A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Bodhi and Michael!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM - December : TBA!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Bodhi and Michael,
our November HOTM Winners!
Autumn Bliss!





Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Texas Sled Dog Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys


Share | .
 

 New to Huskies - from Peterborough, ON

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
just_natalie
Newborn
Newborn
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-02-11
Location : Peterborough, ON

PostSubject: New to Huskies - from Peterborough, ON   Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:07 am

Hello,

My name is Natalie. I have been considering a husky for about five years now, but have only recently been considering it seriously and doing my research. I have read through some of the information in this forum, as well as some searching online, and contacting breeders through the Siberian Husky Club of Canada.

I have a lot of questions because I want to make sure that I am choosing the right breed and that I will be confident and capable of taking on a husky puppy in the summer. The research helps for sure, but I still need some more convincing and reassurances that I would be making the right choice.

I am currently a full-time college student and I own two chihuahuas that I got separately from separate breeders, and have trained them myself along with taken them through the basic puppy training that PetsMart offers. From what I've seen on this forum and online, having a husky and a chihuahua is possible. Could this make my chihuahuas upset at all, by having another dog that is bigger? How does a husky and a chihuahua playfight without the chihuahua getting hurt?

Over the summer, I only have two classes that shouldn't take up much of my time. I may consider getting a part-time job, but I am not sure as I can imagine that a new puppy will require a lot of attention and training. In September, I will be back to full-time college (unless I decide otherwise -- I could do part-time to reduce overall stress and to make sure the husky gets enough attention).

Currently, I crate my chihuahuas during the day and have been leaving them un-crated for brief periods of time if I have a short outing, to test them. Normally they're fine if I am not gone for long, as they know that they have a bathroom break I will be coming back to give them. Normally my classes have breaks in-between, even with full-time, so I am able to come home at some point or finish early to take them out for bathroom breaks. As long as I home, they are left will full run of the apartment except for bedrooms/bathroom. They usually have their walk at night, though I would like to change this and start taking them out in the morning as well. I'd actually like to run with my husky if I get one, and I can imagine they need more exercise, so I am not sure how that might work. I can't run the husky with two chihuahuas.. Would I run with the husky in the morning, and then walk the chihuahuas right afterwards? Would I run the husky in the morning and then wait until the evening to try to walk all three of them at the same time? If the husky pulls, what will happen to my chihuahuas if they can't keep up? Is it dangerous to walk all three at the same time by myself -- should I get a friend to help? I will be getting a roommate in May, a girlfriend from school, who is keen on me having a husky -- she might be able to help me walk them. And my boyfriend is also interested in having a husky, so he could likely help as well.

I would like to crate during the day while I am out -- husky in her own crate, chihuahuas in their own crate (this makes the most sense to me and seems the safest). However, I don't want to allow them to be in my bed as they will take over the bed, but I know that crating in both day and night would be far too long. Are there any suggestions for this? Do I just try to have their own beds and puppy proof the bedroom? Will a husky puppy just eat all her bedding? What do I do?!

I feed my chihuahuas a set amount twice a day right now -- I am not sure how often or how much a husky needs, but I measure it out and they both eat out of a separate dish.

Also, I found a breeder I am considering that may have an upcoming litter due for April 11th this year (the pregnancy has not been confirmed yet). They suggested that I have them (husky puppy and my two chihuahuas) meet on neutral ground -- a park the chihuahuas have never been to before, which sounds like a good idea. I just want to make sure that this will work out.

I asked the breeder plenty of questions, which she answered thoroughly. If I do decide to go ahead with getting a husky puppy, I plan to see the breeder and puppies in person, as I have with both my chihuahuas. The breeder said she will accept deposits as soon as she confirms her husky is pregnant -- is this normal? Does this generally mean first deposit, first choice out of the puppies? Would it be a good idea to meet the breeder and parents of the litter before putting down a deposit, and do it in person? Should I get some sort of written guarantee when I give my deposit?

Any other information you can provide me on why or why not I should choose a husky and how it may or may not work with my living arrangements, would be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-30
Location : Easton, Pennsylvania

PostSubject: Re: New to Huskies - from Peterborough, ON   Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:10 am

Welcome to the forum and good for you for doing as much research as you can!!! Very Happy I'll try and answer some of these questions to the best of my ability and hopefully more knowledgeable members will chime in Very Happy

Quote :
Could this make my chihuahuas upset at all, by having another dog that is bigger? How does a husky and a chihuahua playfight without the chihuahua getting hurt?
I don't know about making your chi's upset. It is absolutely possible for a Siberian to live alongside them but you also have to be realistic about a Siberian's prey drive. A prey drive is the dogs instinct to chase (hunt) and kill small animals. The Siberian and the Chi's would ALWAYS have to be under constant supervision when together - as a Siberian will be anywhere between 30-60 pounds. Even though your Siberian would have been raised with the Chi's since puppyhood that in NO way guarantees the safety of your Chis.

