It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Natural Flea and Tick Preventative

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 4:39 pm

Danielle, FWIW I've used oils around cats and my mother in law uses them on her dogs and she has 3 cats, and we've never had a problem.

Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 5:18 pm

We've been using the oils for a couple of weeks now around our cats, and so far no problems.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Legend_of_Faolan
Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 5:31 pm

So as log as I don't use it ON the cats I'm good?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 5:41 pm

We have also been using it with cats, no problem at all. One of them was REALLY sensitive to the Tea Tree Oil, after application to the dogs collars he kept sneezing for about 3 days.

We stopped using the Tea Tree and are sticking to Lavender and Rose Geranium.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Cats here too, and no problems. Kale has been on oils for about 3 weeks so far.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Legend_of_Faolan
Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 6:31 pm

Awesome, I'll try it then!
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

Female Join date : 2012-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 12:03 am

Oh what a relief to read through this thread but I have a few questions. I have a cat but I see that those with cats have no issues. Plus she won't get near the cat so that's a plus.

To find the oils, I just search lavender oil on amazon? (for example)
I just put one drop on her collar and this will hopefully help with fleas and ticks?
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 12:12 am

You can find any of the oils on Amazon, that's what we did. We do one drop of each on Ghost's collar once per week.

We have cats in the house and so far we haven't had any reactions, but I have been reading up on essential oils and cats. Just be careful that you don't get any of the oil directly on the cat and you should be ok.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 12:13 am

Which ones do you use? I'd like to follow someone else's procedure since I've never done it before. And does age matter?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 12:21 am

You will need the rose geranium oil for the ticks, the lavender will work for the fleas (and mosquitoes we have noticed) You still have to use heartgard to be safe from heartworm. But it has cute our costs immensely and it's safer.
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 12:24 am

Great! Yes we plan on getting her heart worm pills. She's still too young for that so we have to wait. What brand did you use? I'm looking at amazon and there are sooo many! And she isn't too young for the oils? 1 month 3 weeks and 4 days :-)
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 12:29 am

I can't tell you about age because we just started using them around Ghost's first birthday. We use a drop each of lavender, tea tree, and rose geranium oils.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 12:33 am

Nope, she isn't too young for the oils. they aren't toxic so it wont hurt her. I don't suggest using the tea tree oil with your cat around. Ours started sneezing - so we just use lavender and rose geranium. I didn't order mine off amazon, I went to my local health food store and got bottles. It actually ended up being cheaper for me.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 9:07 am

For fleas you can use Lavender, Cedarwood, or Tea Tree oil. Any of those will work or you can use more than one if you prefer. I don't like the smell of Tea tree oil so I don't use that. I like Lavender but it's more expensive than Cedarwood, so I use Cedarwood oil.

Of course Rose Geranium is for ticks, not fleas so there aren't multiple oils to choose from for tick protection.

Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 5:53 pm

We ordered lavender and rose geranium oil so hopefully they will ship quickly. She's not scratching hardly at all today so that's a good sign.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Robyn, did you bathe her again? I would.

Also, purchase some diatomaceous earth - food grade. This will kill any left in your house. http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/diatomaceous_earth_fleas.html

Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 1:13 pm

Wow! Ordered her oils on Sunday and they already came in today. So I put drops all the way down her collar (One of the oils came with a dropper!) So do I need to let it dry or can I put it on her now?
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 3:59 pm

Hmm...good question. I've been putting the collars right back on the dogs with the oils still wet. Hmm. Maybe Val can answer this one!!

Has anyone tried the powder??
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 4:21 pm

Quote :
So do I need to let it dry or can I put it on her now?

I hope Val answers the question..

My Husky really didn't like the smell when I first put it on, so I decided to let it dry before putting the collar back on.
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 6:18 pm

I just bought some lavender oil today, just in case because fleas have been so bad for everyone else around me. When I came home, I found one flea on Ava. Perfect timing! However, I forgot how much I hated the smell of lavender until I have two dogs running around that smell like it. Ugggh.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 8:32 pm

I see no harm on putting the collar right back on provided the skin isn't in direct contact.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 8:37 pm

I have to agree with Len. Huskies have so much fur, I just put it right back on. They don't seem to notice too much. I don't worry about skin irritation because the oils would have to seep through all that darn fur to actually get to the skin.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 9:16 pm

I put my dog's collars back on right after applying oils, no need to wait.

Myndi, do you prefer the smell of Cedarwood or Tea Tree oil? You can use either of those instead of lavender if the lavender really bothers you. I use Cedarwood and my dog's smell like a brand new dog bed (the ones with cedar chips inside) lol

PostSubject: Re: Natural Flea and Tick Preventative   Natural Flea and Tick Preventative - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Natural Flea and Tick Preventative

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2