It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Long lead recommendation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

Long lead recommendation Empty
PostSubject: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 5:03 pm

I'm taking my 3 boys to Surfside, TX next month and would like recommendations for a long waterproof leash for the beach. I know they will want to get into the water but I may not (at least past ankle deep) unless neccessary. I'm thinking 30' to 50' range at least. I figure the Colorado hikers or Florida beach combers might have a suggestion.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 6:13 pm

I don't know of a waterproof lead that's 50' but I know Amazon has 50' leads for $13.

http://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Gear-Cotton-Training-Lead/dp/B001MUPGRE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328562693&sr=8-2

The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 6:23 pm

I've been using stuff like this...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danielson-75-Braided-Lobster-Rope/17128034

Most of our camping tie outs/leashes are just rope and knots. And harnesses that clip closer to the shoulder area have been better for water that's deep enough for them to swim in.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 11:58 am

harrise wrote:
I've been using stuff like this...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danielson-75-Braided-Lobster-Rope/17128034

Most of our camping tie outs/leashes are just rope and knots. And harnesses that clip closer to the shoulder area have been better for water that's deep enough for them to swim in.

Thanks Eddy never thought about using something like that. Don't know as I trust my knot tying skills, haven't had to use them lately, but I think I can dust them off.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:22 am

I would suggest the same thing as Eddy or any marine nylon rope. I prefer the nylon because it has some stretch to it. Just in case the pup takes off I like to have some give in the rope where Spectra is a dead stop (assuming he's anchored to something more solid than myself).

I make our long leads - purchased ones are far too overpriced. I just use a Hangman's knot to affix a fastener from home depot.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:13 pm

rileyflorence wrote:
I would suggest the same thing as Eddy or any marine nylon rope. I prefer the nylon because it has some stretch to it. .
Does this type of rope float too? Or is it another type of rope?

Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:21 pm

All of the marine rope I've used floats.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:37 pm

I would use something that floats when a dog is going to be swimming out so that the lead does not sink and get hung up on something underwater such as a sunken log, tree branches, etc. It's happened to too many people for me to feel comfortable letting my dogs swim out any distance away from me with leads on.

Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:38 pm

Go to a farm supply store and get a long line used for horses. They come in 25' and 50' I believe , if not longer. I used one on my " Jack Russel " I got as a puppy that grew to be 60lbs.j
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:40 pm

i<3neo wrote:
I used one on my " Jack Russel " I got as a puppy that grew to be 60lbs.j

Shocked

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:41 pm

Thanks all! Went with a polypropylene rope that is suppose to float. Now to dust off my knotting skills.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:46 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
Thanks all! Went with a polypropylene rope that is suppose to float.

That's what I have, it's 50 ft in length, yellow for increased visibility (although it's so dirty and dingy at this point it's closer to brown than yellow Rolling Eyes ) and I paid inflated prices to get the pre-made pet lead so I didn't have to worry about knotting. It works though, just be sure to rinse it off and leave it out to dry completely...ugh, they stink something awful when put away before completely dry!

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 10:46 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
i<3neo wrote:

Shocked

I was already laughing when I came across your reaction.

Thats as bad as the beagle I got from the SPCA back in 1972 (?) he weighed in close to 55-60 lbs. More like a German Shepard with beagle markings and ears. He was a great dog though. (Oblio)
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 11:20 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
i<3neo wrote:

Shocked

Yup. She was given to me at about two months old because her owner could not even keep her contained with baby gates stacked together. So I took her and she grew to be 60 lbs. Ill find a pic and pm it to ya when I get a chance. I done know a whole lot about that breed, but she had perfect markings, she was just huge! She had to be mixed with something, but the breeder swore she was full blooded.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Where does everyone get their training leads? I don't need one that is waterproof, just one to use around a huge park and to work more on recall. I keep seeing them at a lot of the dog shops, but all of them seem to be 1/2 " to 3/4" ones which I assume is normal so maybe they don't get so tangled but they don't seem very strong? Am I just paranoid and one of those would work or does anyone know of tougher ones?
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 3:47 pm

I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EH2XJ2/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's fine. Never had an issue with security, but he's never hit the end at full speed either. The hook is pretty heavy duty so it would stand up to some abuse.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 4:03 pm

Okay, thanks! I looked on Amazon and never came across the 1" ones! That was my only concern is in the beginning him getting use to the length and just running full speed ahead, but this does look tougher than the ones that I have come across so far. So far they have been that like cotton blend, and I just can't trust stuff like that.
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

Female Join date : 2013-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 10:04 pm

http://www.amazon.com/SGT-KNOTS-Floating-Tracking-Training/dp/B00EEAHKV4/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1376096550&sr=1-4&keywords=floating+training+lead

Would this be a good one?
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 10:12 pm

I don't know if I would trust rope, this is what I use.
http://www.amazon.com/Foot-Puppy-Training-Obedience-Leash/dp/B005AXN2BG/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1376097040&sr=8-15&keywords=50ft+dog+leash

One wash and the colors are just as vibrant as new, and you can attach a separate carabiner for added security if you don't trust the clip but I've had no issues with the clip it comes with.
Back to top Go down
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 10:57 pm

my friend's a trainer in the UK she suggets a Clix 10 metre (30ish feet) longline, the disadvantage: it doesn't have a handle. But she swears by it and she has a huge mastiff XD
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

Female Join date : 2013-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 11:09 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Foot-Puppy-Training-Obedience-Leash/dp/B005AXN2BG/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1376097040&sr=8-15&keywords=50ft+dog+leash

One wash and the colors are just as vibrant as new, and you can attach a separate carabiner for added security if you don't trust the clip but I've had no issues with the clip it comes with.
Have you used it in water Megan?
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 11:17 pm

ccurran07 wrote:

Mobezilla wrote:

Have you used it in water Megan?
Yup, no problems in water. We have beach photos that were from using those leads. Only issues I found was the clips locked up in the sand from tons of sand and water getting in the clip, but after a couple shakes it worked again.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 1:17 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EH2XJ2/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's fine. Never had an issue with security, but he's never hit the end at full speed either. The hook is pretty heavy duty so it would stand up to some abuse.
I just got this one and I love it, so thank you for the recommendation. It is heavy duty and the best long lead I've seen so far. Siku loves to play fetch inside so I thought that we would try it at the park yesterday, unfortunately he does not understand to bring the ball back while outside! Long lead recommendation 1625187496 So I guess that is our new project, so he doesn't have to do it in a tiny apartment anymore.
Back to top Go down
LittleHouse
Puppy
Puppy
LittleHouse

Male Join date : 2013-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 11:16 pm

How safe are these on the trail? Say there is a snake off the trail. At 50ft you have pretty negligible control. Do most dogs know to leave dangerous stuff alone? I took Jax to Big Bear last weekend and he was darting all over the place at about 10ft.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long lead recommendation   Long lead recommendation Empty

Back to top Go down

Long lead recommendation

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1