It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Skijoring for the first time!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

time - Skijoring for the first time! Empty
PostSubject: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 7:12 pm

So Claudia and I have been talking about taking some X-country ski lessons so we could try skijoring with the huskies. well we skipped the lessons and just decided to drive up to Breckenridge and try it out on our own with JD (her hubby) and the dogs!!!! we rented our gear and paid the trail pass and drove up to the one trail that the dogs were aloud on. i think it was just after 11:30 or so that we got started. Claudia went out on her own to test it out and i just went for it with the dogs on the first try, hell i skied for like 12yrs how hard could it be..... lol! yeah i found out real fast how different it was! my right glut and hamstring still hurt from the falls. but by the end of our 2hrs (seemed longer) we were sore and hot but almost getting the hang of it. we will try the lessons and no dogs next time. ok on to the fun part, pics and video!!
time - Skijoring for the first time! PC270193
this was my first trip into the mountains this winter and was sad to see so little snow, it was reported later in the week that we are way below average for our snow pack this year and that means a dry summer Sad

time - Skijoring for the first time! PC280213
Claudia working on her balance

time - Skijoring for the first time! PC280194
S&J were ready to go

time - Skijoring for the first time! PC280196
a few old buildings.

time - Skijoring for the first time! PC280197
i think thats JD and storm

time - Skijoring for the first time! PC280205

time - Skijoring for the first time! PC280199
Claudia and Ginger and JD

time - Skijoring for the first time! PC280202
Storm was having fun

time - Skijoring for the first time! PC280201
S&J waiting as we figure out where we are

time - Skijoring for the first time! PC280198
Claudia is down!

time - Skijoring for the first time! PC280211
Me at the end of the run.

and our videos

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 7:50 pm

How fun! You won't ever find me braving it like that! Lol I can't wait to see the videos when we get back from vacay.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 8:05 pm

Those are awesome pics and videos, Jenn!
It was fun! But I would think we would've had a lot more fun if we actually knew how to x-country ski decent! - At least for me since I'm the NON-skier!

I fell on my a$$ starting at the gas station, so I had a bruise by the time I was done for the day!

X-Country ski lesson before the next skijoring adventure must be had by me....I can ski a little, but this was nothing like getting down a ski run on alpine skis!!

Fun, fun!

So, when can we take that lesson?? Smile
I wanna skijor again! bounce

Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 8:07 pm

Looks like a lot of fun was had by all! Somehow, I have a feeling I'd be faceplanted in a tree if I tried that with D&D... lol Shocked
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 8:21 pm

Claudia, i got boots at the REI garage sale for $30!!!!! i am all set with boots, skis and polls! lets do that lesson! i think we would all be better after learning some basic stuff. still wondering if ken even wants to try after seeing the videos Razz

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 9:19 pm

let me know when you wanna do a lesson - do you want a private with just us? or the regular group lesson?

Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 10:02 pm

Great pics and videos! Looks like you guys had fun. They all run at such a nice pace! Not to fast and not too slow, perfect for nice recreational skijoring! Very Happy
I got to skijor for the first time this year today, but it wasn't that great because I forgot to bring my ski boots, so I had to borrow some really old skis and boots from a friend. They were not the right size so I feel like I wasn't able to help the dogs at all. Mad In addition to that, both the girls and I are out of shape! I can't believe we were able to actually race and finish just last year! They ran at a full out sprint for the first mile, but then got distracted and kept changing the pace, probably because pulling me was like pulling dead weight at that point! We usually push for continuous sprint, but after watching your videos, I think I may focus on training them for a slower speed since I no longer race. Trail was bad too, not much snow at all. I was so hopful there would be a ton of snow, but its not much better than Illinois right now.
I would definitly reccomend doing some lessons without the dogs. It will really help with your balance and speed. If you want to go faster, or farther distances, work on skate sking too. Skate sking really helps out the dogs because you are pusing yourself forward faster than traditional x-country, allowing the dogs to pull a little less weight.
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 11:59 pm

