It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Rodeos problems

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 4:41 pm

So I got Rodeo from animal control in September. He was born on 4/10/11 and was purchased at a Petland before ending up at animal control. He was a little disproportionate but otherwise appeared healthy.

On the day before Thanksgiving he came to work with me like he always does and was there all day. There were a lot of dogs there that day. We got home everything seemed fine. The next day he seemed so wiped out. I figured it was from the big day with all those dogs. That week he was kind of not with it. Some crate rest and he seemed to be better.

Then he seemed to go back to being out of it again. Very tired and just unusual behavior for him. Put him on some liver and he perked up.

Then he began to show signs of pain while waking, it got to the point where he wcouldnt make it around 2 blocks. Again it got better. Finally the vet said to come in and he looked him over. He didn't think anything was seriously wrong with I'm, I brought up meningitis and pano he said neither. perceived a weeks work of meta am (liquid NSAID) and rest. Seemed to help. I came back from CO and he was a mess, but he was left in my dads care who doesn't watch them like I do.

Continued the meta am for a few more days but he no longer seemed to be in pain. Then about 2 nights ago I heard him screaming so I ran out of the bedroom ready to kick some serious Husky ass. He was in the middle of the kitchen just screaming in pain, the others looking at him terrified. Checked him over, found nothing. He was totally normal within a minute of the episode.

A few hours later I'm in the kitchen with him again and Im rubbing him, his right elbow is huge and swollen with fluid. No pain when palpated. Figuring it didn't warrant an emergency vet trip I opted to wait until morning. That morning I came and let him out to find that his swelling had gone down. While feeding him I noticed that there was some red fluid on the floor next to his arm. I look up and he's got a hole in that same swollen elbow, fluid draining out. Flushed it out and cleaned it up. No pain. Already had an appointment for Saturday since I was stuck working the day before and this day.

Had another 2 screaming fits that day at work, once at the front desk when I wasn't there (my big boss was) and then later that day while I put him out with the dogs to use the bathroom.

At the vet this morning I told them all of this and they were just as confused as I. Manipulated his neck and head with no signs of pain. Basic exam checked out fine except for his coat condition which was very dry and flakey as well as he's shedding a LOT.

They did a snap test for tick borne diseases which came back negative, drew blood for a CBC, chem profile, electrolytes, and then a urine sample. They think if nothing shows up for this they'll need to X-ray and possibly send me to a neurologist Sad

Any ideas anyone? He's been put on raw with the others just a few days ago to help and he was recently wormed.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 5:04 pm

Sorry to hear about this. I don't have any ideas, but it does sound like there is something going on with his elbow. I hope the vet can solve the problem soon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 5:11 pm

oh man poor baby Sad i'm sorry to hear this! shame on pet stores...UGH!
Back to top Go down
toyszruskid
Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 5:16 pm

Don't think I'll be much help here. Do you think he's having seizures? My parents dog passed away 2 years ago and she started having them more frequently towards the end. She would randomly scream and it was the most horrific sound I've ever heard. It was all involuntary, she had no idea she was even making noise.

The sac on his elbow almost sounds like a hygroma but those are usually painless unless they become infected.

I hope the tests come back with something concrete. It must be horrible not knowing what's wrong with him. Poor Rodeo, I'll be praying for his speedy recovery.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 6:06 pm

I was thinking siezure but he doesn't tense up at all it's just like he pinched a nerve or something. No eye rolling. His eyes do dialate though... We should know more Monday.

Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 6:41 pm

Poor Rodeo! Those are really weird symptoms. Hope the vet can figure it out!

Rodeos problems Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 6:53 pm

If you even suspect pinched nerve consider a dog chiropractor.

http://www.avcadoctors.com/

http://www.avcadoctors.com/avcadus.htm

Good luck with Rodeo.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Sad
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 10:15 pm

poor rodeo Sad really strange, hope you figure it out soon
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Blood work is back as well as everything else. Lower than normal hematocrit and elevated Eosinophils are the only unusual bits. Everything else is perfectly normal. Going to send in a fecal sample as well as start him on a low dose of Prednisone for 2 weeks. My poor babe.

Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 6:22 pm

oh, poor Rodeo!
I hope he feels better soon!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 6:52 pm

Kristina, im just reading this for the first time, i sure hope you can figure out what is wrong with him, the screaming would have killed me. hope he gets better

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 7:06 pm

That really sucks!! He's such a cute and sweet boy Sad I hope that you and the vet get this figured out before the camping trip. I wouldn't want him to be in pain or you stressing. Poor baby
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 1:28 pm

Ok well we're almost a week into the raw for him and I just want to smack the literal shit out of myself for not having him on raw since the beginning. He is looking a lot better and seems more alert as of the last few days.

Started him on Prednisone last night and he is a lot better this morning. Dug out the big crate from the garage and he's resting in it now. 6-8 weeks is going to be hard but I just cannot do the neurologist thing. At least not now.

