It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Not wanting to eat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 11:19 pm

So a while back i switched jasmine from cheapo generic dogfood to TOTW. We started out with wetlands and it went well. Here lately she had a bit of a loss of appetite so i thought maybe she was bored with it. We tried the lamb formula and she is still not wanting to eat it! One bowl has sat for two days now and she hasnt touched it! If i fix her an egg she will eat that and she still begs for people food. Do you think it's because the temps have been rising and she has lost appetite or she is bored with her food...or both? Is it ok to pour some canned chicken broth over it to entice her to eat? I really don't think I can switch to a raw diet but I don't mind mixing in a egg or pouring some broth on it every now and then.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 11:43 pm

I had the same problem with Ghost a few months ago, and a couple of folks on here said to not budge on the food. If you do, you will create a picky eater. What we were advised, and what we did, was just keep offering the food at regular feeding times and if she didn't eat within 10-15 minutes we put it up for later. If she's taking treats and begging for food, it most likely isn't a medical problem, just Jasmine testing her boundaries. She won't let herself starve, she will eat eventually. It may also be a function of the temperature rising and her not getting as much exercise as well, so she may not be hungry all the time either. Good luck!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Not wanting to eat 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 11:53 pm

I just mixed in some egg and poured on some chicken broth....she licked up the chicken broth and left everything else! I think my grama gives her some people food sometimes when i'm not here. I'll have to put a stop to that, pick up a bit on the walks, and wait it out a couple more days.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 12:07 am

Definitely put a stop to the people food, especially since besides killing her appetite, some people food can be really bad for dogs. Also, cut out treats for a while in case she's getting over fed with treats. The only thing I ever did to entice Ghost to eat her food was pour a little bit of warm water over it to release some of the aromas.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 12:15 am

You may have to give it more than a couple days. Appa has been testing us with food now for over a month. He'll eat that's for sure, but ONLY when he realizes he isn't getting anything else. We rarely rarely rarely give him any people food, and never from the table. But he still begs, usually from his bed across the room (where he gets 90% of all his treats). FWIW: He's 14 months old.

He is really showing what a stubborn Mal can do when he puts his mind to it.
Back to top Go down
bott6654
Puppy
Puppy
bott6654

Male Join date : 2012-02-03

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 am

Dakota is having a similar problem right now. I can DEFINITELY see him trying to test us. He's a smart little puppy. I'll just stick to our routine. We're also in the middle of transitioning him from BBW to TOTW so I really wish he would eat so we could get this transition period over with!! Not wanting to eat 85993
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 12:38 am

Hrm, this might just be because so many of us feed TOTW and not actually mean anything, but I'm noticing a trend: All three pups not wanting to eat are on TOTW.

Correlation does not imply causation, but I won't rule it out yet either ...
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 1:16 am

When Ghost pulled her little not wanting to eat thing, we were still on BW puppy. She loves the TOTW.

Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 8:05 am

I have been trying to switch Blaze to TOTW and he really will not eat much of it.. I have been mixing it with the food he has been on it picks out that and leaves the TOTW.
Back to top Go down
boricuadon
Newborn
Newborn
boricuadon

Male Join date : 2012-03-13

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 1:24 pm

what I did was leave it out for fifteeen minutes..if not put it away..next day again..on third day i would put a lil bit on the floor...ate it then stared at bowl..after a while came back and like all say here...realized there was nothing else and hunger took over
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 1:27 pm

Kya does this as well. She will DEVOUR the cheap food, but sometimes wont eat the good stuff for DAYS. We normally mix her raw egg in with the food and add a little bacon grease bc she doesn't keep weight on, but even then, there are times she wont eat.
Back to top Go down
V1per41
Newborn
Newborn
V1per41

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 1:17 am

At what point do you guys get concerned?

Our youngest, Loki, will sometimes go days without eating his food, and get very thin in the process. To the point where I'm embarrassed when other people see him, because they might think we are mistreating him.

He is in one of those fits now, and hit hip bones and spine are protruding, probably a good 5-10 pounds underweight. The only food he has had in the last 3 days are the treats we give him when leaving the house -- for going in his crate, and a treat before bed for going upstairs when we do. So we know it's not some kind of medical issue, because he is going crazy for the treats. It's also not the food as his sister is doing fine with it.

I hate to see him like this, but can't help but think that something is wrong.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 1:59 am

I do not have this problem with Bodhi, knock on wood.
He's a fiend for his food, and it's TOTW.