Quote :
Over the summer, I only have two classes that shouldn't take up much of my time. I may consider getting a part-time job, but I am not sure as I can imagine that a new puppy will require a lot of attention and training. In September, I will be back to full-time college (unless I decide otherwise -- I could do part-time to reduce overall stress and to make sure the husky gets enough attention).
Think of any puppy as a newborn baby and then think of how much work THEY require. That's essentially what you're getting into with a puppy. It isn't so much about the attention as it is about the training and socialization in the early stages of the dogs life. As a full-time college student a puppy usually isn't advisable but it's doable especially if you have a strong support system and people who are willing to help you out in taking care of the puppy. I normally recommend a younger adult (sometimes breeders will be rehoming their show dogs or a Siberian rescue usually is full of 1-3 year old Sibes) for someone with a somewhat hectic schedule or if they're deadset on a puppy waiting until their life calms down a bit. I never did the working/full time school thing with a puppy - but I also only got a puppy because I'm not working and had the time to dedicate to taking my puppy out every 1-1 1/2 hours until she was 6 months old and could control her bowel movements.

Quote :
I'd actually like to run with my husky if I get one, and I can imagine they need more exercise, so I am not sure how that might work.
Think of what a Siberian was bred specifically for. They were bred to pull sleds with light loads over extremely long distances (25, 50, even 75 miles A DAY). Their exercises requirements are a little more than your Chi's Smile. Usually two brisk walks minimum of 45 minutes are advised for such an active breed. But also mental stimulation can just as quickly tire out any dog.

Quote :
Would I run with the husky in the morning, and then walk the chihuahuas right afterwards?
If you're planning on jogging with your Siberian you'll have to do two separate walks. One with the Sibe and one with your Chis.

Quote :
If the husky pulls, what will happen to my chihuahuas if they can't keep up? Is it dangerous to walk all three at the same time by myself -- should I get a friend to help?
Ideally you would train your Sibe to walk loose-leash and not pull so you -could- walk all three together - but it also doesn't hurt to have a friend walk one and you the others. I don't quite understand what you mean about your Sibe pulling and hurting your Chis - you won't be walking them all on the same leash? If the Sibe pulls he/she will get to the end of the lead and stop because you'd be holding on to the other end Razz



Quote :
However, I don't want to allow them to be in my bed as they will take over the bed, but I know that crating in both day and night would be far too long. Are there any suggestions for this? Do I just try to have their own beds and puppy proof the bedroom? Will a husky puppy just eat all her bedding? What do I do?!
A tired Siberian is a good Siberian. You can teach a really good/strong "off" or "crate" command - so that when it is bed time you would tell him/her "off" or "crate" and they'd get on the floor or go to their crate. Or you could just all together not allow them on the bed. With enough guidance and training - a Siberian will know what is acceptable to chew with your help in telling him/her what is okay. A Siberian still is a dog - even if they are a breed apart Razz.

Quote :
The breeder said she will accept deposits as soon as she confirms her husky is pregnant -- is this normal? Does this generally mean first deposit, first choice out of the puppies?
Accepting deposits once the pregnancy is confirmed is normal. Though it doesn't mean at all "first come first serve" to my knowledge at least. Someone might be able to chime in better on it.
Does this breeder do any conformation showing? I don't know the requirements of the SHCC to be a member - If so - pups going to a show home will take priority over you as you're just looking for a "pet quality". Also - placing a deposit on a pup doesn't mean that you will get a pup from this litter, either. Show puppies (assuming this breeder shows) will go out first and if there isn't a puppy that the breeder feels would go well with you or doesn't meet the qualities you are looking for in a puppy - they'll often times refund your money or you can have them keep it and you'll be on the list for a puppy from the next litter. Also a GOOD breeder will pick out a puppy FOR you. You'll tell them what you're looking for in a puppy and they'll do their best to match a puppy to that - not just let you walk in willy nilly and pick a puppy.

