yukonblue

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 6:11 pm

I apoligy to all the members here.....I guess that I did make the mistake of asking the question, but want to thank all of you for the information. It's just that sometime little is better than more info and the same thing being said over and over. I know that you all meant well.
I'm sure that you all love your dogs as it should be.

I'm sure that all the members here belong to some husky group, and have great vast knowledge on huskies. I on the other hand do not know what you know, so I have been put in my place. I asked and you gave your vast knowledge of information.

I'm so sorry for any misunderstanding. THANK YOU for your knowledge in this area.

Pat
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 6:15 pm

We all learned everything we know about Huskies from each other Smile Forums are a great place to help you learn! When I got Embry, he was my first Husky, I knew nothing of the breed other then that they were gorgeous and everything I've learned has been from this forum, or a different Husky forum.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 6:17 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:
We all learned everything we know about Huskies from each other Smile Forums are a great place to help you learn! When I got Embry, he was my first Husky, I knew nothing of the breed other then that they were gorgeous and everything I've learned has been from this forum, or a different Husky forum.

Exactly!!! I had Mya for 4 years before I found this forum and 85% of what I know now is because of all of the members on here.
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 8:55 pm

Are you crazy? Your talking about your growling biting snaping snarling husky, and these people with the knowledge to help you try to give you advice, and you want to turn it into they are calling your dog evil? It seems to me that you are trying to make us feel sorry for you for attention or something, i mean, are you really 64? I am not buying it. Do you think its funny when yukon snaps at you or your husband? Because I am sure that a dog bite can be no worse than a squirrel bite right? Tell that to the scar on my mouth from a poodle bite when i was 7. I mean, I want to say so much right now, but I wont, Ill keep it simple. Sounds like to me you either dont care that your dog does this because you really dont want the advice, or you just dont have the time or patience to teach Yukon how to act. Witchever it may be, you should figure it out fast, before he gets one of those squirrels and gaurds it and you cant get it back. Wake up call, apparently the nice advice wasnt working, so theres probable cause of something that is liable to happen, so do something about it if you care about your dog and its behavior.
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 9:13 pm

Aww who took a treat away, that was mean! Lol
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 9:26 pm

i<3neo wrote:
Aww who took a treat away, that was mean! Lol

what are the treats anyway? lol who has control over them? That's always confused me scratch
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 9:32 pm

On the side of every post there's a + or - sign if it's good advice you give it a + and vice versa Wink
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 9:56 pm

Jennet&amp;Embry wrote:
On the side of every post there's a + or - sign if it's good advice you give it a + and vice versa Wink

AH! psh gothcha! *thumbs up* lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Food Aggresive   Food Aggresive - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Food Aggresive

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2