A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Miya and Jane!, our October HOTM winners! HOTM - November : TBA!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Miya and Jane,
our October HOTM Winners!
Spooktacular Huskies!





Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Free Spirit Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys


Share | .
 

 Polar goes camping. Yunnan, China

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Polar
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Join date : 2012-02-25
Location : Castle Rock, CO

PostSubject: Polar goes camping. Yunnan, China   Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:43 pm

I was running a hostel in China, so I couldn't get away on overnight trips as much as I'd liked. Usually I have to wait until we don't have a lot of guests, and that's usually between fall and winter. I did get a chance to take my then fiancee and Polar on an overnight camping trip during a full moon. It was the first camping trip both of them had done, my wife didn't like it so much and probably won't go again (her reason is, "I can't take a shower!" Rolling Eyes ), but Polar loved it.

Polar carried her own food, water, and whatever I can fit into her pack.



Starting out from the little village we were living in...



we soon had to climb close to 1000 feet on a very steep hill.



Peek-a-boo!



I generally don't use pack animals when camping, but my wife wasn't used to carry a pack climbing up steep terrain...



so we got ourselves a mule.



Me!



Finally! Some flat bits.











Close to sunset, we were about 9000 feet now.







Setting up camp, Polar wanted to help...







It got chilly rather quickly when the sun goes down.



Full moon rising! It wasn't exactly easy to shoot, with an ancient digital camera.



Polar slept in the tent with us, by our feet. In the morning, I let her go out and play.



























Breakfast...



and the view to go with it.















Packing up.























Taking a little break.



Portable pillow.







Heading back down to our village.











Last edited by Polar on Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior


Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Polar goes camping. Yunnan, China   Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:29 pm

It looks like you just walked from your village to the campsite? If so, that makes me envious! I have to drive pretty far to get to do some decent camping. I took my first dog, Dakota, to Turkey Run in Indiana alot. That's about a 2 hour drive from my home. He was an excellant camping dog. I haven't camped since I got Willow as a pup and then Dakota started getting ill. I'm ready to take it up again. I don't know if Willow and Aspen will be good camping dogs but I sure do hope so. It something I really enjoy doing. Keep up with the pics. I think we are all enjoying yours and Polars adventures!
Back to top Go down
Polar
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Join date : 2012-02-25
Location : Castle Rock, CO

PostSubject: Re: Polar goes camping. Yunnan, China   Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:43 pm

26nikita wrote:
It looks like you just walked from your village to the campsite? If so, that makes me envious! I have to drive pretty far to get to do some decent camping. I took my first dog, Dakota, to Turkey Run in Indiana alot. That's about a 2 hour drive from my home. He was an excellant camping dog. I haven't camped since I got Willow as a pup and then Dakota started getting ill. I'm ready to take it up again. I don't know if Willow and Aspen will be good camping dogs but I sure do hope so. It something I really enjoy doing. Keep up with the pics. I think we are all enjoying yours and Polars adventures!

Yes, the village we were living in was surrounded by mountains, so there were tons of hiking and exploring for me and Polar. It has its positives and negatives. I didn't have a car in China, so our hiking adventures were limited to places I can walk to, which is really limiting. I couldn't visit a lot of places I wanted to with Polar. But, it was nice living so close to the mountains! Laughing
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Denver, CO

PostSubject: Re: Polar goes camping. Yunnan, China   Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:21 pm

Those are some awesome pictures! Polar seems like a great hiking and camping partner. We don't have much in the way of hiking around here, unless I want to go tangle with rattlesnakes (all over the place here). Our karate school is doing a little camp out at the end of the month, and I think we're going to go and bring the dogs. I need to see if my little backpacking tent is big enough for both of us and 2 dogs...

On a side note, Mindy, have you ever been to Fox Ridge State Park? It's right by Charleston, and it is an awesome place. I went there a couple times with girl scouts, and then again with my school in 8th grade. Google it, it's way closer than Turkey Run (which I agree, is awesome).

_________________
Shadow's Blog

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Back to top Go down
Polar
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Join date : 2012-02-25
Location : Castle Rock, CO

PostSubject: Re: Polar goes camping. Yunnan, China   Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:41 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
Those are some awesome pictures! Polar seems like a great hiking and camping partner. We don't have much in the way of hiking around here, unless I want to go tangle with rattlesnakes (all over the place here). Our karate school is doing a little camp out at the end of the month, and I think we're going to go and bring the dogs. I need to see if my little backpacking tent is big enough for both of us and 2 dogs...

I lived in Florida for 12 years, so I know about the hiking there... I've done my best to enjoy it, but if you hiked one trail in Florida, you've pretty much seen it all...

I do like all the water for canoeing, kayaking, diving, etc. However Polar isn't very much a water dog.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-01-29
Location : Broken Arrow, OK

PostSubject: Re: Polar goes camping. Yunnan, China   Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:15 pm

Ah such fun and great camping and hiking..