Quote :
Would it be a good idea to meet the breeder and parents of the litter before putting down a deposit, and do it in person?
It is a SPECTACULAR idea to meet the breeder and the dogs before you place the deposit. You really want to get a feel for the breeder (anyone can answer questions over a phone or in an email and "sound" really great) and you absolutely want to see the parents and their temperament before you put money down on a puppy.



Also about this breeder - you'll want a breeder that tests their Siberian's Hips - no younger than 2 years old - the breeder will be able to provide you with an OFA number or the dogs registered name that you can enter into their database and look up their scores. Eyes also get done yearly - the breeder will also be able to provide you with a number to look up in the CERF database to check his/her dogs eyes. I'm assuming since you said you were going through the SHCC that they'll be a COE breeder and will readily offer these things to you.

Siberian's are prone to eye problems so finding a breeder that gets their dogs eyes checked yearly is SUPER important.

You'll also want to find out what kind of a health guarantee the breeder offers for his/her pups (anything under 2 years/24 months is iffy) and you'll want to know if the breeder is willing to take back the puppy if anything were to happen to you in the event that you could no longer care for the dog - no matter the age of him/her. (any GOOD breeder will take back one of their puppies NO MATTER WHAT)

_________________




Last edited by Niraya on Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:35 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Lots of editing - adding and correcting things)
Back to top Go down
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: New to Huskies - from Peterborough, ON   Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:47 pm

@just_natalie wrote:

I am currently a full-time college student and I own two chihuahuas that I got separately from separate breeders, and have trained them myself along with taken them through the basic puppy training that PetsMart offers.

I myself am a full time college student, and I just got a pup 2 weeks ago. If you need your sleep, then I would recommend a young adult as well. It was rough for me to keep up with school and get up every 2 hours or so with Xiah (mind you I got her too young, your pup will be about 3 weeks older at least) and I'm very lucky she ended up crate trained after only 3-4 days.

@just_natalie wrote:
Could this make my chihuahuas upset at all, by having another dog that is bigger? How does a husky and a chihuahua playfight without the chihuahua getting hurt?

Supposedly dogs cannot tell that they are sized differently. In either case, yes huskies play very rough, it is really all about temperament. My male husky was raised with a litter of kittens, a infant/toddler, and was socialized very very well (I took him EVERYWHERE and did a lot with him) so he will actually even play with our cat (with supervision of course). He plays with Xiah very well who was only 6.5 lbs the day we got her (so around chi size) and I've also watched him play with a wire hair terrier pup who was maybe 3 lbs very well and the both LOVED it. It just requires supervision. I've also seen some chi's tell the big dogs who's boss (though my two (RIP) that I grew up with would never have).

@just_natalie wrote:
Over the summer, I only have two classes that shouldn't take up much of my time. I may consider getting a part-time job, but I am not sure as I can imagine that a new puppy will require a lot of attention and training.

I would imagine with training and exercise while you are home, and something to mentally stimulate during the day while in the crate (like a stuffed kong toy or something of the sort) the pup would be fine.... problem is if you do get a young pup, it will have to go out probably every 3-4 hours or so.... so you might run into a problem there, but it sounds like you won't since you have breaks between classes.

@just_natalie wrote:
Currently, I crate my chihuahuas during the day and have been leaving them un-crated for brief periods of time if I have a short outing, to test them.


@just_natalie wrote:
As long as I home, they are left will full run of the apartment except for bedrooms/bathroom.


I currently know very very few huskies that can be left alone and stay out of things. The dog must be really tired from exercise usually too. I left Diesel out for 30 minutes (or less even) just yesterday (on accident) and he ate several things in my room. So the second quote is even bigger worry than the first (to me).

@just_natalie wrote:
I'd actually like to run with my husky if I get one, and I can imagine they need more exercise, so I am not sure how that might work.

A doggie backpack is an excellent idea here too. Just enough weight to tire them out a bit more. Makes a 1 mile walk feel like 3 for them. I've been reading on this forum in particular to wait until about 2 years for skeletal maturation to run them intensely on pavement and such things, but I'm not 100% on that so I'll see if someone else chimes on it. If I am right and you are wanting a running partner, a young adult might be a better idea in this area as well.

