It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Weight issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mhmenefee
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2011-12-18

weight - Weight issues Empty
PostSubject: Weight issues   weight - Weight issues EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 5:31 am

Hello everyone! It's been awhile since i've been on here... Sorry lol. Anyways so I just wanted to ask whats the average weight of a husky at the age of 5 months? Nikko and I went to the park the other day and we saw another puppy about his age and this guy was remarkably bigger than Nikko. Nikko only weighs 29 lbs so I didn't know if he is in a healthy weight area. It seems like these past few weeks he's only gained 4 lbs total. He looks good and he's very happy I was just curious. And is it possible for him to grow a significant amount in the next few months even if he hasn't been growing that much in weight and size this past month and a half?

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Weight issues   weight - Weight issues EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 9:42 am

I think 29 lbs at 5 months is pretty reasonable, and I think Ghost was somewhere right around there at that age too. She did taper off pretty significantly on the weight gain right in that timeframe as well. Puppies are like kids, they will grow at different rates and some will be larger or smaller than others. This other puppy may have just had an early growth spurt or Nikko might wind up being a little on the small side. You never know at that age just how big they're going to be. I have a friend who has a 10 month old female who only weighs 25 lbs, yet my not quite 11 month old is a beast at 45 lbs. I'm sure Nikko is fine, but others may want to chime in as well.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

weight - Weight issues 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Weight issues   weight - Weight issues EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 11:05 am

My puppy is 4 month's old and is 27 pounds (he would probably be slightly larger if he hadn't got sick). Our vet said he's perfect weight, so I would think 5 months at 29 pounds is just fine, but that really depends on his build. You can always ask you're vet for his or her opinion as well Smile
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Weight issues   weight - Weight issues EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 1:25 pm

Luka is 43lbs at 5months and 1 week but he already seems he will be way taller than the breed standard so I would say 29lbs is fine - every pup is different and as long as she looks good, is happy and energetic I wouldn't worry too much!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Weight issues   weight - Weight issues EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 8:19 pm

Willow stayed tiny for so long that I really thought she was going to be a small dog. Well, that changed after about 16 months or so of age. She had a huge growth spurt and now at 20 months, she is on the high end of the female standard and she's pretty tall. It really does depend on the dog.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Weight issues   weight - Weight issues EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 9:47 pm

Mika wieghs in at 34 lbs with harness and leash on scale and she is 15 months old, though I haven't had a puppy puppy, i'd say its okay. The way I look at it is, if the dog is healthy and happy- its all good! Good luck though.
Back to top Go down
Thor2123
Newborn
Newborn
Thor2123

Male Join date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Weight issues   weight - Weight issues EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 5:36 pm

Thor is 38.9 at 5 months, but that doesnt seem underweight from what I've got from my vet. But it also depends on the parents and they all have different spurts at different ages like they mentioned earlier. but I'm sure he is healthy, happy and gorgeous
Back to top Go down
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Male Join date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Weight issues   weight - Weight issues EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 5:49 pm

My 16 week old puppy was weighed at his vet visit just yesterday and he is 20lbs. Your puppy's weights seems to be perfect for his age.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Weight issues   weight - Weight issues EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 11:38 am

Balon weighed 27 lbs at 3 months and 1 week.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Weight issues   weight - Weight issues EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Just so you all know we do have a thread dedicated to weight. Smile

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weight issues   weight - Weight issues Empty

Back to top Go down

Weight issues

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1