Also started him on a B vitamin that I take daily and I think that's helping too.

I have a copy of his blood work and urinalysis that I'll scan later when I get home from work.

Unfortunately I don't think he can come camping Sad

Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 3:20 pm

Awwww...OMG why did the picture of you driving to camp with 6 dogs not cross my mind until now! You're sure a crazy dog mommy! How many are you going to bring?

Rodeos problems Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 4:14 pm

Awww poor Rodeo!!! He's going to wonder why he got left behind Sad It's for his own good though. I hope he gets better soon Sad
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 4:15 pm

SaraB wrote:
OMG why did the picture of you driving to camp with 6 dogs not cross my mind until now! You're sure a crazy dog mommy! How many are you going to bring?

lol! That's the first thing I thought of. Haha!!! I'm telling you, Kristina has super husky powers!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 4:40 pm

LOL Just Mickey, Cheyenne, Mishka, and Odin. Seamus can't come because he's bonkers on a leash and off-leash isn't an option for this place. Also, he doesn't like the cold. lol!

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 10:01 pm

So here we are 2weeks into prednisone and no change really. With the prednisone he's practically 100% but we tried splitting the dosage to once every other day and he went back to how he was initially. Totally down hill... Really upsetting... His coat is still as gross as before and he's still struggling to put weight on.

I've been researching so much and I think I may have found something it could be... Eosinophilic gastroenteritis. Symptoms kinda match and I just can't see how this is a neurological issue yet he loos how he does with the best food being provided... I switched his food to the premade patties (Natures Variety Venison) and he has his first meal of that this morning. I came home from work just a few minutes ago and took him out to potty. He dragged me around the block and has looked the most alert ttonight than he has in a few weeks. maybe it's just a coincidence but I'm go,ing to be keeping a super close eye on him. He has a recheck at the vet tomorrow... Let's see if he's gained weight.

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 11:10 pm

I hope that the patties are helping!!! Let us know what the vet says tomorrow. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 12:44 pm

Well vet visit was uneventful. She of course doesn't want me to feed raw to Rodeo and wants me to put him on Hills (gag)

He's doing amazing this morning. Didn't cry getting into the truck nor when she was looking him over. He sits down a lot and she was trying to listen to his chest so she had to scoop him back up by his underside and he didn't make a sound. He was very active and alert and went for a nice walk around the block when we got home. His stool was perfect earlier today which is good since he hasn't had venison before and I just threw him right on it yesterday.

I think we're going to give it 2 weeks and see if he continues to improve with the venison...

Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 1:30 pm

Fingers crossed for Rodeo! This is another example of why I believe things are meant to be. If poor Rodeo had not gotten away from his original owner, you can bet he wouldn't have taken the time, care or money to help him when he started having these issues, based off what you told us about him Kristina. Rodeo is very lucky you found him.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 7:13 pm

We are continuing to see progress! Today is his 6th day on Venison and I believe we're going to try and cut back the prednisone in a few days and see if he regresses again. His coat has become much more softer (than compared to before, which was very dry and scaly feeling) and his eyes seem brighter. Whenever I take him out to potty (as he's still on crate rest) he has the zoomies around me... something he also hasn't done in quite some time.

Question though... This is what he's currently eating: http://www.naturesvariety.com/InstinctRaw/dog/venison

He eats (2) 8oz patties a day but he's still looking a little thin... I don't want to overload him but I don't want to underfeed him either... Suggestions? I think it comes out to about 1040 calories a day.

Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 9:54 pm

Yay for Rodeo! That's so awesome!!! I hope he continues to improve - he's got a great mommy! Smile

I can't remember if you said he'd been tested for a zinc deficiency... We've started supplementing the kids with ZInpro tablets because of Chili's rashes.

BTW, in case you ever need it and are interested - this is a holistic nutritionist who works with a vet that we'll try if his rash comes back - http://www.askariel.com/
She does phone consultations and seems very highly regarded by one of the local husky rescues here - she has a husky herself!
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 11:07 pm

arooroomom wrote:

Question though... This is what he's currently eating: http://www.naturesvariety.com/InstinctRaw/dog/venison

He eats (2) 8oz patties a day but he's still looking a little thin... I don't want to overload him but I don't want to underfeed him either... Suggestions? I think it comes out to about 1040 calories a day.

Use to feed Natures Variety daily to Luka when we were first switching over to raw. Luka also did two 8oz patties daily during the summer months. This amount would maintain her weight (about 43lbs) for that time of year. However in the fall/winter when we were training or racing, she would have to eat 24 to 32oz to maintain weight. If he is looking thin, I would up the amount. You could always try to cut back once he reaches his ideal weight. The patties break apart nice if you break them when they are in that not frozen but not totally thawed state.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rodeos problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rodeos problems   Rodeos problems Empty

Back to top Go down

Rodeos problems

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next