@just_natalie wrote:
I can't run the husky with two chihuahuas.. Would I run with the husky in the morning, and then walk the chihuahuas right afterwards? Would I run the husky in the morning and then wait until the evening to try to walk all three of them at the same time? If the husky pulls, what will happen to my chihuahuas if they can't keep up? Is it dangerous to walk all three at the same time by myself -- should I get a friend to help? I will be getting a roommate in May, a girlfriend from school, who is keen on me having a husky -- she might be able to help me walk them. And my boyfriend is also interested in having a husky, so he could likely help as well.

Another person would probably be helpful, and it's good to walk them together as a pack, it helps bonding. I'm not to experienced in this area either but that is what I know about it, so I'll let someone else elaborate more on this too.

@just_natalie wrote:
I would like to crate during the day while I am out -- husky in her own crate, chihuahuas in their own crate (this makes the most sense to me and seems the safest).

I definitely agree with this, it would make sure everyone stays safe and that nothing is destroyed while you are gone.

@just_natalie wrote:
However, I don't want to allow them to be in my bed as they will take over the bed, but I know that crating in both day and night would be far too long. Are there any suggestions for this? Do I just try to have their own beds and puppy proof the bedroom? Will a husky puppy just eat all her bedding? What do I do?!

Diesel actually never slept on a bed when I let him have the run of the bedroom as a pup. I don't know why, that doesn't mean I don't think you should get a bed for your pup, just stating my experience Smile A puppy proofed bedroom at night sounds nice, but I also worry that until your pup is potty trained you will have a ton of accidents. Could you maybe contain the pup to the kitchen and puppy proof it during the day and have it in the crate at night? Right now I have Xiah with a puppy exercise pen that has access to her crate during the day with a whelping pad lining the floor of the exercise pen so that she gets used to the feeling of carpet and not going there, but if she has an accident it doesn't get on the floor and I can simply wash the pad.


@just_natalie wrote:
I feed my chihuahuas a set amount twice a day right now -- I am not sure how often or how much a husky needs, but I measure it out and they both eat out of a separate dish.

Twice a day is good for an adult dog, pups will need to be fed 3-4 small meals a day until probably 4-6 months where you can move to 2-3 daily. It helps them digest easier with smaller, more frequent meals. Also have you decided on a kibble yet? There are many discussions on kibble throughout the forum. I like Victor Brand Dog Food - others also like Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, and other premium kibbles. Victor is made in the US with all US ingredients (within 200 miles from me actually) and isn't that expensive, so that's why I purchase it.

@just_natalie wrote:
Also, I found a breeder I am considering that may have an upcoming litter due for April 11th this year (the pregnancy has not been confirmed yet). They suggested that I have them (husky puppy and my two chihuahuas) meet on neutral ground -- a park the chihuahuas have never been to before, which sounds like a good idea. I just want to make sure that this will work out.

This sounds like an excellent breeder so far, and I like that she suggested neutral ground. Dogs can be unhappy meeting a new friend on their home turf. I wouldn't really suggest a park though for a new puppy as it can carry many things that could make it sick. Maybe someone else's home that your chi's haven't been to that you know is safe would be better.

@just_natalie wrote:
I asked the breeder plenty of questions, which she answered thoroughly. If I do decide to go ahead with getting a husky puppy, I plan to see the breeder and puppies in person, as I have with both my chihuahuas. The breeder said she will accept deposits as soon as she confirms her husky is pregnant -- is this normal? Does this generally mean first deposit, first choice out of the puppies? Would it be a good idea to meet the breeder and parents of the litter before putting down a deposit, and do it in person? Should I get some sort of written guarantee when I give my deposit?

Taking deposits only after a confirmed pregnancy is common. I'm not sure about the pick order, I'm sure the breeder would be happy to answer your question about that as all breeders have different policies anyway. I would definitely recommend meeting the parents of the litter before placing a deposit, because their temperament will help to predict how your pup will also be. I would imagine a reputable breeder will have you sign a contract of some sort when you put down your deposit. I also don't recommend doing deposits in any way besides face-to-face as it helps to avoid fraud and other things. As was mentioned before, I would make sure that the parents are checked on their hips and eyes with those registries before putting down a deposit as well.

Sorry mine was so long winded, I'm just letting you know everything I know, and we seem like were in nearly the same situation. I love having my huskies, that's why I invested in getting a pup (who is my second dog, and husky) just recently. Diesel is 1 1/2 and I've had him since 10 weeks. As long as you think you can meet the physical and mental demands of the pup or adult (whichever you decide) then I would say go for it!

