It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyFri May 11, 2012 4:42 pm

The prong has been my life saver for Kya's training, and I use a choke on Rio because she doesn't seem to mind the prong. I wouldn't advise the choke though, because I am ALWAYS having to stop and untangle it from her hair. I just ordered a head halter too, so hopefully I can get away from the choke.

Back to top Go down
sofi.mitchell
Newborn
Newborn
sofi.mitchell

Female Join date : 2012-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyFri May 11, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks so much for the help everyone. I've stopped carrying treats with me since we got over the potty training hump but I didn't even think to use them to help with his pulling which has been an up and down battle with us from day one. We got him at 8 weeks and he's now about 3months and has gotten to the point where he's big enough to leave bruises on my wrist and hand when we go on walks. The stop and turn method doesn't exactly work too well on Balto. He thinks its a game when we do it and he'll start trying to run in a circle while barking while I try to hold him down. I'll see how well he does if I have treats that he can follow instead of him following every squirrel and bird in the neighborhood. I'll wait a few more months before trying the colar on him again then and just keep working with him with positive reinforcements.
I really appreciate how helpful you have all been.
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

Female Join date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 22, 2012 1:44 pm

i use choke collars on both my pups, i dont think them inhumane or whatever people call it these days. they are for a quick correction and if the dog pulls while its on, clearly its not harming them that much. they respond well and dont pull, the chain is always relaxed with my dogs either walking a little behind me or right next to me. also, try walking your pup on pavrmrnt instead of grass and only allow him or her on the grass to go potty.
Back to top Go down
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

Female Join date : 2012-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 9:04 pm

I just ordered one today.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006L0UGW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 12:26 pm

So I am thinking of trying the prong collar for both of my boys. Not so much for myself, because I can handle them but I'm thinking just for the future like if I ever have to have a dog walker or have someone watch them while I go out of town, I want to make sure that they have better leash manners then they do right now. I've done the gentle leaders and they don't work so on to the next!

Where is the best place to go get them fitted for a prong collar? I want to make sure everything is set right before we do any training. We had tried choke collar training with an actual trainer but I just wasn't comfertable with it and we stopped going to her after like the first hour. I am confident that I can take everything that she has tought me to make sure that I am training it right and not hurting them, but I am mostly worried about the propper fit. Any suggestions?

Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 12:39 pm

I use one for Diz and I didn't get it fitted by anyone, but honestly with a little common sense you can figure it out yourself. It sits higher on his neck, closer to his ears than his regular collar. It's kind of like a martingale in a way, in that the chain you hook the leash too goes through two loops on either side attached to the prog section. Too loose would be if you pull on the d-ring the leash attaches to and the loops on either side touch without fully tightening around his neck. Too tight would be that there is tension on the d-ring/chain section the leash attaches to when the dog is not pulling. I think when I originally got mine it was 22" and I had to remove about 5 links. I recently added two back in since he's a growing boy. The prong is a correction collar, so essentially when he pulls and it tightens he's getting a correction. If it's too tight, he will be constantly receiving corrections and will just be confusing. If it's too loose, the prongs won't pinch together properly and won't give a correction, it will just feel like he's walking against a bed of nails.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 12:48 pm

okay thanks. As I was reading some answers it made me nervous that I wouldn't be able to fit it correctly, and I don't want it to be painful for him. But everything you are saying is making sense! I thought I saw some where and now I can't find it, but what is the really durable prong collar called? I do not want to be worried about a cheap one breaking!

Plus this will help with other dogs too! Nikolai has always been super aggressive sounding at other passing dogs, and Siku has now picked it up. So I currently have two dogs that look like they want to kill every passing dog and its getting slightly embarrasing.