Polar really enjoys herself.
Back to top Go down
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-07-17
Location : Graniteville, SC

PostSubject: Re: Polar goes camping. Yunnan, China   Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:25 pm

For an ancient digital camera, those are some wonderful pictures.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Denver, CO

PostSubject: Re: Polar goes camping. Yunnan, China   Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Polar wrote:

I lived in Florida for 12 years, so I know about the hiking there... I've done my best to enjoy it, but if you hiked one trail in Florida, you've pretty much seen it all...

I do like all the water for canoeing, kayaking, diving, etc. However Polar isn't very much a water dog.

Where were you in FL? We will probably take some weekend trips up into Alabama and Georgia just to get some better hiking. We're only like 5 hours from both Huntsville and Atlanta, and they at least have some terrain variation up there. I can't wait til I can move north again...

Did I catch in another post that you were in the Navy? I am, but the keep sticking me on Air Force bases. I'm finally back on a Navy base after 4 years Razz

_________________
Shadow's Blog

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
avatar

Female Join date : 2009-05-29
Location : Denver, CO

PostSubject: Re: Polar goes camping. Yunnan, China   Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:16 am

Love the mule pic! What a good husband! Love the pics

_________________
Back to top Go down
Online
Polar
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Join date : 2012-02-25
Location : Castle Rock, CO

PostSubject: Re: Polar goes camping. Yunnan, China   Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:02 am

blueeyedghost wrote:

Where were you in FL? We will probably take some weekend trips up into Alabama and Georgia just to get some better hiking. We're only like 5 hours from both Huntsville and Atlanta, and they at least have some terrain variation up there. I can't wait til I can move north again...

Did I catch in another post that you were in the Navy? I am, but the keep sticking me on Air Force bases. I'm finally back on a Navy base after 4 years Razz

I lived in Orlando, it's got one of the best parks I've ever seen, but mountains are better.

I worked as a computer engineer for the Navy, but I was never enlisted in the military. I worked for the station at Pax River for three years, before I quit my job and went traveling around the world.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Denver, CO

PostSubject: Re: Polar goes camping. Yunnan, China   Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:15 am

Polar wrote:


I lived in Orlando, it's got one of the best parks I've ever seen, but mountains are better.

I worked as a computer engineer for the Navy, but I was never enlisted in the military. I worked for the station at Pax River for three years, before I quit my job and went traveling around the world.

Yeah I wish we had mountains. Maybe next tour...

That's cool you were a computer engineer, I'm a pilot. I went to the Academy, so I lived in Annapolis for 4 years and I've done some flying out of Pax River. I flew the E-6 if you're familiar with it. It is the big white 707 that flies alert out of Pax if you ever saw it. I'm just east of Pensacola now, at Whiting Field.

Not going to lie, I think if I could at this point I'd quit and travel as well.

_________________
Shadow's Blog

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
avatar

Male Join date : 2012-01-28
Location : OR

PostSubject: Re: Polar goes camping. Yunnan, China   Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:11 am

Polar looks like possibly the most content dog I have EVER seen. And for good reason! Beautiful pictures.
Back to top Go down
Polar
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Join date : 2012-02-25
Location : Castle Rock, CO

PostSubject: Re: Polar goes camping. Yunnan, China   Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:50 am

blueeyedghost wrote:

Yeah I wish we had mountains. Maybe next tour...

That's cool you were a computer engineer, I'm a pilot. I went to the Academy, so I lived in Annapolis for 4 years and I've done some flying out of Pax River. I flew the E-6 if you're familiar with it. It is the big white 707 that flies alert out of Pax if you ever saw it. I'm just east of Pensacola now, at Whiting Field.

Not going to lie, I think if I could at this point I'd quit and travel as well.

The "quit my job and go traveling" thing was great, I went climbing in New Zealand and Australia, went diving at the Great Barrier Reefs, did some more climbing in China and Malaysia, and more diving in Malaysia... I think it's a great thing to do when you're young, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything else.

Now that I'm in my 30s with no savings left, I've got to settle down, start a family, start to make some money. But I figure I have the rest of my life to do it.
Back to top Go down
Polar
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Join date : 2012-02-25
Location : Castle Rock, CO

PostSubject: Re: Polar goes camping. Yunnan, China   Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:50 am

MyKeeonah wrote:
Polar looks like possibly the most content dog I have EVER seen. And for good reason! Beautiful pictures.

Thanks! She loves the outdoors, so I try to get her out as much as I can.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Polar goes camping. Yunnan, China   

Back to top Go down
 

Polar goes camping. Yunnan, China

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

-
» Polar goes camping. Yunnan, China
» Polar goes rock climbing (ok, not really...). Yunnan, China
» Polar goes mountaineering. Haba Mountain (17,703 ft), Yunnan, China (9/2-9/4, 2010)
» from southern China P.cornutus.
» Feeding Azemiops feae "Yunnan"

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: The Great Outdoors-