It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Sleeping Outdoors

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Female Join date : 2011-10-02

Sleeping Outdoors Empty
PostSubject: Sleeping Outdoors   Sleeping Outdoors EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 10:43 pm

I guess I gave my girl too much turkey yesterday (it was just a few bites), because this morning the poor thing was huddled in the corner of her crate trying to keep from stepping on her mess. I felt so bad! I cleaned it up and lost track of time and woke my bf up later than usual to get ready for work... It was the last straw for him. He says she's going to sleep outside from now on. But it's so cold! Granted, I'm in the Central Valley of California, so there's no snow, but it's foggy and damp and she won't sleep inside her crate while she's out there, so she's left with concrete or wet lawn. What can I do? Every time I've left her alone with something soft enough to keep her warm she's eaten it. He says he'll help me pay for a dog house, but I'm still not sure how to entice her to sleep in it without locking the door... Please give me some suggestions. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Sleeping Outdoors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Outdoors   Sleeping Outdoors EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 11:11 pm

I'm sorry, but this sounds like an issue between you and your boyfriend. Sounds like there are bigger issues going on than you just waking him up late. Does the dog belong to both of you? I don't agree with keeping a dog outside, so I may be biased - but huskies want to be part of your pack and stay with you. Our dogs love the outside, but love to be with us more.
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Sleeping Outdoors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Outdoors   Sleeping Outdoors EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 11:21 pm

I know... He's gotten tired of me arguing those points for now. She was supposed to be both of ours, but she's pretty much ended up being mine. He may change his mind eventually, and I'm still going to let her in while we're home, but for now I need some way to keep her warm for the night that won't damage her intestines.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Sleeping Outdoors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Outdoors   Sleeping Outdoors EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 12:37 am

Sky needs to be feel safe. Having a warm place to sleep near you, will make her feel safe and part of your pack. Sleeping outside and away from you will make her insecure.

Isn't Sky a rescue? If so, she'll have even more anxiety.

As far as the pooping in her crate, feed her hours before you put her inside for the night. And make sure that you give her a long walk before you put her inside so she can eliminate.

A new dog in a new house is going to have issues. I think that if she pooped in her crate, she really must have been in distress and couldn't hold it. That is not willful behavior.

Just so you know, my dog pooped on my bed when we brought him home!
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Sleeping Outdoors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Outdoors   Sleeping Outdoors EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 3:06 am

I know the pooping wasn't her fault. She had an upset stomach. No It's the first time she's gone in her crate. We aren't even supposed to have her inside the house, really. I figured that we could stretch the landlord's rule a little if she slept in her crate, because she wouldn't be able to do any damage to the house.

I'm not sure if I should consider her a rescue. I bought her from a coworker just before she left the company. She said a husky was too much for them to handle. I don't know much about her background, because I didn't know what sort of questions to ask at the time.

She slept outside when we first got her, during the summer, and did fine. I brought her in last month because of her spay and then didn't want to put her back out because of the change in the weather.

No one here uses a dog house? Even a heated one? I have no intention of banishing her to the yard. She spends nearly all of the time that we are home and awake inside with us.
Back to top Go down
desi
Puppy
Puppy
desi

Male Join date : 2011-10-17

Sleeping Outdoors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Outdoors   Sleeping Outdoors EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 8:39 am

if its the first time she has messed in her crate - and it was due to an upset tummy - then surely you do not need to banish her to sleeping outside. She had an accident! They happen occassionally. I would hate to be in your position - give her another chance - its cold out and she needs her mommy!
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

Sleeping Outdoors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Outdoors   Sleeping Outdoors EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 12:00 pm

I agree with everyone on trying to keep her inside, but let's not forget she's a husky with two insulating coats on at all times. She was bred to withstand cold climates. I knew one that slept outside in the middle of Idaho winters it's whole life and did just fine. It would wake up with snow on it, shake it off, and be ready to go. In central California she should be just fine. She'll probably be more comfortable now outside than she was in the summer heat.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Sleeping Outdoors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Outdoors   Sleeping Outdoors EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 12:36 pm

So the only reason that you're thinking that she needs to sleep outside is because she pooped in her crate? Other than this incident does she behave in her crate at night? Seems to me like your bf is the one pushing the issue for her to sleep outside, right? If so, then he's just using the one time poop issue as an excuse. Sorry, don't mean to bash him. I take the dogs side all the time with my hubby Smile I personally wouldn't let her sleep outside. No matter what. If she's inside when you're home then I don't see the need for to sleep outside. Huskies love being near their pack and she might get depressed Sad
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Sleeping Outdoors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Outdoors   Sleeping Outdoors EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 12:42 pm

I agree with Riley- she's undoubtably capable of sleeping comfortably outdoors especially in that weather.

that being said I'd never have my dogs sleep outside, that's just not how it works here. Then again its so freaking hot here theyd probably overheat and get sick if i did lol I don't understand the issue though, is it because she had an accident in her crate?

