It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Collar Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Raptor105
Puppy
Puppy
Raptor105

Male Join date : 2012-02-08

Collar Questions Empty
PostSubject: Collar Questions   Collar Questions EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi everyone,
Regarding collars, does anyone have any thoughts about the collars with the plastic "parachute" GTSR Acetal Buckles on them? They say they're rated for 300 Lbs of force but I didn't know if they are strong enough for the breed? I was also looking at some Martingale collars as well as collars with the stronger Austri Alpin Cobra buckle. Any thoughts on any of these (pros/cons)? Does anyone use these?
Thanks for the help!!
(BTW, still working on a name!)
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

Collar Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar Questions   Collar Questions EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 2:48 pm

I ONLY buy metal buckles for Neo, as anything plastic gets tore up the first time he lunges at something. His ruffwear harness is the only thing with plastic buckles, and it does fine, but no collars.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Collar Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar Questions   Collar Questions EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 3:09 pm

I use martingale collars when we're out for a walk. The collars I use have the metal buckle, but we don't usually clip their leashes to their collars:

http://www.ruffwear.com/Top-Rope-Collar-trade_7?sc=2&category=16

Puppy
Puppy
judalina

Collar Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar Questions   Collar Questions EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 3:10 pm

I dont' use a collar on my pup for walks either, he has one on always with his name tag and rabies tag on it, he's about 30-35 lbs and he is just out of control with a collar. Mainly because I'm too afraid to pull back with it and I give him a lot more slack, and when he doesn't have enough leash he is literally standing on his hind legs pulling hard. I have a harness with a metal buckle on him made by KONG, i got it on sale at petsmart for like 20$ (it also came with a buckle band thing for the seatbelt) and I use that when I walk him and I can control him SO MUCH better, he's a lot stronger than me when it comes to pushing and shoving but with the harness I can control him a lot better. I've had it for about a month now and I walk him every other day, and my dad takes him out in the evening as well and haven't had any issues with it at all.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

Collar Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar Questions   Collar Questions EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 3:19 pm

That's some serious plastic and I would use it myself. Not sure what my stuff is rated at, but I bought Black Diamond buckles to make sure it wasn't a low grade plastic. The biggest issue I've found is where the ring is attached. For proper stress on the buckle (my opinion here) the ring needs to be on the receiver side of the collar, not the forked end. It also needs to be positioned so when the dog pulls on it, it pulls in line with the buckle. If the ring is too far from the buckle it will put angled stress on the clip.

Both of the things you mentioned would be fine. The only con I could possibly see is the cost. But that really doesn't seem unreasonable.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Collar Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar Questions   Collar Questions EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 3:36 pm

i have no complaints on my plastic ruffwear collars i have had for 2+yrs now! even the material still looks new!

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Collar Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar Questions   Collar Questions EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Adobo & Biko both have the plastic snap buckles on their collars. I seriously can't remember the last time I used a metal buckle on their collars. Over the years I've had one snap break but the other held so there was no escape.
Back to top Go down
Raptor105
Puppy
Puppy
Raptor105

Collar Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar Questions   Collar Questions EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 am

Thanks everyone for the help and comments! I've just been concerned about the strength of the breed breaking the plastic clip on the collars. I've had these type of collars on my other dogs with no issues at all, however I just wanted to see if anyone else was using them before I put one on our dog. (I'm concerned about the dog breaking the collar and running off.) I'm also going to look into a harness for walks, didn't even consider that one. (thanks Judy!) Claudia, the collar you have is the same type buckle that I noted in my first post, I was also looking at those training bungee leashes that expand out to 6'. Thanks everyone for the help!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Collar Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar Questions   Collar Questions EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 2:33 pm

Raptor105 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the help and comments! I've just been concerned about the strength of the breed breaking the plastic clip on the collars. I've had these type of collars on my other dogs with no issues at all, however I just wanted to see if anyone else was using them before I put one on our dog. (I'm concerned about the dog breaking the collar and running off.) I'm also going to look into a harness for walks, didn't even consider that one. (thanks Judy!) Claudia, the collar you have is the same type buckle that I noted in my first post, I was also looking at those training bungee leashes that expand out to 6'. Thanks everyone for the help!

Please just make sure if you go with the plastic buckle you go with ruff wear or another high end collar maker, i had 2 plastic collars from petsmart break on me before i found ruffwear, one jack bit off sierra the other just broke with a tug. im going to upgrade to the new RW metal collars once i have the money. as far as the bungee leashes go i would get them from a sled company not off the shelf or i even thing the RW ones are a bit "weak" and do not take much effort to pull out, the sledding one for jorring are much stronger Smile

Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Collar Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar Questions   Collar Questions EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 3:05 pm

Lots of good info here on other threads about collars and leashes.

I do not use plastic buckles for the reasons you describe.
I use a Nordkyn Alaskan slip collar.
If adjusted correctly, the dog cannot get out of it or break it with a lunge.

http://www.nordkyn.com/
Back to top Go down
Raptor105
Puppy
Puppy
Raptor105

Collar Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar Questions   Collar Questions EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks Jennifer and Michael for the info.
That's my concern; going for a walk and having him see something, take off, and break the buckle. I figured if it's got a high break rating it should be okay. I just wanted to see if anyone else used them first.
I was looking at a collar like this one, however the price is high.

http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/tacticalassaultsystems1cobracollar.aspx

It seems like it's pretty rugged and I've seen their products before.
Back to top Go down
Sir Huskalot
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2012-06-02

Collar Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar Questions   Collar Questions EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 11:27 pm

I decided to forgo the weakest link (the buckle or clasp) and I built some seamless versions from 550 paracord. They're all made from one continuous length of cordage. The smaller ones have the cord quadrupled inside the knotting, and the larger one has six. I think that may add to the tensile strength.

I also went with extra huge rings, for ease of rigging and as a make-shift grab-handle for times when I'm unprepared. The extra huge rings look like gauged jewelry from certain angles.

Since these aren't adjustable in anyway, and just slip over STRIDER's head, I made them in stepped sizing for his growth estimations. I added an ID clip on the largest one, but I plan to go one size larger when he's fully grown, and I'm waiting on that one for proper measurements. I'm going to go all out on that one Smile Here is a pic:

Collar Questions NECK-RINGS

Collar Questions NECKRINGS
Back to top Go down
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

Male Join date : 2012-03-28

Collar Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar Questions   Collar Questions EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 11:30 pm

^^ Dang these look intense haha ^^
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

Collar Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar Questions   Collar Questions EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 12:52 am

Haha my husband made a para cord collar when at basic!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Collar Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar Questions   Collar Questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Collar Questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1