It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Running with your Husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
g0tmus1c
Puppy
Puppy
g0tmus1c

Female Join date : 2012-01-17

running - Running with your Husky Empty
PostSubject: Running with your Husky   running - Running with your Husky EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 12:40 am

I want to train my girl (14 week old) to run with me (on foot and/or next to the bike) starting soon if possible. I have read that running far with puppies is bad for their joints, but what about running just a few times up and down the street or something? Is all running bad for them, or just long distance? Can I ride with her on the bike for a mile, half a mile, or not at all? I definitely do not want to hurt her growing joints but want to be able to successfully train her at a young age. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Running with your Husky   running - Running with your Husky EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 1:44 am

14 weeks is way too young for any sustained running.
You really don't want to hurt her and you will if she's running that early.
Dogs shouldn't run in a sustained fashion until they are ten months to a year.

Fetch or chase for short periods on grass is good.
Make it play. When she's pooped, she'll lie down.
Walking is good with bursts out to the end of a long lead.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Running with your Husky   running - Running with your Husky EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 2:58 am

Agreed. None for now. Our guy just turned a year, and it only took about three sessions before he learned to jog with us. You don't have to start young. Do what's best for the pup and wait.
Back to top Go down
g0tmus1c
Puppy
Puppy
g0tmus1c

PostSubject: Re: Running with your Husky   running - Running with your Husky EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 3:37 am

Okay, thanks guys ! I will stick to walking her until she is older! I guess I am just antsy about doing everything with her Very Happy but I must have patience!
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

PostSubject: Re: Running with your Husky   running - Running with your Husky EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 11:34 am

What you can do on your short walks for now is start teaching turn directions and "on by." very handy while jogging.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Running with your Husky   running - Running with your Husky EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 7:45 pm

Yep I agree 14 weeks is young. You can teach them on a leash. I didn't start running with mine until she was 9 months old. Hiking they can do, I actually hiked with her when she was 5 months. However mine is an oddball and the calmest thing!

Last edited by norbreedslove on Sat May 12, 2012 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
g0tmus1c
Puppy
Puppy
g0tmus1c

PostSubject: Re: Running with your Husky   running - Running with your Husky EmptySat May 12, 2012 6:21 pm

What does "on by" mean? What other things are useful to teach for running?
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Running with your Husky   running - Running with your Husky EmptySat May 12, 2012 6:30 pm

on by means leave it basically. You don't want your dog going to see that other dog or animal, or any distracting thing.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

PostSubject: Re: Running with your Husky   running - Running with your Husky EmptySat May 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Yep. Move on by. Ignore it. Keep moving.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

PostSubject: Re: Running with your Husky   running - Running with your Husky EmptySat May 12, 2012 8:23 pm

Oh - other useful terms

Hike - go
Gee(jee) - right turn
Haw - left turn
Gee/haw around - U turn in the respective direction
Line out - keep the line taught
woah - stop

You can use any words you want as long as you're consistent. There's no magic with these words other than they sound very different from eachother so they are clear to the dog. For example Right & left are similar in their ending in a T - a dog may get that more confused in the thick of the race than gee and haw. Personally we use "Yip Yip!" for go.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Running with your Husky   running - Running with your Husky EmptySat May 12, 2012 8:35 pm

I just say lets go for go. I say hike for faster. Smile
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Running with your Husky   running - Running with your Husky EmptySat May 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Quote :
or next to the bike

I agree with everyone else 14 weeks is way too young. That being said when it comes time to start and you feel comfortable look into "The Walkydog".

By no means do you need it, I've biked plenty of times with Tika without it, but my wife swears by it. I've also seen Melissa using it with I think Mya.

Kelly's words not mine, "It's great, she never throws me off balance, and I never feel like I'm being pulled. Even when she sees another dog or a squirrel if she starts to head for it I still have full motion it just feels like I'm biking through MUD for a tiny bit until she re-focuses back on being beside me."

Wow I really feel like I'm just here plugging products tonight.

Anyways again by no means do you need it to bike with, but if you feel more comfortable then I would just look into it fast.

Kelly and Tika on a bike ride.
running - Running with your Husky Tika_b11

Just food for thought.
~Chris~

Puppy
Puppy
g0tmus1c

PostSubject: Re: Running with your Husky   running - Running with your Husky EmptySun May 13, 2012 3:21 am

Thanks guys! Lots of good tips to prepare for when she's old enough to run Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Running with your Husky   running - Running with your Husky Empty

Back to top Go down

Running with your Husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1