And by the way, WELCOME to the forum Very Happy!
Back to top Go down
just_natalie
Newborn
Newborn
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-02-11
Location : Peterborough, ON

PostSubject: Re: New to Huskies - from Peterborough, ON   Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Wow -- thank you both for the information Smile. I did mean to mention that I had read on here that it is not recommended to run with a husky until they are 2 years of age (at least on a hard surface), and that I would need to find other activities to consume their energy with.

Walking and a play pen sound like my best bet. That's a good idea about the kitchen, I might be able to do that, I would just need some gates of some sort.

I also read that I would need to purchase a large crate they could grow into and section it off for a smaller area while they are a puppy.

So I would leave the husky in the kitchen during the day and crate her at night? And the chihuahuas need supervision to be around the husky, so where might I keep them? Two crates for sure I guess -- and a play pen for chihuahuas and kitchen for husky?? Something like that?

I haven't decided on kibble yet as I am still deciding if I will be getting a husky, but the breeder did say she provides some of the food it will have been on. I did ask about hip and eye certifications and she did say she provides those. The puppy also comes with first shots, de-worming, and micro-chip.

I may consider taking a reduced course load in the fall, in which case, I would have more time and breaks to come home to take the puppy out -- it would just mean that my program is 4 years instead of 3, which isn't a big deal if it means less stress and providing my dogs what they need.

I have had some depression (undiagnosed) and stress in the last several months, and just researching and thinking about the possibility of another dog has made me feel better. I have also read that it can make all the difference for depression. I wouldn't be doing all of this research if I didn't feel ready for another dog. Though daunting, as I learn more I feel that I could handle it.

I also have some safety and paranoia worries, and having a bigger dog may make me feel safer as opposed to my two chihuahuas alone -- I don't expect it to be aggressive or a guard dog -- it just might help my own conscience, having a protector there that could alert me to intruders -- though I'm not sure whether howling is a good thing or not? Do you train against this? Do you welcome it? I have been watching Mishka the talking husky on YouTube and it's hilarious and adorable, though very loud. Could howling cause problems if I live in an apartment building or for landlords? Do you train to decide when howling is acceptable and when it isn't?

I'm at a point in my life where I feel something is missing. And for me, I think it is another dog -- a companion.

P.S. -- On a side note, can I change my email address for my account on here? I couldn't find where to change it and I'm not really using that email anymore, so I have to check back here constantly to see if there were any replies


Last edited by just_natalie on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-30
Location : Easton, Pennsylvania

PostSubject: Re: New to Huskies - from Peterborough, ON   Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:16 pm

Siberian's are far from guard/protection dogs and often times will not "alert" bark. They are quite often pretty quite dogs in that sense. I encourage my Siberian to howl and "talk". But I don't even think I could if i wanted to encourage her to alert back as that is basically the very last thing these dogs were bred for.

If you live in an apartment and a Siberian screams it is probably going to annoy your neighbors. I live in a townhouse so I encourage Bella to scream up a storm especially while we play. A puppy in an apartment would probably be bad times - as puppies are notorious for screaming bloody murder especially when they aren't getting something they want (i.e. being in a crate). When I crated Bella she would scream FOREVER. Not even kidding - you could hear this dog three blocks away. When we left she would scream the ENTIRE time we were gone when she was a puppy. It got better - but also giving toys like kongs filled with treats/yogurt/peanut butter will help keep them busy but sometimes that doesn't work and then you have to prepare for the worst.

They are friendly and are not bred for protection of any kind.

_________________


Back to top Go down
just_natalie
Newborn
Newborn
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-02-11
Location : Peterborough, ON

PostSubject: Re: New to Huskies - from Peterborough, ON   Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:21 pm

@Niraya wrote:
Siberian's are far from guard/protection dogs and often times will not "alert" bark. They are quite often pretty quite dogs in that sense. I encourage my Siberian to howl and "talk". But I don't even think I could if i wanted to encourage her to alert back as that is basically the very last thing these dogs were bred for.

If you live in an apartment and a Siberian screams it is probably going to annoy your neighbors. I live in a townhouse so I encourage Bella to scream up a storm especially while we play. A puppy in an apartment would probably be bad times - as puppies are notorious for screaming bloody murder especially when they aren't getting something they want (i.e. being in a crate). When I crated Bella she would scream FOREVER. Not even kidding - you could hear this dog three blocks away. When we left she would scream the ENTIRE time we were gone when she was a puppy. It got better - but also giving toys like kongs filled with treats/yogurt/peanut butter will help keep them busy but sometimes that doesn't work and then you have to prepare for the worst.

