It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Finally went rollerjoring

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Finally went rollerjoring Empty
PostSubject: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 pm

I got the ok yesterday to start rollerblading, and actually my surgeon said that would be tremendous rehab for the old ankle. Since the weather was crap and I was super busy I didn't get to go yesterday, but I did take Ghost for a little spin today. We went approximately a mile, and she did pretty well. We need to work on distractions and we need to build her endurance some, but we both had a lot of fun. The last time I rollerbladed with a dog I think I was around 15, and it's been like 5 years since I was on skates at all, so I was a little wobbly at first but got my skating legs back quickly.

Finally went rollerjoring Photo11

Finally went rollerjoring Photo-10

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Finally went rollerjoring 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 11:23 pm

SQUIRREL!!!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 11:28 pm

iceblulady wrote:
SQUIRREL!!!

Yep, we had one of those moments tonight. I saw it coming though and braced, so she wasn't able to pull me where I didn't want to go.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 1:03 am

Ghost looks like she's having fun! If I did that with our Ghost, I'm sure I would end up in a ditch. Gotta keep your eyes peeled for cats and squirrels!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 1:30 pm

This is one activity I wish I could do with mine. I don't know how to rollerskate and I'm not sure I even can because of my issues with my left foot. It seems like such a fun way to burn the dogs energy.
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 3:18 pm

Incentive for Me to Break Out My Brand New RollerBlades <3 !!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 12:49 am

Had our third little rollerjoring session this evening, and I think she's getting comfortable with the whole pulling thing. We hit the street coming out of my driveway and she went like a bat out of hell for about a half mile. I think we may have to move this little operation up to the paved trail in town. The only negative is she's still kind of distractible, especially with other dogs and small animals (SQUIRREL!!!!).

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 1:33 pm

ken is a good inline skater, played inline hockey, i keep telling him to take one out at a time but he has not yet Sad i and not sure i could pull it off, i got to get air in the tire and get them out on the bike!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 2:00 pm

Ok, I'm looking into roller blades, but I know nothing about them. I can't spend an arm and a leg either. I found these.

thoughts?

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13071789&cp=3077572.3084895.2716606.2734287&pg=1&s=A-StorePrice-TSA&searchSort=TRUE&parentPage=family
Back to top Go down
Jem
Newborn
Newborn
Jem

Female Join date : 2011-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 2:34 pm

As long as they fit/support you right the should work just fine.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 3:33 pm

I need to Get Kelly to film me as I fly out of the house half awake with my two in the morning Razz. 6k and by the end they are DONE.

It looks like your having A LOT of fun Meredith.... and I know it can be a blast ^^.

Quote :
The only negative is she's still kind of distractible, especially with other dogs and small animals (SQUIRREL!!!!).

In terms of random dogs, and rodents, I just use my momentum and weight to keep going. Even with two of them yanking me in the same direction after a squirrel I can generally force an on by just by skating wide and pulling them past.

Quote :
Ok, I'm looking into roller blades, but I know nothing about them. I can't spend an arm and a leg either. I found these.

thoughts?

There's a Break even point when it comes to Blades.

The cheap ones are generally really really bad. The wheels on them suck to high hell and they are all plastic and feel like crap. I'm not saying you can't find a decent pair of blades for under 100 bucks, but in terms on quality and enjoyment you get what you pay for. In my experience once you hit the 130 - 150 buck mark you get a good skate.... Anything more than that and your just spending money for small increases. It can be worth it, it just all depends on what you want.

I've bought cheap blades, worn them once and shelved them for the year before. They just felt like crap.

When blade shopping for leisure your looking for Wheels, Comfort, Performance in that order. Brakes don't do a thing when your being pulled by a dog so if you find a good deal on hockey skates (inline hockey skates generally don't have a brake to allow for EASIER reverse skating) those are fine too.... Just learn how to drag one foot to slow yourself.

Most inline skates have a NUMBER in their description or name. In your example above Mel yours are 90s. The number represents the size of the wheel. they generally go from 72 to 100. The bigger the wheel the faster you can go, but you lose maneuverability. The smaller the wheel the more agile you can be, but less fast.

If your just learning how to skate I would try and find a pair of 76s or 80s. You'll pay less for them and will be a lot more stable just starting out.