I might also try what Kristina said as far as only using that as the correction and hook it to something else.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 12:54 pm

I'm not sure what brand I have, but with my other husky I had one that would sometimes come apart while walking if she twisted around and pulled one of her copyrighted collar slip moves. With Diz, I just have a carabeaner that I attach the chain part of the prong to his reg collar, but he's never tried that, and I've never had an issue with his. It doesn't get in the way, but adds security just in case the collar fails. I've never had one break, but they can unfasten. Diz wants to play with every dog he sees, and had a really fierce sounding play growl, so people think he's a psycho too, so I feel your embarrassment lol.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 1:00 pm

This helped me with getting the fit right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3xxSBxVikc

Now Mishka has a ton of fur so getting his on him properly was really really hard. If you have shorter coated dogs, it's a little easier.

siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 1:06 pm

yeah, its always like 20 feet in advance, I'm like they sound mean but they are just puppies and get very excited. I feel like I'm going to say that no matter how old they are just as an excuse. I said that to someone yesterday while we were skiing and she was like oh how old (he was getting ready to what sounded like eat her lab alive), and I was like yeah he is 8 months and just learning. lol!. She was pretty understanding after that!

Nice, I'll try the carabiner for that as well. I always have something to connect to his flat collar even on harnesses. I have like a bunch of the double necklines so I connect those to something.

And thanks Ashleigh. That will help a lot. I'm going to order two right now.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 1:28 pm

I swear by my prong collar - i am small 62 year old woman who adopted 60 pound year old male from a shelter - no training. They had him fitted to a herm sprenger prong collar with a side release buckle so that volunteers could walk him. I tried him on regular collar and was almost impossible - even planting my total body weight and using all my strength would not stop him sometimes - and we won't even begin to talk about my shoulder!

If you get one, get the one with the side release buckle - I bought one at Tractor Supply and my arthritic fingers could not manage unlatching the prongs at the kitchen table let alone on exuberant puppy. The shelter then let me keep his collar they had sized for him. I have since located a website that has the same side buckle and it works beautifully. The prongs sometimes get tangled in his fur but he is patient with me because I am very gently in untangling it (dog seems to understand I am old lady Very Happy )

Here's link: http://www.leashesbydesign.com/ProngCollars/ProngCollars.html

If you do search use herm sprenger prong collar with side release buckle - there are some held on with nylon webbing, I don't know about that buckle but this stainless steel buckle works great - I used it multiple times a day for almost 3 mo. now - taking it on and off for walks, change of tether, crating, into out of car you name it. Buckle still going strong. And dog is a pleasure to walk!
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 1:51 pm

siku&nikolai wrote:
Nice, I'll try the carabiner for that as well. I always have something to connect to his flat collar even on harnesses. I have like a bunch of the double necklines so I connect those to something.

And thanks Ashleigh. That will help a lot. I'm going to order two right now.

No prob! I also hook a carabiner to the o ring on my prong to the d ring on his regular collar just as a safety precaution. I use carabiners on everything. Lol.

amymeme wrote:
If you get one, get the one with the side release buckle - I bought one at Tractor Supply and my arthritic fingers could not manage unlatching the prongs at the kitchen table let alone on exuberant puppy.  The shelter then let me keep his collar they had sized for him.  I have since located a website that has the same side buckle and it works beautifully.   The prongs sometimes get tangled in his fur but he is patient with me because I am very gently in untangling it (dog seems to understand I am old lady Very Happy )

Here's link:  http://www.leashesbydesign.com/ProngCollars/ProngCollars.html

If you do search use herm sprenger prong collar with side release buckle - there are some held on with nylon webbing, I don't know about that buckle but this stainless steel buckle works great - I used it multiple times a day for almost 3 mo. now - taking it on and off for walks, change of tether, crating, into out of car you name it.  Buckle still going strong.  And dog is a pleasure to walk!
Thanks for posting about that one! I definitely will be buying one of those. I have the hardest time putting Mishka's on because of his fur and it's not as high/fitted as it should be because it's impossible for me to latch it with his fur.

mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 1:58 pm

Have you considered a nylon choke? On all of three of mine it has worked. Smile I have trained all three as I would for the show ring, because it requires a level of control over the dog that normal walks don't necessarily. My dogs know I mean business when the nylon chokes are on!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 2:24 pm

I second the suggestion of a nylon choke.