They are friendly and are not bred for protection of any kind.

That's fine, I don't intend it for that -- it's really for my own peace of mind.

The howling I might worry about. I will be moving in with a roommate, a girlfriend from school, in May and we haven't chosen a place yet but are still looking. I think the place we were looking at were like town homes? And I think there was a backyard included, I'm not sure. I can always try to find something with the assumption of having a husky -- choosing a place specifically that might be better.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-30
Location : Easton, Pennsylvania

PostSubject: Re: New to Huskies - from Peterborough, ON   Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:25 pm

If you're sincerely thinking of getting one - be it in 3 months of 3 years it is a good idea to think long term. I know you said you're from Canada - but in the states some places have BSL (Breed specific legilsation/laws) and Siberian's are on some of those lists. Some apartment complexes can also have weight and size limits for their buildings which would be another thing to think about.

Even if you choose to rent a house - your landlords can have a list of breeds that they allow and don't allow while more strict ones will also have size/weight limits.

_________________


Back to top Go down
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: New to Huskies - from Peterborough, ON   Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:36 pm

@just_natalie wrote:
Walking and a play pen sound like my best bet. That's a good idea about the kitchen, I might be able to do that, I would just need some gates of some sort.

My mom went through a ton with her wiener dog that she got from the shelter when I still lived there, I would recommend a gate that is screwed into the wall if you can, and definitely make sure it's tall. I would also get one that just has vertical bars so no climbing can commence. Diesel has never been an escape artist and I can actually keep him in a normal chain link fence with no problems (not that I do) but I did temporarily adopt a husky that got out through a hole the size big enough for a cat, and he was 60 lbs at least I bet.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=dog+gate&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13892193316076010744&sa=X&ei=ymE5T5DuDIHh0QGg49isAg&ved=0CL4BEPICMAQ

Is what my my mom has and what I'm talking about with vertical bars only.

@just_natalie wrote:
I also read that I would need to purchase a large crate they could grow into and section it off for a smaller area while they are a puppy.

Most definitely, that is what I have for Xiah. They need enough room to stand, sit, turn around and stretch comfortably in a crate. I have a 36" crate for Diesel (who is small for a husky and only ranges around 45lbs) and I had the same size for said 60lbs husky and they both fit fine. I get my crates on ebay. Much cheaper. I'm talking $30-40USD if you look hard enough.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-42-36-30-Folding-Pet-Dog-Cat-Cage-Divider-/250979165977?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item80137aea63#ht_3365wt_1270

Cheapest buy it now on ebay with the divider. Generally the auctions don't go much lower if at all than this. I got a second crate with the assumption of getting an adult husky, which didn't happen at the time, and then when I just bought the divider I ended up paying barely (like $5) less than I did for the whole crate itself, so definitely don't buy separately. You can always just make your own divider but there is a chew factor involved.

@just_natalie wrote:
So I would leave the husky in the kitchen during the day and crate her at night? And the chihuahuas need supervision to be around the husky, so where might I keep them? Two crates for sure I guess -- and a play pen for chihuahuas and kitchen for husky?? Something like that?

That sounds like it would work. I say the kitchen because that really gives plenty of walk around room (usually, I've seen some tiny kitchens). The chi's are a lot smaller so a playpen would work for them. I've been using customize-able shelving for Xiah's playpen. A lot cheaper than buying an actual "puppy playpen".

@just_natalie wrote:
I have had some depression (undiagnosed) and stress in the last several months, and just researching and thinking about the possibility of another dog has made me feel better. I have also read that it can make all the difference for depression. I wouldn't be doing all of this research if I didn't feel ready for another dog. Though daunting, as I learn more I feel that I could handle it.

I suffer from depression on a regular basis as well, especially when I'm bored and feel I have nothing to do (since I'm managing my classes so well this semester I've ran into that a lot). I haven't been depressed since I got Xiah. She keeps me busy and I love to love on her. There's nothing like puppy breath and crazy puppy licks.

@just_natalie wrote:
-- though I'm not sure whether howling is a good thing or not? Do you train against this? Do you welcome it? I have been watching Mishka the talking husky on YouTube and it's hilarious and adorable, though very loud. Could howling cause problems if I live in an apartment building or for landlords? Do you train to decide when howling is acceptable and when it isn't?

