It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! Empty
PostSubject: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 11:57 am

I pick Luka up on the 25th of this month, the closer that date gets, the more nervous it makes me! In the last few weeks I've been reading & watching everything Husky i can find on Google/YouTube & today I came across this forum. Hi Smile

I just ordered Luka's crate which should be delivered on Monday, i went for the 42" - i just hope its not too big or too small. I have no idea what else I need, I thought I'd be a lot more composed than this with only 13 days left!

Hello once again & thanks for having me! I'll upload pictures of him when I finally bring him home.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 12:18 pm

Welcome! Not much longer to wait there. You'll be puppy-proofing and cleaning up shredded items in no time!
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 12:41 pm

Way to boost the confidence! Loljk, good luck with your new addition!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 2:01 pm

wave Congrats on the soon to be new addtion! Make sure you post tons of pictures. That is a requirement on this forum. Wink
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 3:02 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to post lots of photos :-)
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 3:44 pm

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new addition! The 42" crate will work for you for a long time, but make sure you have a divider for when you're potty training. Luka should only have enough room to stand up, turn around, and sleep comfortably. Also, some Huskies don't like any bedding, and some like all kinds of bedding. Make sure to puppy proof. Anything at floor level up to about 4' is fair game. We've never really had a chewing problem in the house, because we never left ours unattended and we were always there with an appropriate chew toy to shove at her if she went for something she shouldn't. The couple times we caught her chewing on furniture, we said a firm "no" and sprayed her with a water bottle that had a little bit of bitter apple in it (you can get it at Petsmart). Also, if you need to leave him unattended for any time at all, put him in his crate, especially since he's reliably potty trained.

You will find a wealth of information on here, and if you can't find a thread that answers your questions start a new one. Luka is going to be tons of fun for you guys, but there will be days that he is very challenging. Again, welcome to the forum and enjoy every day with Luka!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks for all the info Smile I guess I won't know if he's into bedding or not until he rips up what i give him - ripping up blankets is a sign he doesn't like it... right?

Ill start with a firm 'NO' and if he persists ill go n get some bitter apple! Thanks again for all the advice!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 4:28 pm

It's either a sign he doesn't like it or you've left him in the crate too long and he's bored. The ONLY time we ever had a problem with ours shredding bedding was a week or 2 ago, after I had ankle surgery and my fiance wasn't taking her out enough. We woke up to a hole in her bed and some stuffing in the crate. Wasn't bad and we fixed it right away. Aaron got the point that he needed to take her out more, and there haven't been any problems since.

Good luck!

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 6:12 pm

Well, I'm fit and available to exercise him plenty! Theres a dog park nearby as well which will be good for him - i hope theres a husky or two he can say hello to. Im probably going to buy him one of those big pillow things and see how he gets on.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 6:35 pm

That's great! Where do you guys live? I wish there were more Huskies around here, and I'm thinking about organizing a meetup and seeing what happens. Who knows, this is kind of a podunk area where I live. We have a cushy little bed that we got for Ghost, that fits perfectly in her crate. She likes it a lot, and Petsmart is having a really good sale right now for Veteran's Day.

Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 6:50 pm

I live across the pond, in London I'm afraid, although palm trees and a meet up with other husky owners is tempting enough to get me to move over your way! I wish... Florida's beautiful, i've been once when i was a lot younger.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 6:59 pm

This part of FL has nice beaches but is really redneck. I only live here because I got stationed here with the Navy. We actually have a handful of members from the UK, hopefully some of them will chime in on this post and if it's not too great of a distance you could have a meetup. We've got a lot of members here from Miami, but that's 11 hours from me...

Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:12 pm

Ah kl, i've noticed a lot of sib owners are part of the navy? East to West in america is a big deal, huge distances - its not so bad over here!
Back to top Go down
rpataca
Newborn
Newborn
rpataca

Male Join date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:44 pm

Erinc funny you say that. I know a guy who's in the army and they recently adopted a puppy as well. And your right sounds like a lot of navy folks have them. Didn't pick up on it. Interesting!

We're also waiting on our first puppy - however not as lucky as you. We're still about 4 weeks out. And getting really excited. As far as the cage we just got a 48 inch one but was told it needs some sort of divider to limit the space. Was thinking about making something out of plexiglas to narrow the space while he grows.

A good book I'm in the process of reading is Husky for dummies.

Let us know how the first few nights go - need advice keep us posted!

Is this your first dog?

Welcome a lot of great people on here and plenty of advice.
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:47 pm

I have a Luka too! Mine is a girl though. Congratulations and can't wait to see pics!
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 8:19 pm

A girl Luka? Shhh, don't tell him that or he'll moan that i haven't given him a manly enough name Smile I have the camera and memory card ready to start snapping away Smile

Raz, I will be sure to let you know how it goes as I can appreciate how valuable it would be to have someone a couple of weeks ahead of you give you feedback - I'm not sure how I'm going to divide his crate up - probably look online first for anything i can buy for that purpose and if that fails i can fall back on my DIY skills!

Yes, this is my first pup/dog/friend! I've been around loads of dogs and been lucky enough to look after them but haven't had the time till now to commit to raising a pup of my own... ATM i'm only out the house for less than 10 hours a week so it was now or never - i've wanted a dog forever & have been researching and looking for a sib for the past 6 months.

PS> Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into getting my hands on a Husky for Dummies right away!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 8:51 pm

Welcome!! Can't wait to see some pics of your Luka!!

Kale and I say HELLOOO from California! Cool
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 9:11 pm

Erinc wrote:
Ah kl, i've noticed a lot of sib owners are part of the navy? East to West in america is a big deal, huge distances - its not so bad over here!

You aren't kidding. I did a road trip from Oklahoma to California, then moved from Oklahoma to Florida, and those were both long drives. North to south is bad too, we're talking about driving up to my parents house in Chicago over Christmas, and it will be an ~18 hour drive. Ugh....

We haven't run into many other sibe owners in the Navy, but there are a bunch in the Air Force and Navy. Granted, they keep stationing me in the south, where Sibes aren't as popular. One of these years I'll move back north...

Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 9:04 am

Brooke, I was in cali last year - did the whole, LA Vegas (i know vegas isn't cali) Frisco road trip, it was insane! I can't wait to go back and do it all again!

M&A, The longest road trip you're going to have to do over here is roughly 11hours - and thats from the bottom corner of the uk right the way up to the end of scotland LOL! - You could probably drive round europe in that time too Smile A lot of what i've read on the internet has been from those in the Navy & how they're sibs don't enjoy being in a warmer climate - which is understandable...

Back to top Go down
Bigmuddin69
Newborn
Newborn
Bigmuddin69

Male Join date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 3:33 pm

Did ya get Luka today Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 9:40 am

Sorry for the late reply! - I did - I've posted pictures in the Scrapbook section Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!   Patiently (impatiently) Waiting! Empty

Back to top Go down

Patiently (impatiently) Waiting!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1