My previous husky, Tasha, was a really picky eater her entire life.
I got to the point where I was hand feeding her.
She just would not eat.
She's eat grass and then throw up yellow bile.
Days would go by and I would worry.

My vet said that huskies are very good at regulating their calories.
I was only feeding her once a day.
He said to cut the amount in half and feed her twice a day.
Put the food down and if she doesn't eat, pick it up after 15 minutes.
He also said she shouldn't get treats if she isn't eating her regular food.
I'd give her a treat if she ate her dinner.

But she was always like this.
We'd have normal months and then go through a spell of her not eating.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 1:31 pm

well if you wanted to really "test" him i would go back to the wetlands flavor and see if he eats that, some are just picky over the main protein in the food. i am lucky with my 2 and i can rotate every flavor of TOTW and they will eat it. again i do a 50/50 mix for jack of the changing TOTW and a constant nature domain that is salmon. sierra gets a mix of the low cal, ND and what ever TOTW we are on.

the fact that you are adding things to the food to get him to eat is HIM training you to "spice" it up or he will not eat, i would stop that and the people food and less treats, he could be filling up on all that other stuff and then just not want to eat.

Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Brewer has gone 48hrs without eating a few times since we rescued him 5+ months ago. During those periods he only consumed water and less than a tbs of peanut butter for his meds. We refuse to give in and let him have "table scraps" or treats. This mainly has to due with knowing that a healthy dog will eventually eat, and I don't want him filling up on peanut butter, scraps, and treats.

He is currently loving his .8 cups of Fromm Game Bird in the morning and .8 Cups Fromm Game Bird + 1/4 Cup (Dry ) Sojos Complete Beef in the evening.

I add a huge 2nd, 3rd, ...to those mentioning to not jazz up the kibble in order for your dog to eat!
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 3:34 pm

When Appa gets picky we stop all treats. If he doesn't want to eat then he doesn't get anything but kibble.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 3:36 pm

rileyflorence wrote:
When Appa gets picky we stop all treats. If he doesn't want to eat then he doesn't get anything but kibble.
and appa says... your so mean dad!!!!

all joking aside sometimes we just have to be the bad guy, think of it as getting your picky kid to get their veggies! would you put candy on them to get them to eat it? i would not.

Newborn
Newborn
Rezman

Male Join date : 2012-03-23

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 4:16 pm

Teila used to go 2-3 days without eating sometimes. She was always so small (34-36 pounds) that it worried us and we supplemented with diced beef or chicken, and it got to the point where we had to add some meat to every meal. She trained us well.

We are NOT going down that road with this pup. Puppy chow at meal times (picked up if she doesn't eat it,) small treats for using the grass, medium treats for going into her crate.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Rezman wrote:
Puppy chow at meal times (picked up if she doesn't eat it,)

not to be mean but are you really feeding puppy chow?

Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 4:29 pm

I hear it from Appa and my wife. I am so mean some times.
Back to top Go down
Rezman
Newborn
Newborn
Rezman

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 4:33 pm

jbealer wrote:
Rezman wrote:
Puppy chow at meal times (picked up if she doesn't eat it,)

not to be mean but are you really feeding puppy chow?

Wow, that was faster than I thought.

Every dog I've ever had was started on puppy chow until there was a need for anything else. She growing like a weed, smart as a whip so far, and hasn't had any issues with it. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there who spend all kinds of $$ on organic free-range pheasant & venison food, but I go with what works well, until it doesn't. My old car runs great on regular, why would I spend the money on premium?
Back to top Go down
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Rezman wrote:

Wow, that was faster than I thought.

I've seen quicker tongue
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 4:44 pm

Dogs aren't like cars. One is a sentient being, the other is a machine.

One can survive off of hamburgers and french fries for every meal. Their quality of life just isn't as good as if they eat healthy.
Back to top Go down
Rezman
Newborn
Newborn
Rezman

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 4:56 pm

I seem to be a richismacher wherever I go. jocolor

Seeing the vet in a few minutes, I'll see what he recommends. At our first visit he told us continuing on the puppy chow was fine. I'm open to new things as long as they are not hideously expensive or patently silly.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 4:58 pm

Vets and dog food Not wanting to eat 1625187496 we HERE have all concluded they know NOTHING about dog food other then what the dog food rep in the area is selling the vet....

Do you have a costco that carries nature domain? if not i think taste of the wild is the best cost effective grain free food one can get

Not wanting to eat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not wanting to eat   Not wanting to eat Empty

Back to top Go down

Not wanting to eat

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next