In my experience they don't break as easily as chain if the dog makes a sudden lunge. Plus they tend to stay in the proper position better.
Back to top Go down
kattyisis
Newborn
Newborn
kattyisis

Female Join date : 2014-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 12:47 pm

I use a choke collar (not the spiked one) on my 10mo old Loki. Placed right and used properly, it is a great tool. He behaves a lot better. The thing with it is, is it slips down lower on his neck and it is now like a regular collar to where he thinks he can pull. Higher up is where it is supposed to be. I have used them all my life to train and am a big proponent on them if, and only if, you know how to use them properly. If not, you can kill your dog. I have only had one dog that would not have any part of it and choked himself out to almost passing out because he was so stubborn. Took a lot of training with him with other methods and he turned out wonderful and would walk great later on. Good luck!

Heatherann0420 wrote:
Ok so I had to come here because only husky owners would understand. Earlier today I posted a status on fb asking if anybody had a choke collar they no longer use so I could borrow it for Beau. I read forums on here about it, how only when used "PROPERLY" they were effective. I thought I'd give it a shot. APPARENTLY I am now a horrible person because I want to try it out. People are going on about how I must not be doing something right and to use a choke collar on a dog is "horrible." One woman went on about how control harnesses worked "GREAT" for her lab. I'm sorry, but my dog is not a lab. He is a 45 lb beast with ridiculous strength! lol This is what I wrote in response..

"We have tried everything. Regular harnesses make him feel empowered so he pulls harder. We tried training him while walking by offering treats but once he is outside he could care less about food. We got a no-pull harness too. It worked for about a week until he got used to the feeling and continued to pull (he is incredibly strong..). We then got him a gentle leader head collar which causes the dogs head to pull back to the side if he pulls. He got used to that too! It prevented him from pulling for about a week and once again he became used to it to the point that he pulled so hard one time it rubbed his fur clean off around his muzzle. Apparently his sled dog instincts to pull override his need for "comfort". Beau is not even full grown and a mere 45 lbs, and has already gotten to the point where today he literally pulled me off my feet to get to another dog. I always thought choke collars were somewhat cruel but frankly its a matter of whether or not I want my dog pulling himself free and running away (which he would surely do if he had a chance due to his husky independence). I know a few husky owners who recommend the choke collars only if used PROPERLY. Trust me, I didn't like the sound of it either but Beau would run for it and never look back if he got loose. The moment I decided this was this morning when some moron decided to throw out raw chicken in the grass out front our apartment and because I couldn't pull Beau back hard enough, he pulled me until he got to it and ate it. Frozen, raw, bacteria infested chicken."

By all means, please come walk my dog and see for yourself.

So what should I do here? Go ahead with the choke collar and tell people where to shove it? lol XD Or is there some secret trick I've yet to try? Ah that felt good to vent :)Haha, any advice would be fantastic!
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 9:02 pm

I second Amy's comments about the Herm Sprenger prong collar.
The trainer at our puppy class told us about them.
He had experience with big, powerful dogs.

We didn't like the looks of it, perhaps thought it was inhumane.
He had us put it on our own necks and pull.
The curved ends didn't break our skin, but it got our attention.

Initially we had a Petco prong collar that popped open and led to an escape.
On the trainer's rec, we got a Herm Sprenger.
It has not popped open accidentally.
And I made a "fail safe" backup with a carabiner and cordage.

