It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Little Luka - From Day 1

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Little Luka - From Day 1 Empty
PostSubject: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 10:31 pm

When I first saw him at 4 weeks:
Little Luka - From Day 1 IMG_1637
Little Luka - From Day 1 IMG_1638

Me bugging the breeder for another photo at 5 weeks:
Little Luka - From Day 1 IMG_1647

7 weeks:
Little Luka - From Day 1 IMG_1687

His first day home!
Little Luka - From Day 1 IMG_1714
Little Luka - From Day 1 IMG_1706
Little Luka - From Day 1 IMG_1702
Little Luka - From Day 1 IMG_1699
Little Luka - From Day 1 IMG_1697

Now he is downstairs, its 1.30am and he is in his crate crying Sad i don't want to go down just yet, i want to let him work out that crying isn't the key to getting out.

Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 11:09 pm

aww he's so cuteee
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 11:37 pm

How adorable!!
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 12:35 am

So cute! And he has the best name! Wink
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 4:14 am

Thanks all Smile I've had a pretty sleepless night - he was amazing after around 3am - i slept with him on the floor outside his crate till 3 and then left him all alone till 7, just took him out for a poo and pee and its breakfast time soon!!

He has so much energy which is unusual for first day back but he already knows his name, sits when told and when crossing the road and trys his best not to potty in the house!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 5:02 am

He is gorgeous! You guys will get through the sleepless nights very soon. Little puppies like that cry for their mom and siblings the first few nights they are away because they are lonely. It's the hardest thing in the world to do, but you have to let them cry it out. As you said, if you don't it will set the precedent that he will be let out every time he cries, and that will make crate and potty training difficult.

Raising little puppies is hard, Aaron and I wanted to just pull our hair out some days with Ghost's little puppy antics. It sounds like you guys are already off to a great start with him. Be very careful walking him... it's very hard on their little bodies to walk on hard surfaces. It's best when they are super little like Luka is (how old is he again, 8 weeks?) to just let them run around in the yard for 15-20 minutes a couple times a day, plus little potty outings. When we first had Ghost, I was really taking her out like every 20 minutes at first, but she grasped it within a few days. If you do need to walk him, limit it to 5 minutes per month of age, so if he's 2 months old you shouldn't be out for more than 10 minutes.

Ok, I keep falling asleep writing this, but please don't hesitate to ask if you have questions and can't find the answer in a thread that's already there. Best of luck, and again Luka is really pretty Very Happy

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Little Luka - From Day 1 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 5:09 am

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated Smile

Ill cut his exercise down a touch then - I'm quite strict with him outside as he hasn't had his jabs yet.

Is there anything i can do to harden up his poo? its quite runny? would a little bit of boiled rice in his afternoon meal help?
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 2:12 pm

What food is Luka currently on?

I ask, because a lot of Huskies have food sensitivities. You'll find that runny poo is a very common problem here on the forum. When we brought Ghost home, we had the same problem, and it took us a couple of weeks to resolve it. You guys are in the UK, right? Not sure what you have available there as far as food goes, but check out the site www.dogfoodadvisor.com. They will be able to point you to a high quality food that Luka won't have any problems with. Like us, you may have to do a grain free food.

So, as far as the runny poo goes, first things first. Have you been to the vet yet? If not, you should make an appointment, not only to get the vaccinations going but also to have his poo checked to make sure he doesn't have something making him sick. Aside from that, completely take away his kibble and feed him a bland diet until he firms up. Then you can start reintroducing kibble. I can't find the original thread with the information, but here is what I did for Ghost. She was 10-12 weeks and probably ~15 lbs (~7 Kg), and we did 2 scrambled eggs 4 times a day with about a cup of raw green beans and carrots for each filling. The eggs are a good protein source and very gentle on their little tummies, and the veggies provide good fiber and keep them feeling full. When you scramble the eggs, instead of using milk (I usually do that when I scramble them for myself) just put a little water in them to fluff them, or don't use anything at all. As long as there are no parasites or other infections going on, Luka should firm up very quickly. Once he does, slowly introduce kibble and see how he does.

We had to do this little reset a couple times with Ghost, because the first time we tried to do a kibble with grain in it (Innova), and she didn't tolerate it. We do Blue Wilderness now, but I'm considering switching over to Taste of the Wild since it's just as high quality but significantly cheaper. They just introduced a puppy specific formula as well.