I've been trying to train Xiah to speak, not that I'm really making progress. Not ALL huskies are like that though, just the good majority I believe. Diesel has barked 5 times or so since I've had him, and he's never howled. He talked only a couple times before I got Xiah, and now he talks all the time if their playing, but is quiet when they're not. I did have issues with him being outside he would do his "seizure" noise (not really seizures) that was some crazy combination of a whine/scream/bark. I also have read some people that train the quiet command but I don't know how well that works on huskies. As I mentioned in another thread today, Xiah is screaming bloody murder like I'm killing her every time I walk her with a collar, but she's always done fine in a crate, only howled when she needed to potty and then was quiet again. I think she only griped once when she didn't actually need to go.

@just_natalie wrote:
I'm at a point in my life where I feel something is missing. And for me, I think it is another dog -- a companion.

I've felt that way for a long time and I'm so glad I got Xiah. I got her mostly for Diesel, because I wanted him to have a packmate (he's very other dog and person oriented (which is a husky thing anyway)) and someone to play with, but I love dogs and always wanted a second. I want a third when I have my own place.


Last edited by Kiyonai on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: New to Huskies - from Peterborough, ON   Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:38 pm

I also forgot to address the bedding thing you were worried about. I start out with no bedding, after a week of not going in the crate, a sheet, and then I just graduated Xiah to her "big girl bed" (a nice, super padded crate pad I bought and have the same for Diesel) just yesterday after not going in the crate with that or shredding the blanket.
Back to top Go down
just_natalie
Newborn
Newborn
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-02-11
Location : Peterborough, ON

PostSubject: Re: New to Huskies - from Peterborough, ON   Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:30 pm

@Niraya wrote:
If you're sincerely thinking of getting one - be it in 3 months of 3 years it is a good idea to think long term. I know you said you're from Canada - but in the states some places have BSL (Breed specific legilsation/laws) and Siberian's are on some of those lists. Some apartment complexes can also have weight and size limits for their buildings which would be another thing to think about.

Even if you choose to rent a house - your landlords can have a list of breeds that they allow and don't allow while more strict ones will also have size/weight limits.

Hmm. I didn't think of that -- thanks! I will definitely think more on it, I am not even entirely sure right now if I will be able to afford one. I'm currently running for an election-based position at my school, so if I am elected it will be a paid job and perhaps I will be able to, assuming I have the time (though I don't think the job runs over the summer).
Back to top Go down
just_natalie
Newborn
Newborn
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-02-11
Location : Peterborough, ON

PostSubject: Re: New to Huskies - from Peterborough, ON   Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:32 pm

Thank you so much -- you gave me some great information -- links included! I will keep these things in mind as I am still thinking about it. However, I actually already dreamt I had a husky -- it was adorable. We'll see whether or not I can resist, I guess lol


@Kiyonai wrote:
@just_natalie wrote:
Walking and a play pen sound like my best bet. That's a good idea about the kitchen, I might be able to do that, I would just need some gates of some sort.

My mom went through a ton with her wiener dog that she got from the shelter when I still lived there, I would recommend a gate that is screwed into the wall if you can, and definitely make sure it's tall. I would also get one that just has vertical bars so no climbing can commence. Diesel has never been an escape artist and I can actually keep him in a normal chain link fence with no problems (not that I do) but I did temporarily adopt a husky that got out through a hole the size big enough for a cat, and he was 60 lbs at least I bet.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=dog+gate&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13892193316076010744&sa=X&ei=ymE5T5DuDIHh0QGg49isAg&ved=0CL4BEPICMAQ

Is what my my mom has and what I'm talking about with vertical bars only.

@just_natalie wrote:
I also read that I would need to purchase a large crate they could grow into and section it off for a smaller area while they are a puppy.

Most definitely, that is what I have for Xiah. They need enough room to stand, sit, turn around and stretch comfortably in a crate. I have a 36" crate for Diesel (who is small for a husky and only ranges around 45lbs) and I had the same size for said 60lbs husky and they both fit fine. I get my crates on ebay. Much cheaper. I'm talking $30-40USD if you look hard enough.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-42-36-30-Folding-Pet-Dog-Cat-Cage-Divider-/250979165977?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item80137aea63#ht_3365wt_1270

Cheapest buy it now on ebay with the divider. Generally the auctions don't go much lower if at all than this. I got a second crate with the assumption of getting an adult husky, which didn't happen at the time, and then when I just bought the divider I ended up paying barely (like $5) less than I did for the whole crate itself, so definitely don't buy separately. You can always just make your own divider but there is a chew factor involved.