It does look like fun. Very Happy I can just see me face planting and the dogs dragging me along for a mile or two. I don't think I'm brave enough. lol
Back to top Go down
4BangenRange
Puppy
Puppy
4BangenRange

Male Join date : 2011-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 12:45 am

Ahh I'm so jealous! Over here in WI we got low snow amounts to well at least compared to last year. And I bought skis right after our first snow here and tried it out but really wasnt enuff snow and have been waiting for more to fall but its not happening. Just snows about an inch or so. Melts, green grass, then snows a inch again, and melts, etc.... lol. Looks like a really fun time and a really nice place to go.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 1:42 am

Awesome! That looks like so much fun. Not sure if I would dare try it, I would probably just keep falling over!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 2:00 am

Ghost wrote:
I would probably just keep falling over!

That was us at the start but then we got the hang of it. I think the dogs could tell we were not sure! S&J were walking on the up hill but the min it flattened out or went down hill it was full speed ahead.

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 9:51 am

Looks like fun but makes me kind of re-think skatejoring. Concrete, harder than snow, wheels faster than skis, parked cars, curbs, stray cats......hmmmmm. Maybe I'll stick to Canicross and stay out of the hospital.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 11:07 am

jbealer wrote:
That was us at the start but then we got the hang of it. I think the dogs could tell we were not sure! S&J were walking on the up hill but the min it flattened out or went down hill it was full speed ahead.
I had Storm with me, and we've only had him since April 2010, so he's just starting out with all this adventure, but other than the occasional sniff off the side of the trail, he seems to know his commands, know to stay on trail, know when to pull, when to walk and when to stop without me saying anything. The faster I went, the faster he went but as soon as I said 'whoa', and I slowed down, he'd immediately slow down too. When I said 'hike' he started to pull a little, but not too hard. I'm so proud of my boy!

I think they just kinda know what to do!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 4:05 pm

So im just going back to this thread to add to it, our winter sucked last yr and we never got back out, i was dead set on getting back out this yr!!!
over my winter break i found a deal for a 1hr X-country ski lesson and bought it. i took the pups up to the mountain on the day after Christmas, left them in the car while i took my lesson and then we drove up to Breck where i could ski with the dogs. i did not take any pictures really but i did do some video. it went much better this time around and i only fell a few times. i went to put on S&J's Xbacks only to find they did not fit any more :(so i used the ruffwear harness from their packs and they worked fine.
ok on to some video.
first things first, here is Jack, stuck in traffic on our way up there!!!

we practice our commands on our daily walks and it really helps keep it fresh for them

Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 4:21 pm

I just sent the video of Jack talking in the car stuck in traffic to everyone I know. So good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

Female Join date : 2014-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 4:59 pm

That video in the traffic - I know it sucks, buddeeeyy.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 11:35 pm

For anyone starting out or just wanting to brush up on there cross-country ski skills I highly recommend the following book.  It's a great read with tons of information and well explained both in the writing and the photographs.  It's available at REI.

time - Skijoring for the first time! Xski11
Back to top Go down
Polar
Puppy
Puppy
Polar

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyFri May 16, 2014 3:08 pm

How is that trail in Breck? Is it pretty flat all the way, or does it have ups and downs? I think I can do flat trail with Polar on a snowboard, but if it has any ups and downs, then I won't be able to unless I learn how to XC ski...
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyFri May 16, 2014 3:50 pm

you need skis, i wanted to do the loop but somehow ended up going UP the whole way until we looped back down and got to really "ski". i did not take the same trail i thought we took the first time we went out.

check out coney flats, you should be able to board that if not to many people around, it has small ups that just taking the back foot out and pushing would not be so bad.

Last edited by jbealer on Fri May 16, 2014 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! EmptyFri May 16, 2014 4:00 pm

It's a little late in the year to start skijoring, but for next year I highly recommend this book.
It's available on Amazon.

time - Skijoring for the first time! Unknow11
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring for the first time!   time - Skijoring for the first time! Empty

Back to top Go down

Skijoring for the first time!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1