Or get a pair that can support up to 90 and work your way up to better wheels as you wear yours out. I can't stress how important a good set of wheels are, and learning how to rotate your wheels when they wear.

The two really big brands are K2 and RollerBlade. You get what you pay for with them either way. Both generally offer speed lacing technologies (I put my foot into my K2s and pull a string and I'm out the door) and are just as fast to take off. Both tend to offer a lot of comfort...

I always recommend K2 skates however as they aren't a HARDBOOT like a lot of other brands. Most of the good K2 skates are a soft boot made with a memory foam type material... The more you skate the more it molds itself to your foot. It is braced with hard plastic, but the fact the boot is soft means they aren't digging into your shins, and are VERY breathable. These things are important especially when starting out.

K2 Athena Womens 78s

Above is a link to a really nice K2 pair only 10 dollars more then your roller derby find. They come with 78s wheels, but can be upgraded to 80s. hey are soft boot but aren't speed lacing.

K2 Athena Womens 80s

Those are the exact same skate but this years model with 80mm wheels and speed lacing tech BOA. 40 bucks more for something you really don't need.

The next two are RollerBlade Entry level skates. one at 120ish and the other is 99 right now.

RollerBlade Spiritblade

RollerBlade Womens Spark 80s

Both are 80mm wheel sets but the spark is aimed more at comfort with their side lacing and help on pressure points.

Whelp.... There you go Razz... Sorry for the Hijack and the Wall of text. I hope it helped Mel!!!!

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 8:55 pm

Wow, you're awesome Chris!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for the info!!!

Yes, smaller wheels would probably be good then! I used to skate all the time as I kid (I was pretty good), but it's been YEARS!!! It's going to take me a few days of skating on my own before having the courage to do it with a dog. I would like to start off with Asia since I can control her better, but she's only 9 months so I'll have to wait until October. Maybe if I feel EXTRA comfortable I'll take Kody with me. I think that keeping up the momentum and pulling them by the "object" (haha) will work best for me too!!

I'm definitely going to be getting one of these on payday this Friday! It makes me nervous that I won't be able to try them on though. In your experience do the sizes run small, large, or normal?
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 9:36 am

Anytime Mel Smile Happy to help.

Quote :
It makes me nervous that I won't be able to try them on though. In your experience do the sizes run small, large, or normal?

This is a really hard question. Everyone's feet are different and what is true for me may not be for you. And sizing is SOOOOO important. If your liner and skate doesn't fit right you won't use them ever.... They will just collect dust because they are too uncomfortable while skating.

That being said K2s are generally spot on for me. My K2 boots are the same size as my shoes and they fit me perfectly.

Honestly your best bet would be to get an idea of what blade you want and try and find a retail store close to you that carries them. SPORTS AUTHORITY I think carries some high end brands down in the US I believe.

If you can make it to a retail store you can at least try on some skates and see how the diffrent brand sizes fit you. (If your leaning towards buying a K2 skate try on K2 skates only until you find your size, vise versa for the RollerBlade). Once you got a good fit, and know the size you can just say sorry they aren't what you are looking for and go home and order there. on a side note.... If they Price Match you might be able to get them for the same price if you bring a print out and show the free shipping to the store as well.

That being said places like Inline Warehouse and other nice online retailers have good return policies. They understand you aren't trying them on in store and they might not be the right size.

Quote :
IW Guarantees Fit with FREE return shipping on skates. Return label request must be made within 7 calendar days of receipt. Order has to be made from within the contiguous United States. Skates are in NEW condition as described on customer service page

So as long as you return them within 7 days even the return shipping is free. Provided the Skate is still NEW.

Once you have your skate on you need to make sure they fit well. Wear the socks you will be skating in when you try on your skates for the first time.

Wiggle your toes.
You'll want to press your ankles back against the heel of the skate, while you wiggle. If your toes are crammed against the front of the skates, they're too tight. If your foot can jiggle around inside the skates while you hold your foot up, then they're too large. You want them as snug as possible without hurting.

Stand up and put your weight on each foot and see how it feels.

Move around a bit for a couple minutes and let the liner conform to your feet. Re-tighten the skates and make sure they're still snug.

You need them to be COMFY! If they aren't nothing else will matter.