If you are going to have her sleep outside I'd just make sure the fence was secure and that you can't really see into the yard or it's at least locked. People do steal dogs right out of yards. My dogs enjoy the dogloos that we have at work.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

Sleeping Outdoors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Outdoors   Sleeping Outdoors EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 12:45 pm

I agree totally with all the advice. Sounds like the BF has an issue with dogs being inside and using the incident as an excuse. Something else to consider is she may have a desire to roam / escape if left outside at night and spooked. Also disturbing the neighbors could be an issue. And then there are thieves, etc....
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

Sleeping Outdoors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Outdoors   Sleeping Outdoors EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 12:46 pm

arooroomom wrote:
If you are going to have her sleep outside I'd just make sure the fence was secure and that you can't really see into the yard or it's at least locked. People do steal dogs right out of yards. My dogs enjoy the dogloos that we have at work.

lol! Posted at the same time with the same thoughts.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Sleeping Outdoors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Outdoors   Sleeping Outdoors EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 8:48 pm

Put a sleeping bag out back for the B/F......... problem solved.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

Sleeping Outdoors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Outdoors   Sleeping Outdoors EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Here4thePics wrote:

Hear hear!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Sleeping Outdoors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Outdoors   Sleeping Outdoors EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 8:53 pm

rileyflorence wrote:
Here4thePics wrote:

Hear hear!

Razz Len you always crack me up. You must be a really funny guy in person! LOL!!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Sleeping Outdoors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Outdoors   Sleeping Outdoors EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 9:17 pm

MelissaI wrote:
rileyflorence wrote:
Here4thePics wrote:

Hear hear!

Razz Len you always crack me up. You must be a really funny guy in person! LOL!!

Not really most people think I'm as dull as a cheap Chinese made kitchen knife. My advantage here is the fact that I "hear" everything I read, which is more then I can do face to face.
Back to top Go down
4BangenRange
Puppy
Puppy
4BangenRange

Male Join date : 2011-10-09

Sleeping Outdoors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Outdoors   Sleeping Outdoors EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 12:01 am

When i got Josie she came with a small homemade dog house made out of plywood and some 2x4s. The floor of the dog house had carpet in it. I think theres plans to build one acording to your dogs size on the internet. (we got rid of that one and got one of those iglue type dog houses :/. Josie dosent like it lol.) She seemd to love that homemade one tho. But for sleeping in the cold. Last year one winter night we let her out to go to the bathroom before bed and look to find out shes in her dog house and wont come inside at all. Bribing her with treats, pulling on her leash, everything she wouldnt come in. So just thought she wanted to stay outside that night. So just left her alone. From about 10pm till 6am she stay out there. Got to about 15-20 below 0 that night to. She didnt move all night. I was up ever 30 minutes to an hour tho to see if she wanted to come in at all. And nope just wanted to stay outside all night. That was the only time while I had her that she slept outside at night. (have had her for about 13 months now) I might build Josie a new dog house sence she seems to not like that iglue one. Even tho she only slept outside that one time lol. If comes down to it where your bf is gonna make your dog sleep outside. I could find the plans for you then you can give him those and say once you build this then shell sleep outside. (hoping he has no wood working skills) lol
Back to top Go down
Tccgold
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2011-10-17

Sleeping Outdoors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Outdoors   Sleeping Outdoors EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 6:01 pm

Here are a couple plans I came across when I was looking to build one:

http://lowescreativeideas.com/idea-library/projects/Dog_House_0408.aspx
http://wayneofthewoods.com/doghouse.html
http://rivervalleyhusky.com/5036.html

I ended up combining all of the design into one doghouse that shows how truly spoiled my pups are.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Piper
Puppy
Puppy
Piper

Sleeping Outdoors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Outdoors   Sleeping Outdoors EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 9:30 pm

A well insulated dog house packed with straw or hay will do her just fine.
She's a husky, they were bred for the cold and I wouldn't worry about her since you live in California. Siberians in Alaska can withstand temperatures as low as -50 F. Wink
She may be more comfortable outside anyway now that the temps are cooler. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.smallmightyracing.weebly.com
Sponsored content

Sleeping Outdoors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Outdoors   Sleeping Outdoors Empty

Back to top Go down

Sleeping Outdoors

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Miscellaneous Questions-