Oh, they have to be sized correctly.
You don't want lots of slack- just loose enough so you can get a finger underneath.
Don't yank.
The dog self corrects when he attempts to bolt or go sideways.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 12:03 pm

I do not agree with prong collars at all. I have a 75 pound malamute that is a working malamute. She can pull like no other. I have taught her to loose leash, so it can be done. I have seen a lot of damage on a dogs neck from prong and chock collars. I like the idea of head halters or easy walk harnesses for short periods of time until the dog is trained. That's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 12:07 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
I do not agree with prong collars at all. I have a 75 pound malamute that is a working malamute. She can pull like no other. I have taught her to loose leash, so it can be done. I have seen a lot of damage on a dogs neck from prong and chock collars. I like the idea of head halters or easy walk harnesses for short periods of time until the dog is trained. That's just my opinion.

Curious - what kind of damage?
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 12:16 pm

I worked at a shelter for 3 years. We had so many dogs come in with puncture marks from prong collars. I think majority of the population does not know how to use them properly. If it works for you great. It is just what I have seen, has turned me off.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 8:33 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
I do not agree with prong collars at all. I have a 75 pound malamute that is a working malamute. She can pull like no other. I have taught her to loose leash.

Just also had to chime in, this is also my opinion. I am definitely not going to tell anyone what tool they can use/can't use. That's not for me to say. But I'd rather not have people question /my/ opinion against it. I personally will never use a prong collar, as I see no reason to, plain and simple. I have complete control over my dogs on walks, walking all three myself, without needing to use one. I do not get dragged down the street, our walks are actually quite pleasant. They all pull JUST enough to keep the line without any slack, but that is how I've trained them as personally having them walk loose leash annoys the heck out of me when I trip over a line, especially with three dogs. I use a front-clip freedom harness ONLY for that moment of 'squirrel!' and thats not for me, thats for the dogs so they don't damage their trachea if they suddenly lunge. I prioritize my dogs comfort and with training do not have to sacrifice my comfort for it. Anyway thats my experience with it, take it or leave it but I don't need it picked apart and questioned.
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 3:37 pm

There are prong collars that are sharp (generic, cheap ones), and there are prong collars that are rounded smooth (Herm Sprenger) and do not puncture or hurt the dog's neck when they pull against it. I was always against choke and prong collars until my GSD breeder had me try one on my own neck. It was slightly uncomfortable when I pulled against it, but it did not hurt. I know a dog's neck with the thick fur (especially GSDs and Sibes) is a lot more padded and thus more pain resistant than my neck. I used the prongs when walking more than 1 dog, and realized this is just a temporary tool to control pulling. As soon as the prong comes off, they are back to pulling full strength again. I eventually switched to a Softouch Sensation harness from http://www.softouchconcepts.com.

collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 Sa100ml-redv3%20copy

Our positive reinforcement behaviorist highly recommended this type of harness, and specifically recommended this brand/company, as their Sensation model has a softer, stretchable material which makes the dog more comfortable than the cheaper model. Both are cheap and reasonable. This harness controls the dog similar to the prong or choke, without any possible damage to the trachea if/when they lunge at squirrels, etc. I pair this harness with a 12" traffic lead (basically just a leash handle and a clip) so I can keep a dog on each side of me under complete control at all times. Here's a traffic lead example:

collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 122102

Hope that helps. Just wanted to chime in, as I have experience with all types of anti-pulling tools. I would never use a choke on a Sibe, as their high pain tolerance and STRONG desire to pull spell disaster for a collar that tightens down around their throat and keeps them from being able to breathe. A prong is a different story. When I use chokes on my GSDs, I clip in to both rings so it cannot cinch down around their throats.
Back to top Go down
mishkaanfwolfgirl
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2014-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 13, 2014 9:57 pm

I honestly would not use a choke collar for,they have no stop so it could hurt your dog but you could choose a pinch or prong collar they are like the martingale collar or semislip collar but they have prongs on the inside that when pulled on has a discomfort feel so it could help but be sure to fit it properly also your dog may be like mine and will have to have the walking gear switched up sometimes I used this wonderful leash thing called the easy walker or something like that the only problem is the clip and that mishka got used to it so it doesn't bother her im hoping to get a martingale collar soon though because she's use to the prong collar too
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?   collar - Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Am I really so bad for wanting to try a choke collar?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3