Good luck!

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 3:34 pm

Yes, we're across the pond.

He is on proplan at the moment - its what the breeder provided me with and seems to be working fine. She did specifically say no treats, treat him out his kibble but Luka had so many visitors last night that everyone gave him a treat, next time ill be firmer with people. Today i reduced his portion sizes a little bit and 2 poo's later he firmed up pretty well Smile

Thanks a million for your scrambled egg idea, i will definitely keep that in mind - its great having experienced husky owners who can advise me.

Would he be able to eat the eggs beans from 8 weeks?

Ill upload more photos from today seeing as spamming is acceptable in his own scrapbook Smile
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 9:53 am

Yesterday (Day 2):

Its so hard to get a photo of him sometimes - never sits still!
Little Luka - From Day 1 IMG_1721

Have I divided his crate right? He only woke up once last night and that was because he needed to go outside to go toilet!
Little Luka - From Day 1 IMG_1723

Little Luka - From Day 1 IMG_1726

This is us at half 3 in the morning trying to get to sleep - after he went toilet - the fresh air wakes him up temporarily!
Little Luka - From Day 1 IMG_1732

6am this morning with his tongue out :p
Little Luka - From Day 1 IMG_1733
Back to top Go down
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 11:13 am

Oh I just love it when they sleep with their little tongues out. SO adorable.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 1:02 pm

He's sooo cute! The pics make me want to get a puppy, and then your story reminds me why we'll never get puppies! Wink hehe

Enjoy this stage and take lots of pics, they grow up so fast! Smile
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 4:59 pm

Luka Sit - Luka Down - Luka - Luka - LUKA!! SNAP SNAP SNAP Very Happy
Little Luka - From Day 1 IMG_1736

Back to top Go down
Jimmy
Newborn
Newborn
Jimmy

Male Join date : 2011-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 8:00 pm

they grow up too fast Sad miss mine being that big, and he's only 10 months
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 9:07 pm

Jimmy wrote:
they grow up too fast Sad miss mine being that big, and he's only 10 months

I agree! I sometimes forget that Ghost was once that small, and then I go back and look at old pictures. It's insane how quickly they grow!

Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 3:58 pm

He's 9 weeks on Sunday!
Little Luka - From Day 1 IMG_1735
Little Luka - From Day 1 IMG_1752
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 4:56 pm

Oh he is so cute. I love the devious look in his eyes.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 5:00 pm

cute boy and yes the crated divide looked right, just enough room to lay and turn around, good that he woke you up to go out as well!

Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 5:36 pm

He is such a handful - constantly biting at the moment - is there anyway we can stop the biting? I've tried everything but it doesn't seem to phase him! When he isn't in that biting mood he is the sweetest pup! Loves cuddles, loves to learn & loves to play! The divide is working well so far - he has only pee'd in it twice since we got him and i believe that was because i just didn't let him out in time - usually happens during the night.
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 5:24 pm

Luka's new couch - apologies for the picture quality, my phone is the most convenient camera around and its poo!
Little Luka - From Day 1 IMG_1797
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 5:55 pm

wow, where'd you get that? it looks awesome!

look at those paws, he's gonna be a big boy!
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 7:12 pm

someone has mentioned that before about his paws, i did try to search to see if there is some sort of formula to gauge how big he will be but i couldn't find anything! guess i just have to be patient!

we picked the bed up from pets at home, LINK - its really durable and he loves it - you can take off the outer cover and machine wash it - its also a waterproof cover so whats inside should stay relatively clean! Made by 3 peaks?

I believe petsathome is petsmart in the states!
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Female Join date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 12:15 am

Luka is very handsome! I miss Indy being that small as well and he's only 7.5 months old! Enjoy that little face. Can't wait to see pics as he grows (:
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 5:32 am

He thought that maybe he can get to Narnia through our washing machine! Finding him like this was hilarious at the time - I'm pretty sure he could't pluck up the courage to jump back out!

Little Luka - From Day 1 CIMG1392
Little Luka - From Day 1 CIMG1391
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 5:43 am

awwwwww
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Little Luka - From Day 1   Little Luka - From Day 1 Empty

Back to top Go down

Little Luka - From Day 1

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next