@just_natalie wrote:
So I would leave the husky in the kitchen during the day and crate her at night? And the chihuahuas need supervision to be around the husky, so where might I keep them? Two crates for sure I guess -- and a play pen for chihuahuas and kitchen for husky?? Something like that?

That sounds like it would work. I say the kitchen because that really gives plenty of walk around room (usually, I've seen some tiny kitchens). The chi's are a lot smaller so a playpen would work for them. I've been using customize-able shelving for Xiah's playpen. A lot cheaper than buying an actual "puppy playpen".

@just_natalie wrote:
I have had some depression (undiagnosed) and stress in the last several months, and just researching and thinking about the possibility of another dog has made me feel better. I have also read that it can make all the difference for depression. I wouldn't be doing all of this research if I didn't feel ready for another dog. Though daunting, as I learn more I feel that I could handle it.

I suffer from depression on a regular basis as well, especially when I'm bored and feel I have nothing to do (since I'm managing my classes so well this semester I've ran into that a lot). I haven't been depressed since I got Xiah. She keeps me busy and I love to love on her. There's nothing like puppy breath and crazy puppy licks.

@just_natalie wrote:
-- though I'm not sure whether howling is a good thing or not? Do you train against this? Do you welcome it? I have been watching Mishka the talking husky on YouTube and it's hilarious and adorable, though very loud. Could howling cause problems if I live in an apartment building or for landlords? Do you train to decide when howling is acceptable and when it isn't?

I've been trying to train Xiah to speak, not that I'm really making progress. Not ALL huskies are like that though, just the good majority I believe. Diesel has barked 5 times or so since I've had him, and he's never howled. He talked only a couple times before I got Xiah, and now he talks all the time if their playing, but is quiet when they're not. I did have issues with him being outside he would do his "seizure" noise (not really seizures) that was some crazy combination of a whine/scream/bark. I also have read some people that train the quiet command but I don't know how well that works on huskies. As I mentioned in another thread today, Xiah is screaming bloody murder like I'm killing her every time I walk her with a collar, but she's always done fine in a crate, only howled when she needed to potty and then was quiet again. I think she only griped once when she didn't actually need to go.

@just_natalie wrote:
I'm at a point in my life where I feel something is missing. And for me, I think it is another dog -- a companion.

I've felt that way for a long time and I'm so glad I got Xiah. I got her mostly for Diesel, because I wanted him to have a packmate (he's very other dog and person oriented (which is a husky thing anyway)) and someone to play with, but I love dogs and always wanted a second. I want a third when I have my own place.
Back to top Go down
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-02-01
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: New to Huskies - from Peterborough, ON   Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:35 pm

@just_natalie wrote:
Thank you so much -- you gave me some great information -- links included! I will keep these things in mind as I am still thinking about it. However, I actually already dreamt I had a husky -- it was adorable. We'll see whether or not I can resist, I guess lol

I was thinking about getting a cardigan welsh corgi puppy instead of a husky pup before I got Xiah. I actually had nightmares where I had picked the corgi over a husky.... you see what happened.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-25
Location : Santa Cruz, California

PostSubject: Re: New to Huskies - from Peterborough, ON   Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Welcome! Kudos for doing research before bringing home a pup! Very Happy

Just thought I'd weigh in on having a 58 pound dog and a 12 pound dog living together (I have a dachshund mix). Usually If a Sibe has grown up with the smaller dog(s) since puppyhood, it gives the smaller dog a chance to set up rules and boundaries with the pup before they are fully grown. Violet (my doxie) is VERY submissive, and bringing home Kale actually brought her out of her shell. We had never seen her play before and the 3-4 day in, she was rolling around on the floor with him. To this day Kale plays very gentle with her and she tells him off when she's done or runs to her bed. I trust the two together alone wholeheartedly. I also have two cats and Kale loves them, I trust them alone together as well. Some Husky's have a prey drive thats extremely stong, but I guess I lucked out, he's more interested in just sniffing and playing with cats than chasing them. Wink

Kale is 7 months in the video and Violet is 7 years.



Dusty and Kale
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: New to Huskies - from Peterborough, ON   

Back to top Go down
 

New to Huskies - from Peterborough, ON

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

-
» New to Huskies - from Peterborough, ON
» LRO Show Peterborough 10-11 September 2011
» Northey lodge Peterborough
» 1st club,1st fed peterborough
» Anybody live Near Peterborough

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: The Welcome Mat-