A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Kohdi, Mishka, and Jimmy!, our September HOTM winners! HOTM - October : TBA!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Kohdi, Mishka, and Jimmy,
our September HOTM Winners!
It's A Husky Thing!





Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our August Rescue is:

North Star Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys


Share | .
 

 Glory's "rash"?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
avatar

Female Join date : 2009-06-23
Location : Huntsville, AL

PostSubject: Glory's "rash"?   Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Folks, I thought I'd post this here in addition to a Chihuahua forum just to get more exposure/thoughts on this. We've had Glory since March 2010, so just under two years now and she just turned 5 yrs old this past December. Since we adopted her she's had some sort of rash/breakout like what you can see in the picture below:



She doesn't have fleas and she doesn't have flea allergy dermatitis. This is the third time she's developed this rash since we've had her. The first time was during the summer of 2010, the second time during the summer of 2011. Each time she gets it, it seems to irritate her quite a bit. She bites and picks at it constantly if you let her to the point that she bleeds. Each time this has popped up I bathe her in Bio-Groom Natural Oatmeal anti-itch soothing shampoo and also apply 1% hydrocortisone to the affected area anywhere from 1-3 times a day (as needed). I also put a sweater on her to deter her from bothering the site. Each time her skin clears up within a week and she's back to normal.

She's already healing from this lastest rash but I thought I'd post and see if anyone's seen or experienced this before and might have a clue as to what it is? I've made an appointment for all 3 of my dogs to see my old holistic vet in FL in a couple weeks. While I'm there I'm getting a second opinion on Faith's lump in her mammary area, Glory's knees reevaluated, and I'll show her the picture of Glory's rash and ask her thoughts on it. In the meantime, any ideas?

_________________
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
avatar

Male Join date : 2010-09-22
Location : Moore, OK

PostSubject: Re: Glory's "rash"?   Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:11 pm

My BC Maggie used to get these and the holistic vet put her on a detox oral solution. It got worse before it got better but cleared up. In conjunction he had me switch to a very limited ingredient kibble, California Natural. It's wasn't the Orijen Senior quality but had far fewer ingredients.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
hypers987
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-25
Location : Santa Cruz, California

PostSubject: Re: Glory's "rash"?   Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:14 pm

Looks like a reaction to something. I hope your vet can figure out what!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
avatar

Female Join date : 2010-10-12
Location : Denver, CO

PostSubject: Re: Glory's "rash"?   Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:19 pm

The first 2 times were in the summer, but this time it's in the winter, however, I think we've all been saying that it's been warm for it being winter.

The first 2 times she got it, was it early summer when the weather was transitioning between spring and summer - when it was warming up?

Just trying to find a common factor....maybe that info ca help your vet figure out the onset of this irritation...

_________________
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
avatar

Female Join date : 2009-06-23
Location : Huntsville, AL

PostSubject: Re: Glory's "rash"?   Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
My BC Maggie used to get these and the holistic vet put her on a detox oral solution. It got worse before it got better but cleared up. In conjunction he had me switch to a very limited ingredient kibble, California Natural. It's wasn't the Orijen Senior quality but had far fewer ingredients.

Did your vet say what Maggie had? I'd like to know more about the oral solution...what was it treating exactly?

As far as diet, our Glory is constantly eating new things as I rotate their diets very frequently. I couldn't tell you with absolute certainty what she was eating the first two times this happened. But I'm pretty sure in the summer of 2010 she was on The Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw with some type of kibble and summer 2011 she was on THK 4 days a week and raw 3 days a week. She's currently on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck kibble with Fresh Pet Select refrigerated turkey rolled 'wet' food. All along she's been eating a good diet though.

hypers987 wrote:
Looks like a reaction to something. I hope your vet can figure out what!

I do too!

cmanding wrote:
The first 2 times were in the summer, but this time it's in the winter, however, I think we've all been saying that it's been warm for it being winter.

The first 2 times she got it, was it early summer when the weather was transitioning between spring and summer - when it was warming up?

Just trying to find a common factor....maybe that info ca help your vet figure out the onset of this irritation...

That's what has me perplexed is that this happened in winter this time around. But yes, it has been a warmer than normal winter here. It's not hot or anything, just warmer than normal. Our averages for the past week or two have been lows in 40's and 50's and highs in the 60's. Both times she got this rash in the summer was around the June/July timeframe so definitely mid-summer for this area and not during a seasonal change.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
avatar

Male Join date : 2010-09-22
Location : Moore, OK

PostSubject: Re: Glory's "rash"?   Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:09 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Lordbroll wrote:
My BC Maggie used to get these and the holistic vet put her on a detox oral solution. It got worse before it got better but cleared up. In conjunction he had me switch to a very limited ingredient kibble, California Natural. It's wasn't the Orijen Senior quality but had far fewer ingredients.

Did your vet say what Maggie had? I'd like to know more about the oral solution...what was it treating exactly?

As far as diet, our Glory is constantly eating new things as I rotate their diets very frequently. I couldn't tell you with absolute certainty what she was eating the first two times this happened. But I'm pretty sure in the summer of 2010 she was on The Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw with some type of kibble and summer 2011 she was on THK 4 days a week and raw 3 days a week. She's currently on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck kibble with Fresh Pet Select refrigerated turkey rolled 'wet' food. All along she's been eating a good diet though.


He diagnosed it as either food or contact allergy. He really suspected food since she was in early stage kidney failure. It happened mainly in spring and summer the last two years so I still lean to allergies and thinner coat of old age. The oral mix had pulsatilla, ubichinon and solidago plus other ingredients for her other ailments. I hated trying two things at once so not sure which helped. She had so many other more pressing health concerns but at least it cleared up.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
avatar

Female Join date : 2009-06-23
Location : Huntsville, AL

PostSubject: Re: Glory's "rash"?   Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks Brian, I'll look into that out of curiosity. And I'll still see what my old holistic vet thinks when I take Glory in a couple weeks.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
avatar

Female Join date : 2009-06-23
Location : Huntsville, AL

PostSubject: Re: Glory's "rash"?   Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:16 pm

My holistic vet says she has seborrhea and dermatitis. She has both the dry and oily seborrhea and is now on a special (and might I add EXPENSIVE) shampoo to manage it. The seborrhea along with her allergies are also leading to her dermatitis and bacterial infections on her skin.

Due to the vastly different and numerous different diets we've tried with her we are thinking that her allergies are most likely not food related but environmental. In addition to the special shampoo, she gave us 3 different holistic supplements to give Glory daily. Two supplements for improving her coat condition given once a day and another supplement for environmental allergies to be given twice a day. And of course she will need baths at least once a week or more from now on.

So all this on top of her color dilution alopecia (CDA) is making me want to pull my own hair out. For those unaware, CDA is hairloss caused by dilute color genes. CDA commonly affects blue dogs because blue is a dilution of the color black. A good chi breeder will not breed two blue dogs together because of the risk of CDA. However Glory's horrible original BYB owner irresponsibly bred Faith, a blue tricolor, with a male blue merle, and Glory gets to suffer the consequences of that irresponsibility. I know I'm preaching to the choir here but it's just a perfect illustration of how BYB can have so many consequences and they're not worth supporting at all. Not only does Glory have to live with her problems but her owners have to spend tons of money trying to manage them. Anyone thinking of buying from a BYB, please tell them to talk to me about Glory! No

_________________
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Glory's "rash"?   

Back to top Go down
 

Glory's "rash"?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

-
» Rash or over-zealous pet owner?
» rash thing...
» Rash on Belly - Updated 11/11
» funny rash/small lumps
» Husky is developing Rash in groin Area pictures

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Medical Issues-