There a decent video for Ice skate sizing here.... Most of it pertains to inline skates as well.

There ya go Mel Smile Hope it helped Smile

~Chris~

Newborn
Newborn
Jess-Crichton

Female Join date : 2012-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 4:38 pm

wait very important question I hope I am not repeating anything but .... how do you stop them from being distractable??? or will they just get over that in time???
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 4:49 pm

You have to be super vigilant for distractors, and as soon as you see them getting distracted use some sort of command to indicate to keep going. We use "on by", and I taught that by basically dragging her along and saying "on by!" until she got going again. She knows it well now.

Back to top Go down
Jess-Crichton
Newborn
Newborn
Jess-Crichton

Female Join date : 2012-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 4:54 pm

hmmm, maybe I should try practising that now with them =S but it is anything from dogs, to pigeons, to squirrels (there are five in the park I walk in), to cats .... the list is endless ^^;
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 5:52 pm

Jess-Crichton wrote:
hmmm, maybe I should try practising that now

That would help a lot my two get antsy when they see critters or birds and I just say "on by its just a ________ (fill in the blank). After a while they know enough to give up on t he idea of a good chase after what ever it was.
Back to top Go down
Wolfbandit
Puppy
Puppy
Wolfbandit

Female Join date : 2012-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 11:57 am

I want to do this with mine, but my problem is their feet. Can anyone recommend good booties who do rollerblading with their dog for asphalt/pavement/concrete? Our surfaces down here just get so hot that if I don't run them first thing in the morning, by nine or ten the temperatures are already over 100*. Hopefully this will be changing soon with 'winter' (LOL) coming in.

I tried some cheap petsmart booties when Steele was younger, but they fell off every five steps no matter how I put them on.

P.S. If this is considered hijacking your thread, I'm sorry! I just felt like it was on topic, and something else people might want to look into for their dogs xD
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 1:11 pm

https://www.dogbooties.com/
good and cheap! love them!

http://musherssecret.net/
great for healing pads and protection

Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Female Join date : 2012-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 1:30 am

I took Kao roller blading today for the first time and OMG she loved it!! Shes soo pooped out now. Before i was just taking her to the dog park for exercise, but after a couple bad experiences i thought i would find a difference method. Im kind of worried about it being too much for her though since shes still only 7 months old.....
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 1:40 am

If she's still only 7 months, I'd back off a bit. We did some *very* short bikejoring sessions with Ghost starting around 9 months, and even that was on the early side. She probably hasn't finished growing yet, which means the growth plates are still open and could be damaged by the impact.

That being said, glad she had fun! That will really be something for you guys to look forward to doing more and more as she gets older, and you're lucky that you guys don't get the oppressive heat up there that we do down here. We couldn't do any joring from May through the beginning of October because of that.

Back to top Go down
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Female Join date : 2012-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 1:53 am

Ok that makes sense thank you! She doesn't pull a whole lot yet just runs beside me but ill keep it short and sweet for now.

Sunny weather doesn't sound so bad to me, We're supposed to be getting snow here within the next few weeks! Razz
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 1:57 am

Sunny weather is great until it's 98F with 85% humidity Razz

I'm actually looking forward to the prospect of snow when I move to Maryland in a couple weeks.

Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 9:07 pm

Can't wait to do this with my new Husky. I've played hockey for 17 years and I'm an excellent skater. Have a harness on the way.

What do yall think is a good age to start them rollerjoring?? It doesn't really qualify as weight pulling in the same way sledding does, but it does imply vigorous running.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Personally, I would wait until at LEAST one year of age. I won't start canicross with Sheba until at least 14 months. When you start before the growth plates are closed, you risk major damage. You can start the training for it at around 8 months, but no REAL rollerjoring.

If you do research on the effects of major exercising before the growth plates are closed, you can come to your own educated decision as well. This is just how I personally feel and how I will go about it with Sheba. She is 9 months old right now, and we are starting with the commands for running.

Also you need to make sure you get your pup checked out by a vet to make sure they are stable enough for rigorous exercise. What I did with Kennedy is that I took her to both a conventional and holistic vet before deciding to go ahead with training. As Sheba grows, she has also been regularly checked by vets.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally went rollerjoring   Finally went rollerjoring Empty

Back to top Go down

Finally went rollerjoring

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next