It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Chronic Diarrhea

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Juneau
Newborn
Newborn

diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Our pup will be 12 weeks this Tuesday and has had chronic diarrhea for three weeks. She was diagnosed with roundworm infection and was put on 1.5 pills of drontal. Then 2 weeks later Feb 11th had a fecal float and still saw roundworms eggs and so many that nothing else could be seen. Was given 34mg of pyrantel pamoate that day. And is due for her interceptor this sat Feb 25th. Through all of this she has had chronic diarrhea and we're very worried. Is it the food?(Orijen Puppy). Could it still be from the worms? She was 7lbs at 9 weeks when we got her and is now 12lbs. Any help would be appreciated!
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 10:12 pm

Have you tried adding some pumpkin to the food? Thats all I know, sorry no more help but wish you the best of luck to solve the issue.
Back to top Go down
Juneau
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 10:21 pm

Tried but it only somewhat resolves it. We were hoping for more of a permanent fix
Back to top Go down
Juneau
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 1:53 pm

Any ideas on what we should do?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 2:47 pm

I've never had a puppy, but I've seen several posts regarding puppies and having diarreha when the new owners bring them home. Often times, the diarreha is caused by worms, or the food, or even the new environment. But in reading back in your original post, it sounds like your pup has gone through a lot in the first few weeks of bringing her home. That could cause a nervous tummy on top of worms. If she still hasn't gotten rid of the worms/eggs yet, I would think that is part of the reason she is still having diarreha. In other puppy posts, I have read that their pups have done well on Orijen Puppy. But if you switched her food too fast, that could've also caused an upset tummy.

See what the vet says and if she is finally rid of the worms/eggs, see if she starts to do better with her tummy. In the meantime, you could add a little canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) to help her tummy (maybe about 1 measuring teaspoon).

Hopefully, someone else with puppy experience will also respond.

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 4:01 pm

No puppy here either but I rescued my Sebo from the shelter with a bad hookworm and whipworm infestation. He was 23lbs now 60lbs. Anyway he had 8 to 9 months of chronic diarrhea. The vet speculated the damage to his intestines was so severe it just took that long to heal.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Per Brian's comment about the intestinal tract being severely inflamed. Consider getting probiotics, her gut is probably so hurting from the worms, meds, and what ever she has picked up along the way. Adding some healthy bacteria to her system won't harm her and I think it'll help.

http://www.puritan.com/cleansing-detox-090/natures-promise-probiotic-acidophilus-002613?np=1

Though I never understood the reasoning behind it I started Adobo on probiotics for her tear stains due to some sort of intestinal discord and they helped. Plus they're cheap.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:19 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
Per Brian's comment about the intestinal tract being severely inflamed. Consider getting probiotics, her gut is probably so hurting from the worms, meds, and what ever she has picked up along the way. Adding some healthy bacteria to her system won't harm her and I think it'll help.

http://www.puritan.com/cleansing-detox-090/natures-promise-probiotic-acidophilus-002613?np=1

Though I never understood the reasoning behind it I started Adobo on probiotics for her tear stains due to some sort of intestinal discord and they helped. Plus they're cheap.
I did plain non-fat yogurt with active cultures for Ginger when she was going through a period of diarreha...it helped, but I think this would promote good bacteria better than plain yogurt.

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 6:38 am

cmanding wrote:
Here4thePics wrote:

I did plain non-fat yogurt with active cultures for Ginger when she was going through a period of diarreha...it helped, but I think this would promote good bacteria better than plain yogurt.

I find it very difficult trying to share my yogurt though. diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea 1625187496
Back to top Go down
chaseandcaitlyn
Newborn
Newborn
chaseandcaitlyn

Female Join date : 2011-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 8:11 am

You can actually make your own yogurt pretty cheap if you have a crockpot (and the dogs don't really care if it turns out runny). Chase and I have yogurt everyday so I make a batch of this every Sunday and it lasts us a whole week. Better than store bought in my opinion Smile

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html
Back to top Go down
chaseandcaitlyn
Newborn
Newborn
chaseandcaitlyn

Female Join date : 2011-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 8:13 am

Here's another site describing it, but its basically the same thing.
I would definitely use whole milk, and greek yogurt as your starter culture.

http://www.macheesmo.com/2011/04/crockpot-yogurt/
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 1:24 pm

Make sure you keep the yard clean of poo so she isn't reinfecting herself with round worms. Probiotics are good. You may want to give enzymes with food like Proenzyme. It helps digest high protein in grain free foods. Also make sure she isn't eating her poo which can cause stomach issues. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Juneau
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 9:12 pm

Just gave Juneau her monthly interceptor pill. She passed another 8 worms today. Poor pup we dont know when it will end. The interceptor makes it the third time she's been dewormed in the six weeks since we got her
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 1:05 am

Juneau wrote:
Just gave Juneau her monthly interceptor pill. She passed another 8 worms today. Poor pup we dont know when it will end. The interceptor makes it the third time she's been dewormed in the six weeks since we got her
Hopefully, it'll end soon! Poor pup Sad

Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Cali and I hope it ends soon for Juneau
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Have you tried a different dewormer like Panacur, active ingredient is fenbendazole. you can use it even with a monthly dose of interceptor.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
massak
Puppy
Puppy
massak

Male Join date : 2012-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:39 pm

wow, thanks for the tips!!
massak has had diarrhea and gas for a bit. just last night he woke me up cuz he couldn't wait till morning. he just had his monthly de-wormer last week, so i was about to call the vet to see what she says, but then searched here. ran to the store before work, got some pumpkin, activa yogurt and gave 1 tablespoon of each, and fed him some boiled rice and chicken. took him out after work and everything was "normal"! it was like magic. he also seems a little more lively.
i also made a little road trip to get him some good food (taste ofthe wild) since i think that is what does him the best. actually, i think the only time he hasn't had the runs and gas was when i got him a bag of taste of the wild. the blue buffalo brand food i usually feed him might be what doesn't agree with him, so we shall soon see
Back to top Go down
Juno's Dad
Puppy
Puppy
Juno's Dad

Female Join date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 11:05 pm

We inherited Juno at about 6 months old from our oldest son. She came with chronic craps. After some experimentation, we settled on Rachael Ray's Nutrish Dog Food. No cereal or filler. The diarrhea stopped almost immediately. We also feed her lots of fruits and vegetables--oranges, apples, lettuce, radishes, cucumbers, and celery. She loves it and shows no ill-effects.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 1:39 am

We had pretty bad diarrhea for about a month after Ghost came home from the breeder. We did a little trial and error with different foods, and found that at the time she couldn't tolerate grains though she seem to have grown out of that some. What we were finally able to do to get rid of the diarrhea was to put her on a diet of scrambled eggs, green beans, and carrots for a few days to reset her system, then slowly introduce a grain free kibble. We also supplemented her diet with canned pumpkin at the time, and it took care of the problem pretty quickly. Good luck!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 5:35 am

You can try some spunks probiotic. Helps digest food and absorb vitamins and minerals and helps keep poop firm. I'm using now w Kiara cause in switching her food.
http://www.equerrys.com/spunk.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chronic Diarrhea   diarrhea - Chronic Diarrhea Empty

Back to top Go down

Chronic Diarrhea

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1