It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Bodhi the Predator

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Bodhi the Predator Empty
PostSubject: Bodhi the Predator   Bodhi the Predator EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 2:18 am

Bodhi is completely a love dog- enthusiastic and affectionate,
Except today.
He never has had a rawhide, but our vet gave us one to try.
He said it was OK as long as we watched him.

I was in the other room. My wife was knitting with Bodhi at her feet.
Bodhi was working on the rawhide and she accidentally stepped on it.
I heard her yell, so I came in.
He had snapped at her.
"Pick up the rawhide, but don't get your face near him," she said.
I looked down. Bodhi's face was contorted into a mask of a wolf about to attack.

I kicked the rawhide to the other side of the room, grabbed his muzzle and yelled at him.
If I didn't have his muzzle in my hand, I think he would have bitten me.

Two minutes later, he was his usual waggy tailed self.

What was that all about? Advice please...
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Bodhi the Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodhi the Predator   Bodhi the Predator EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 4:24 am

Something new and something not to have again.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Bodhi the Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodhi the Predator   Bodhi the Predator EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 4:37 am

Sounds like he got overly possessive; my Lab couldn't have rawhide for this reason, she would completely loose her mind and even growl and snap at flies buzzing around her head... and it was only rawhide that made her act that way. Suspect

Kale gets tense with rawhide, he's never growled or snapped but his silence and the way he side glances at me makes me nervous, so I avoid it. If the rawhide is apart of a toy then he's fine, but by itself... NOPE! lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Bodhi the Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodhi the Predator   Bodhi the Predator EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 1:12 pm

I've heard that happens to a lot of people - either with rawhides or raw bones. Chili growled at me once 3 weeks after we got him and I stepped up the NILIF at that point - I know it was very disturbing for your wife but please have her continue to be the boss around him.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Bodhi the Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodhi the Predator   Bodhi the Predator EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 1:17 pm

Kody gets tense too, but lets me take any bone that he has. He might hold onto it for dear life, but won't snap at all. Mya, yep, can't touch her or her bone! I try not to give them any bones for this reason, but sometimes I feel bad and budge Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Bodhi the Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodhi the Predator   Bodhi the Predator EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 2:06 pm

Yeah, we figured out that he doesn't get rawhides anymore.

Have fun camping this weekend.
It's kind of hard to conceive of your warm weather.
It's 28 degrees here this morning.
I'm going back and forth about taking Bodhi skijoring.
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

Bodhi the Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodhi the Predator   Bodhi the Predator EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 6:27 pm

nikki is very tense around rawhides. only rawhides/raw bones. i've worked with her and had her long enough that i can grab it from her if i need to but if there are any other dogs around there is no way she's getting one. the puppy has no idea about boundaries. guarding is, unfortunately, a natural dog instinct. sorry this happened but i agree with stepping up NILIF method with him, worked wonders with nikki
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bodhi the Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bodhi the Predator   Bodhi the Predator Empty

Back to top Go down

Bodhi the Predator

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1