It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

7 month old Husky biting. Help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mrshand214
Newborn
Newborn
mrshand214

7 month old Husky biting. Help! Empty
PostSubject: 7 month old Husky biting. Help!   7 month old Husky biting. Help! EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 5:13 am

Our little man Dash is 7 months old! When he was very little, my husband w ould play rough with him. I told him multiple times not to do this as he was teaching our Husky to be the head of the pack. He would basically put his arm out and have our dog nip and bite on it as he pulled it back and forth and as a puppy, his teeth didn't do much harm to my husbands arm. Although I told him, he was teaching aggression and telling Dash that biting was ok. As Dash grew older my husband wanted him to stop the biting because of course he was developing more, his teeth were becoming sharper and his bite much stronger. Well now we have a 7 month old occasional biter. For the most part, he respects us. But as a Husky, he still pushes the limit to be the alpha occasionally, but only in certain situations. My husband used to pop him lightly on the nose or bottom and tell him no. Then we were taught to roll him onto his back and pin him down gently of course and tell him no. That worked pretty well, tho sometimes once he got up he would jump on us and attempt to bite again. Well we were re-located to Hawaii and anyone who has moved here with a pet knows the crazy quarantine laws. But basically, because of our pups age, he had to be quarantined because he wasn't old enough to surpass all of the requirements to come into the state and be release directly. He has been in this quarantine facility since January 8th and will be released in early April. We are allowed to go see him but only certain days of the week and certain times. With work schedules, it works out to be about 3 times a week. We spend anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour with him in a 10 long x 4 wide x 10 ft. tall cage basically. He sleeps on concrete or in his carrier) he destroys bedding and never preferred to sleep on it anyways. He would always find a cold spot to sleep, like near the front door on the lanoleum. At any rate, he doesn't get excersized with the exception of running in that small cell. When we visit him, we play fetch with him and get him running in his small cell as much as we can but we aren't allowed to take him out for excersize. For a husky I know this is absolute torture and when we see him he is starved for attentiona nd affection so naturally he wants to jump on us and say hello as much as possible. He will also revert to biting and nipping occassionally. To us it doesn't appear to be aggressive or with the intention of hurting us but it does hurt none the less. Basically, I need help correcting this behavior once and for all. We will have him home full time in about a month and thats when we need to kick his trainging back into high gear. I am hoping we don't have to go through a lot to house train him again because he lives outdoors in the quarantine but is an indoor dog at home and in the quarantine facility, he eats, sleeps and uses the bathroom all in the same little area. Do you think he will revert to using the bathroom in the house? He was SO SO good at letting us know when he needed to go; he sat by us or by the door and we knew that was his signal to "go". Any advice on how to get him to do this again in case he doesn't pick it back up right away. Thanks! I know this was super long! Sorry.
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old Husky biting. Help!   7 month old Husky biting. Help! EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 10:31 am

I'm betting most everyone here will say to start him with NILIF training....
http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

Also You Tube "It's Me or the Dog-Diesel"

It was taped back in 2005, but Victoria Stilwell (the show host/trainer) deals with an unruly Husky...the show should help too!
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
mrshand214
Newborn
Newborn
mrshand214

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old Husky biting. Help!   7 month old Husky biting. Help! EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 6:10 pm

We try the NILIF for most things, I just have a hard time avoiding him if he wants attention. Sad I know he needs to learn he is most deff. not top dog and mostly he gets that but I think he still tries to be in charge in some instances. I think we need to get him in obedience classes with us. My husband just wants to pop him if he does something wrong but I don't like to do that. I'd rather teach him a different way. This is so frustrating. I will go check out that youtube video! Smile Thanks girl!
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old Husky biting. Help!   7 month old Husky biting. Help! EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Mermaidista wrote:

I had actually never heard about this! Kya does this thing where she will push her head under our hands or put her entire top half of her body into our laps demanding attention, and we always give it to her.

I am going to try this because it's really hard to work at home and deal with a dog that is demanding!
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old Husky biting. Help!   7 month old Husky biting. Help! EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 10:10 pm

mrshand214 wrote:
We try the NILIF for most things, I just have a hard time avoiding him if he wants attention. Sad I know he needs to learn he is most deff. not top dog and mostly he gets that but I think he still tries to be in charge in some instances. I think we need to get him in obedience classes with us. My husband just wants to pop him if he does something wrong but I don't like to do that. I'd rather teach him a different way. This is so frustrating. I will go check out that youtube video! Smile Thanks girl!

Sure thing!! Yeah, I wouldn't pop him...huskies don't respond well to that sort. They need positive training. Diesel was the same way in that video...and that lady told her to put him in the garage when he "acted up". You just have to do your best to ignore him when he does that.

Tiff&Kya wrote:
Mermaidista wrote:

I had actually never heard about this! Kya does this thing where she will push her head under our hands or put her entire top half of her body into our laps demanding attention, and we always give it to her.

I am going to try this because it's really hard to work at home and deal with a dog that is demanding!

Yeah, you absolutely have to! Huskies will run right over you if you let them. LOL
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
silvertoast
Newborn
Newborn
silvertoast

Male Join date : 2012-02-03

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old Husky biting. Help!   7 month old Husky biting. Help! EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 11:31 pm

we stopped layla's biting by doin this. when she bits, grab her mouth and hold it shut, say "no" loud and firm then keep repeating no each time a little softer until ur whispering no. after u do this a few times they will stop, when i say hold the mouth shut i dont mean with a death grip , just enough so they cant open it and break away from u. our trainer taught us this and has worked wonders
Back to top Go down
mrshand214
Newborn
Newborn
mrshand214

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old Husky biting. Help!   7 month old Husky biting. Help! EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 2:25 am

Thank you Chad! We will have to tryt hat with consistency. I do that when he bites and I don't hold it down hard, just gently but enough to keep it closed while I tell him no but he often comes right back and tries to bite. When he was very young, we would put him on his back and make him "submit" sa they say to and that worked when he was younger but because my husband taught him to bite, it's going to be a challenege when we get him home in a week or so! I am so excited to have him home but I am afraid his biting has gotten worse and I feel frustrated. I like your idea of saying it softer..so do you mean start loud and go softer in one command or like each time after if he bites make my voice lower? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
silvertoast
Newborn
Newborn
silvertoast

Male Join date : 2012-02-03

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old Husky biting. Help!   7 month old Husky biting. Help! EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 1:23 pm

yeah in one comamnd. start out loud and firm and gradually down to like a whisper.

sound kinda dumb i know, but it has really worked for us
Back to top Go down
Raptor105
Puppy
Puppy
Raptor105

Male Join date : 2012-02-08

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old Husky biting. Help!   7 month old Husky biting. Help! EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Mermaidista wrote:

Also You Tube "It's Me or the Dog-Diesel"

It was taped back in 2005, but Victoria Stilwell (the show host/trainer) deals with an unruly Husky...the show should help too!

That's a great article Nikki, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 7 month old Husky biting. Help!   7 month old Husky biting. Help! Empty

Back to top Go down

7 month old Husky biting. Help!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1